Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4691 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 161 of 439
29 January 2014 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
I love that the idea of getting stuck in traffic is now a positive thing! I remember
being very pleased to have to make a 5-hour (each way) drive last summer. On the way up
I worked on FSI units 1-4 (for the first time ever), and several Pimsleur lessons. On
the way down I listened to Assimil and some stories.

Road trip = more language time!
2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6987 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 162 of 439
29 January 2014 at 12:25pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
I love that the idea of getting stuck in traffic is now a positive thing! I remember
being very pleased to have to make a 5-hour (each way) drive last summer. On the way up
I worked on FSI units 1-4 (for the first time ever), and several Pimsleur lessons. On

Norman Vincent Peale would be proud of us.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4691 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 163 of 439
29 January 2014 at 12:42pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
Jeffers wrote:
I love that the idea of getting stuck in traffic is now a
positive thing! I remember

Norman Vincent Peale would
be proud of us.

Ha! I went to his church in NYC when I was a kid.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6987 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 164 of 439
29 January 2014 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
luke wrote:
Jeffers wrote:
I love that the idea of getting stuck in traffic is now a
positive thing! I remember

Norman Vincent Peale would
be proud of us.

Ha! I went to his church in NYC when I was a kid.

And I just visited NYC and saw the church.

It's a small world after all.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6987 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 165 of 439
29 January 2014 at 4:00pm | IP Logged 
I posted this in the TAC thread, but maybe it belongs here...
I've been following 3 major tracks.

1) FSI/DLI drill track. This has been helpful, especially FSI. I'm into unit 5 of 24 now. I came up with an approach to make getting through FSI easier. That is, rather than perfect each unit one at a time until the end... Do this:

a) Learn the dialogue. That's on tape 1 of each unit.
b) Go on to tape 2, which is usually pretty easy. It has lexical drills (variations of phrases in the dialogue).
c) Continue with tapes through the Grammar / Learning exercises. There are also meant to be fairly easy.
d) Skip the Practice exercises if they are difficult. At least, don't spend the time to perfect them.
e) Don't worry too much about drills you don't get down, unless they are "Learning" drills. (then only sweat it a little).
f) Skip the Review drills.
g) Move on to the next unit.

Later, once you either finish the course or even the approach above becomes too difficult to continue, then go back and do it again, but include the Practices and Reviews.

2) Extensive track - This involves listen/reading or sometimes just listening to audiobooks. Some have been Le Petit Prince, Petit Nicolas, Le Sens du Bonheur du Krishnamurthi, La Puissance de votre subconscient, l'étranger, etc.

On this track, I'm considering "easy" audiobooks or lectures that I haven't actually read. One tickling my fancy is Les Trois Mousquetaires. That would be something to listen to while working out. The challenge with a long novel though is that if the mind wanders too long, it detracts from the story.

3) Intensive track - Assimil. The goal is to learn the vocabulary and map the sounds to the words, etc. I've been lax at learning every word and reading the text at times, but I continue, and that's what matters.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4140 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 166 of 439
30 January 2014 at 9:03am | IP Logged 
I have also been tempted to find shortcuts with FSI. It does stress however the importance of not moving on untill everything is learned and used automatically. We, on the other hand, having no teacher, have to use other courses as well, which makes the full FSI use seem like a waste of time. I guess there are no ideal situations. :)

3 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6987 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 167 of 439
31 January 2014 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
I think not memorizing the dialog is a common shortcut we take. I don't feel too bad about that one. It takes a long time to memorize a dialog and the payoff isn't great.

I've looked ahead a few more units and I think I'll be putting my "go easy on the practice and review drills" theory to work. It's not such a stretch. A "survey" is frequently recommended before the deep dive.

Edited by luke on 19 March 2014 at 7:52am

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4691 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 168 of 439
31 January 2014 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
I haven't found the practice and review drills to be that much of a chore. Except the
drills which gave increasingly large numbers, and the ones with dates (I can't remember
which units, but somewhere around unit 5). Such as:
and so on.

I just had a tough time remembering the number as it got longer. It about drove me
crazy! But I think those sections are really good brain workouts, and recognizing long
numbers and dates on the fly is actually a pretty important skill.

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version