United States
Joined 4174 days ago

112 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 81 of 439
21 November 2012 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
Hi luke,

I was wondering if you had copies of the Le Petit Prince material? It seems that Frank Ilya's website has gone down.
Thanks for the help if you could!
1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6986 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 82 of 439
21 November 2012 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
Here is Le Petit Prince on youtube. It is a different recording, but it looks like the whole book and has some animations to go along with it.

También hay este video completo de la historia del Principito en español.

Et Le Petit Prince comme pièce de théâtre.

Edited by luke on 21 November 2012 at 8:26pm

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6986 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 83 of 439
23 November 2012 at 2:37am | IP Logged 
jhaberstro wrote:
I was wondering if you had copies of the Le Petit Prince material? It seems that Frank Ilya's website has gone down.

I can get to Frank Ilya's website today.

Edited by luke on 23 November 2012 at 2:38am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6986 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 84 of 439
23 November 2012 at 2:58am | IP Logged 
Today I went through lessons 17-33 in French Without Toil twice. I listen and read the lessons and looked at the notes. I wrote out lesson 24. French Without Toil is a little more intense in the reviews than New French with Ease. Since I'm writing out each lesson, the review for 21 had me writing out the conjugation of a couple dozen "er" verbs in the present tense. Eventually all this reviewing and revising has to make things stick. I'm confident in the method.

In Using French today was lessons 24-33 with a focus on 26. This new approach, reading out several lessons in advance and reviewing a couple is more fun and I think I'm learning better. I'm flexible on the days ahead and back to go. Basically I start out with the current lesson, then back up one (lesson 23), and another (22). After doing a deep dive on the current lesson (24), highlighting the notes and listening 3-5 times, I start going forward one lesson at a time. The Using French sessions may come in a total of 3-5,6 or 7 in a single day. Some sessions are just listen/reading a single lesson.

jhaberstro
United States
Joined 4174 days ago

112 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 85 of 439
24 November 2012 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
jhaberstro wrote:
I was wondering if you had copies of the Le Petit Prince material? It seems that
Frank Ilya's website has gone down.

I can get to the-little-prince&catid=6:2012-01-31-19-04-23&Itemid=10">Fra nk Ilya's website today.
Awesome,
thanks for pointing that out! :-)

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6986 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 86 of 439
25 November 2012 at 2:06am | IP Logged 
Aujourd'hui was a lot like yesterday. One lesson further in both Assimil courses. I shadowed the range of French Without Toil lessons I'm working on in the car, roughly 15-35.

I'm about a week into the Ardaschir (Professor Arguelles) method of approaching Assimil and I do find it beneficial. Since I'm getting close to the 10 lesson mark in the transition, I won't have to necessarily force myself back quite as many lessons as I have been. E.G., Today I wrote lesson 26. Tomorrow, I'll want to revise 25, 26, and also go out front to about lesson 37 as I focus on lesson 28. The 2 day review of the written lesson seems like the minimum sensible revision, since overlearning is very important to me long term. More revision is good, but the main thing is to have a sort of minimum standard. Extra is fine, less occassionally is okay if I'm busy or tired.

I find the same thing with Using French. Going out a lesson or two further than my target in the preview is okay, but the most important is to review the previous couple lessons.

Edited by luke on 25 November 2012 at 2:09am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6986 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 87 of 439
28 November 2012 at 10:51am | IP Logged 
Ce matin I spent a good hour and a half going through about 15 lessons in French Without Toil. I started at 39 and worked backwards to 24. Last night I wrote out lesson 29, so that gives a good idea of the "extension forward" method I'm using, although Ardaschir didn't say one would be spending that much time each day. In another video, Professor Arguelles does mention that one could spend multiple hours per day, spread out throughout the day on a single language with Assimil. That totally makes sense if one wants to come up to speed as quickly as possible and the time is available.

My wife will be out of town on business in a few days and that opens up some additional study time. The question I'm asking myself is, do I go through Le Petit Prince again, or do I do a grand review of French Without Toil? I'll keep you posted. The deeper I go into this Assimil course, the more I see there is to it. Luca had mentioned in one of his videos that one could spend an hour a day for a year on an Assimil course in order to really get it under one's belt.

I've been marching forward lesson by lesson in Using French too. I'm on lesson 32 today, so that's a deep dive into the notes. Reviews of 30-31 and extending out several lessons 33-3x are on the agenda time permits.

Edited by luke on 28 November 2012 at 4:57pm

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6986 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 88 of 439
28 November 2012 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
Now I'm thinking I'll listen/read Voyage to the Center of the Earth. I had started that book many years ago and liked it better than Around the World in 80 days, which I listen/read through a few times about 5 years ago. I'm talking about next week... Just recording that note for posterity.

Today I wrote out lesson 30 in French Without Toil. I listened to several lessons on either side of it and shadowed 1-14 or so.

I did mild shadowing of some of the early Using French lessons.

I should sleep good tonight because I slept little last night.

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version