Groupie
United States
Joined 5586 days ago

53 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French, Russian, German

Message 9 of 27
24 July 2012 at 4:49am | IP Logged 
In my family we called some close friends of my grandparents uncle and aunt. This seems more like an
exception though.

Edited by Baracuda on 24 July 2012 at 4:59am

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 10 of 27
24 July 2012 at 4:54am | IP Logged 
yong321 wrote:
> it works in Russian and Finnish as well

Maybe case (B). But it's a little surprising that "a child will not usually address them this way".
I think every language is unique in this regard, there's no case A, B, C. It's surprising enough that these can be used not just about family members.

In Finnish and Russian this form doesn't always work well without a name. So the difference isn't necessarily stranger vs friend, but it may depend on whether you know the name of the person.

The main difference between the two languages here is that Russian kids are expected to be more formal than that when addressing strangers, while Finnish kids can easily be less formal than that. With Russian kids this may well extend to family friends, but I'm less sure about Finnish ones.

The variation isn't just between languages but also within them.

Edited by Serpent on 24 July 2012 at 4:55am

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6160 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 27
24 July 2012 at 5:01am | IP Logged 
yong321 wrote:
> In the US and I imagine many other countries, kids will call family friends uncle
> and aunt. We say that in Singapore as well.

I disagree. Here's a scene. A Chinese in the US greets his male same-age friend at the door. If the friend
is a Chinese or Chinese American, the father would like his child to say to his friend "shu1shu1 hao3"
(literally "Hello Uncle"). But if the friend is not a Chinese, this greeting ("Hello Uncle") would be awkward
and confusing to say the least. That's why I consider US to be case (C) (see Message 4): "uncle" is only
used for the family relative.

If the person's name was John, the greeting would be "Hello, Uncle John." It wouldn't be confusing or
awkward because it is a culturally acceptable way to call a family friend.
3 persons have voted this message useful

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5613 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 12 of 27
24 July 2012 at 5:11am | IP Logged 
yong321 wrote:
Looks like there're three cases, instead of two.

(A) Even a *stranger* on a bus may be called aunt, uncle, grandpa, grandma, older brother/sister. Countries having this usage: Japan, China.
(B) A *good friend* may be called aunt, .... Countries: UK, Turkey, Germany
(C) *Only family members or relatives* are called like this. Countries: US

I think Brazil would fit the first scenario, with tio/tia being used to address strangers. I never noticed this use of tio/a in Portugal. And in Spain tío, as well as meaning uncle, is slang meaning guy/bloke, so it's not used to address strangers in quite the same way.   

yong321
Groupie
United States
yong321.freeshe
Joined 5323 days ago

80 posts - 104 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 13 of 27
24 July 2012 at 5:21am | IP Logged 
> in the US we often use "brother" or "sister" with strangers and acquaintances
> alike, usually when we're agreeing with them about something in a conversation.

I know. But let's not consider that usage, which is informal (almost like "man" or "dude" as in "hi man").

> In Finnish and Russian this form doesn't always work well without a name

A good point! In Chinese, there's no such requirement (a name can be omitted).

> Russian kids are expected to be more formal than that when addressing strangers

This makes me think your case is the same as using "brother"/"sister" when agreeing with him/her in a conversation, and it's probably only in an informal conversation, isn't it? If so, I would not consider it for now.

> If the person's name was John, the greeting would be "Hello, Uncle John." It
> wouldn't be confusing or awkward because it is a culturally acceptable way to call a
> family friend.

I guess some families in the US do that. My neighbor's kids always call me by the first name and I moved several times in the past 20 years. Hmm, no kid ever called me an uncle!

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4438 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 14 of 27
24 July 2012 at 9:38am | IP Logged 
In Czech, "Uncle John" and "Aunty Mary" are used by the children too. The difference may be that a child won't address an adult "Uncle John" unless the parents will introduce their friends as such.
Less often, there are even "Grandma Jane" and "Grandpa Peter". Often, they are either friends of the grandparents or were once "Uncle" or "Aunty" to the parents. My nieces have several uncles and aunties outside the real familiar connection, as well as at least two extra grandmas... Again, the parents or grandparents decide if a person gets addressed as such.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5313 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 27
24 July 2012 at 12:43pm | IP Logged 
Northeastern US here. I can confirm that several families
had honorary uncles and aunts when I was growing up. This
was typically a close friend of the parents who had an
ongoing and affectionate relationship with the kids.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 16 of 27
24 July 2012 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
yong321 wrote:
> Russian kids are expected to be more formal than that when addressing strangers

This makes me think your case is the same as using "brother"/"sister" when agreeing with him/her in a conversation, and it's probably only in an informal conversation, isn't it? If so, I would not consider it for now.
Nope. As I said, there's nothing wrong with a parent referring this way to a stranger in his/her presence. Like "let the aunt pass". That's like THE way to refer to anyone when talking to a child.

I said "doesn't always work well without a name". Sometimes it's fine, sometimes it isn't. That's not a requirement.

And why are you deciding what to consider and what not to? Yeah it's different from Chinese, so what? I found this thing about brother/sister fascinating for example, because I've rarely seen them used so casually, without a spiritual/religious undertone. (apart from "cool story, bro"). Please stop dismissing examples just because it works differently than in Chinese.

That's a great topic so the more the merrier!!!

Edited by Serpent on 24 July 2012 at 3:18pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version