Diglot
United States
Joined 6990 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 225 of 439
30 May 2014 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
I finished up lesson 40 of 40 this morning in Assimil Business French. That feels good. It's been tougher to keep on task with it this last week or two. Now, all I have left for this trip through are the follow-up refresher waves, which will only take 5 - 15 minutes a day, rather than 45-60, so that's a big load off.

What to do with all my new spare time?

Well, my plan has evolved to thinking in terms of a primary study goal, and supplementary materials. A few days ago I started putting together an idea for the rest of the year.

Here is the order of "primary materials" I came up with:
    Assimil Business French (now complete and winding down).
    Du Contrat Social - Jean Jacques Rousseau's classic. There is a good recording at http://audiocite.net/.
    FSI Dialogue writing and Tape 2 Magic
    Candide by Voltaire
    FSI 7-12
    Madame Bovary

I may even split those Primary goals up into weekly segments just to keep things changing and exciting. That would be more back and forth between FSI and Literature.

For the Literature/Great Books, I'm thinking an extensive attack like:
Read/Listen (French/English)
Listen/Read (French/English)
Listen (French)

Second string - note, these are sequential, not simultaneous.
    Business French (trailing wave - 5 minutes/day)
    French Without Toil - back to front (start with lesson 140, and work towards beginning)

WC
    New French With Ease back to front
    Using French back to front

Additional supplements (mostly done in the car)
    Listen and Speak recordings (good articulation - more touristy vocabulary - short recordings)
    Learn French in your Car - Kind of a grammar by listening approach. This got too boring last time I tried. We'll see how it goes this time.
    RFI French Facile Radio

I listened to Du Contrat Social and Candide in the car for preview listen only waves. That just finished up. My comprehension wasn't at all what I want it to be. I understood the gist.

Edited by luke on 30 May 2014 at 10:17pm

1 person has voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5261 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 226 of 439
31 May 2014 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
You're doing well Luke, actually really well. Business French I haven't even looked at
let alone Using French. Keep up the good work. As for your plan... well as long as you
keep learning!
2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6990 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 227 of 439
31 May 2014 at 2:51am | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
You're doing well Luke, actually really well. Business French I haven't even looked at let alone Using French. Keep up the good work. As for your plan... well as long as you keep learning!

Thanks Peter. You've been very helpful along the way.

Just a couple hours ago my wife suggested we go to San Juan Puerto Rico for a few days. That makes me feel like I should ramp my Spanish way up and let my French wind way down, so that will throw a monkey wrench (or spanner) into the French study plan for a while.

Long term, I don't think this will be bad. I've not studied Spanish intensely for a few years, so it will be good to dust off all the cobwebs for a few months.

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5261 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 228 of 439
31 May 2014 at 3:06am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
You're doing well Luke, actually really well.
Business French I haven't even looked at let alone Using French. Keep up the good work.
As for your plan... well as long as you keep learning!

Thanks Peter. You've been very helpful along the way.

Just a couple hours ago my wife suggested we go to San Juan Puerto Rico for a few days.
That makes me feel like I should ramp my Spanish way up and let my French wind way
down, so that will throw a monkey wrench (or spanner) into the French study plan for a
while.

Long term, I don't think this will be bad. I've not studied Spanish intensely for a few
years, so it will be good to dust off all the cobwebs for a few months.

I feel the same about my Spanish lately. I'd vote that it's not worth it. If I were in
your position I'd enjoy your break in San Juan which is a few days in length and stick
to the big picture of improving your French. You can get back to your Spanish later. In
my experience (I went through the same wanderlust yesterday) best to keep your eyes on
the prize until the time is really right to pick your Spanish back up

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6990 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 229 of 439
31 May 2014 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
luke wrote:
Just a couple hours ago my wife suggested we go to San Juan Puerto Rico for a few days. That makes me feel like I should ramp my Spanish way up and let my French wind way down for a while.

Long term, I don't think this will be bad. I've not studied Spanish intensely for a few years, so it will be good to dust off all the cobwebs for a few months.

I feel the same about my Spanish lately. I'd vote that it's not worth it. If I were in
your position I'd enjoy your break in San Juan which is a few days in length and stick
to the big picture of improving your French. You can get back to your Spanish later. In my experience (I went through the same wanderlust yesterday) best to keep your eyes on the prize until the time is really right to pick your Spanish back up

The lord giveth, the lord taketh away. My wife's decided that although airfare was cheap, accommodations aren't, so she's scrapping the trip to San Juan.

I think I will turn up Spanish a little more, but still keep it pretty low key. A few FSI drills in the car and perhaps an audiobook now and then while working out.

EnglishEagle
United Kingdom
Joined 4360 days ago

140 posts - 157 votes 
Studies: English*, German

Message 230 of 439
31 May 2014 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
luke wrote:
Just a couple hours ago my wife suggested we go to San
Juan Puerto Rico for a few days. That makes me feel like I should ramp my Spanish way up and let my French wind
way down for a while.

Long term, I don't think this will be bad. I've not studied Spanish intensely for a few years, so it will be good to dust
off all the cobwebs for a few months.

to the big picture of improving your French. You can get back to your Spanish later. In my experience (I went
through the same wanderlust yesterday) best to keep your eyes on the prize until the time is really right to pick your
Spanish back up

The lord giveth, the lord taketh away. My wife's decided that although airfare was cheap, accommodations aren't, so
she's scrapping the trip to San Juan.

I think I will turn up Spanish a little more, but still keep it pretty low key. A few FSI drills in the car and perhaps an
audiobook now and then while working out.

I haven't had chance to go through all the thread, but how's your French progressing?

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4994 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 231 of 439
01 June 2014 at 3:05am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:

The lord giveth, the lord taketh away. My wife's decided that although airfare was cheap, accommodations
aren't, so she's scrapping the trip to San Juan.

Or, in this case, the lady giveth, the lady taketh away...
(Sorry - couldn't resist.)

And hearty congratulations on finishing Business French! - I have a copy sitting (as yet untouched) on my
bookshelf.

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4801 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 232 of 439
01 June 2014 at 9:57am | IP Logged 
I don't know why but I've been wanting to start Spanish as well. Strange, isn't it? :)

Hearty congratulations on your progress with the Assimil Books.
(Like most things,) Assimil is easy to start. Finishing is what's difficult.
I should know. I gave up on New French with Ease when I was half way into the book. The other two books are still on my shelf. Untouched. :)

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version