United States
Joined 6992 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 233 of 439
01 June 2014 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
EnglishEagle wrote:
I haven't had chance to go through all the thread, but how's your French progressing?

Poco a poco, se va lejos.
Peu à peu, vous allez loin.
Pas à pas, on va bien loin.

Edited by luke on 07 June 2014 at 11:18am

1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6992 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 234 of 439
01 June 2014 at 12:30pm | IP Logged 
napoleon wrote:
I don't know why but I've been wanting to start Spanish as well. Strange, isn't it? :)

Hearty congratulations on your progress with the Assimil Books.
(Like most things,) Assimil is easy to start. Finishing is what's difficult.
I should know. I gave up on New French with Ease when I was half way into the book. The other two books
are still on my shelf. Untouched. :)

I do think the "listen/read" the whole course is a good way to get the book opened. Follow that with a "just do
a lesson a day, whether that's 15 minutes or 50" helps get a footing in the course. If you become
disheartened, reduce your study time for each lesson to maybe 5 or 15 minutes, but keep going. Any wave
can of course be followed up by more waves, learning a bit more each day.

And Spanish? If there isn't a real world use for it, I think it's best to maintain the current course. It's much
easier to maintain or revive a language that's been taken to a fairly high level. For me, before that, I haven't
accomplished what I first set out to do.   But we all have our differences.

Edited by luke on 01 June 2014 at 1:59pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4803 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 235 of 439
01 June 2014 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
You're right of course. I'm not going to study Spanish now.
I just found it curious that you, Peter and I, all students of French, were drawn towards Spanish at almost the same time. :)

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6992 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 236 of 439
06 June 2014 at 10:38am | IP Logged 
napoleon wrote:
You're right of course. I'm not going to study Spanish now.
I just found it curious that you, Peter and I, all students of French, were drawn towards Spanish at almost the same time. :)

C'est vrai, et c'est intéressant. Nous sommes tous les mêmes.

Cristianoo
Triglot
Brazil
https://projetopoligRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3908 days ago

175 posts - 289 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, FrenchB2, English
Studies: Russian

Message 237 of 439
06 June 2014 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
Vous êtes tous fous de langues et espagnol c'est une langue très proche du français. Ça
ne me fait pas surprise! :)

luke, vous étudiez encore l'Esperanto? Je trouve très difficile d'accompagner deux
langues au même temps...
3 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6992 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 238 of 439
08 June 2014 at 12:34am | IP Logged 
I just started using Anki again a few days ago. My first thought was just to start with the 5000 word Routledge Frequency Dictionary. The idea of starting near the beginning was just not to overlook or unknowingly misunderstand common word.
My plan wsa to add maybe 10 entries per day. I started around word 50 of the dictionary, so it is pretty easy. A few common words can be tricky though. Prepositions mostly. Also, many words have multiple meanings. So far, I've just stuck with the definition in the dictionary, which is short and simple.

Here it is a few days later. I'm not in trouble yet, but according to my original estimate of adding maybe 10/20 (with backs) a day, I have well over 100 cards. If I keep this up, I can see getting in trouble. Not so much with the frequency dictionary, but with other vocabulary I want to add.

I also started using a book called Reading French in the Arts and Sciences. The introduction to the book mentions making flashcards, so I put my Anki deck to work. The most notable thing in chapter 1 was the False Friends. I.E., words that look like cognates, but aren't. One of those for me in French was "important", which the book translates as "large". Wordreference gives other meanings, such as "influential", "important", etc. For me, the revelation was that a phrase like, "un magasin important" may mean "a large store", rather than "an important or influential" store.

Anyway, I added false friends from Chapter 1 to a new Anki deck.

I'm also thinking about adding words from Assimil courses. Mind you, these are courses I've been through before, so most of the vocabulary isn't new. None of it is new, but some of it may never have been fully grasped.

You can see where I'm going with this.

So far, I've only been doing 5-8 minutes a day. That's where I'd like to keep it. I'd also like to learn all the mysterious vocabulary in my courses. How do you keep from creating an Anki Monster?

Edited by luke on 08 June 2014 at 1:11am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6992 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 239 of 439
08 June 2014 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
Cristianoo wrote:
Vous êtes tous fous de langues et espagnol c'est une langue très proche du français. Ça ne me fait pas surprise! :)

luke, vous étudiez encore l'Esperanto? Je trouve très difficile d'accompagner deux
langues au même temps...

He pensado que no puedo estudiar los dos o los tres lenguas al mismo momento. Es demasiado fácile confundarlos. No sé lo que voy a hacer.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4696 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 240 of 439
09 June 2014 at 11:25am | IP Logged 
I quite like the Routledge frequency dictionary idea. I've used it on and off for the
last two years, and I've gotten up to word 1900. I plan to get up to 2500 by the end of
this year, and I'll probably keep going until I finish the book. But I wouldn't
recommend making cards on Assimil as well; most of the words in Assimil will be in the
Routledge deck anyway.

EDIT: I meant to mention one of the shortcomings of the Routledge dictionary. It
doesn't give alternate forms for adjectives, which I like to have on my cards. So I
usually have the collins online dictionary open while I'm adding cards to anki, and check
words out. It is also useful for getting alternate definitions of words, because
sometimes the definition given in the Routledge dictionary had me scratching my head.

Edited by Jeffers on 09 June 2014 at 11:59am

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version