United States
Joined 5754 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 27
24 July 2012 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
I also knew a family from New Delhi India whose children addressed me as Auntie.

1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6696 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 27
24 July 2012 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
The Swedish word "farbror" ("father's brother"=paternal uncle) can indeed refer to "an old(er) man" (similarly, "tant" means both "aunt" and "an old(er) woman"). I've been called "farbror" at work (by parents talking to their kids). My image of a "farbror" however, is something like this:

2 persons have voted this message useful

yong321
Groupie
United States
yong321.freeshe
Joined 5329 days ago

80 posts - 104 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 19 of 27
24 July 2012 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
As I said, there's nothing wrong with a parent referring this way to a stranger in his/her presence. Like "let the aunt pass". That's like THE way to refer to anyone when talking to a child.
And why are you deciding what to consider and what not to?

I thought the Russian way of saying "uncle" was as informal as in "cool story, bro". Sorry for my misunderstanding. I'd like to dismiss examples only if it's too informal, or if the title applies to only a very specific person in a specific group (imagine a well respected old man in a church where everyone dearly calls him "Grandpa"). The reason for these dismissals is that in these cases, these family relative names can be used across all cultures, not culturally sensitive or interesting.

Thanks for everyone's examples. I think I must say there's nothing absolute, especially the distinction between my case (B) and (C). It's more like a continuing spectrum. One one extreme, a stranger on the bus can be called "uncle" if he, for instance, yields his seat to a little kid, who would say "Thank you, Uncle!". On the other extreme, the man has to have fairly close relationship with the child or his parents to be addressed that way. It's the degree of the closeness, maybe among other factors, that maps into the continuing spectrum.

mikonai
Diglot
United States
weirdnamewriting.bloRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4716 days ago

178 posts - 281 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Swahili, German

Message 20 of 27
24 July 2012 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
When I was a kid, my whole family went to East Africa as missionaries. There were quite a
few other families there, most from the American South. Within the missionary community
every adult was "uncle" or "aunt." I was under the impression that it was sort of a
Southern custom for friends of the family. It sort of functioned as a familiar term of
respect. The adults didn't want us to call them "Mr." and "Mrs.", but Southerners do tend
to stick my using their terms of respect. "Aunt" and "Uncle" sort of filled in the gap
between a friend and a respected person. In Kansas, where I live now, the term isn't used
in that context. Most adults just pick one side or the other: you call someone "Mr." or
"Mrs." (or maybe "Ms.") until they say: "Oh, please just call me Bob/Sarah." It was a bit
of an adjustment, coming back. I was neither used to calling anyone Mr. or Mrs. nor
calling them just by their first name.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4646 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 21 of 27
24 July 2012 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
In Poland children often call "aunt" or "uncle" friends of their parents or even some people with whom these children have a strong and good contact, but they aren't necessary friends of their parents.

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5352 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 22 of 27
24 July 2012 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
In the day when I was barrister (i.e. trial attorney) I did a case with 15 Sri Lankan
witnesses, none of whom were 'blood' relatives in the western European sense. By day 5
the judge was beginning to pull his hair out when the question asked was: 'and who were
you with at the meeting on 12 December' and the answer was 'my uncle' - meaning one of
the other parties to the action. In the end the judge had to ban the word 'uncle' and
make every one refer to names - which was only marginally better as 4 of the parties had
the same name.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5121 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 23 of 27
24 July 2012 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
When I was a kid I was taught to refer to all of my mother's friends as aunt and uncle. When I tried to make
my kids call my best friend "aunt Anne" they protested, since she is not a blood relative. It is not common
anymore.

My Peruvian friend has her children call me "la tita Cristina" , and I love that. She feels like my sister and they
feel like my nephew and niece anyhow.

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4426 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 24 of 27
25 July 2012 at 10:40am | IP Logged 
In Spain children can also address friends of their parents as "tío/tía".

However, "tío, tía" is used by young people in Spain also when speaking to a friend (more or less similar to "dude" or "mate" in English), but this is considered very colloquial.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version