Joined 6965 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 257 of 439
25 June 2014 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
rlnv wrote:
luke wrote:
Course overload is setting in. I'm looking forward to the "back to front" feature
I'm using for French Without Toil (FWT) and New French with Ease to kick in.

Have you given thought to doing extensive watching of a series of French shows? I've read opinions in
various threads where the author advocates extensive input. Also I've seen emk mention doing massive
input with the Buffy series, in his log.

My understanding is that it works best with a series that has accurate French transcriptions. Also, a show
that uses a lot of common every day language may be most helpful. I'll be going down this road, after I empty
my current queue, so maybe in a couple months.   

That's a great idea. I guess it's a question of finding the right series at the right level. I haven't been
watching much in the line of "drama" for a long time. Most of what I see is competitive reality shows like The
Apprentice, MasterChef, Top Chef, Hell's Kitchen, and Biggest Loser.

Hopefully you'll have some suggestions for me down the road :) By then, my queue may have opened up as
well.
1 person has voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5151 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 258 of 439
26 June 2014 at 5:39am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:

That's a great idea. I guess it's a question of finding the right series at the right level. I haven't been
watching much in the line of "drama" for a long time. Most of what I see is competitive reality shows like The
Apprentice, MasterChef, Top Chef, Hell's Kitchen, and Biggest Loser.

They have those in French too :)

Edited by sctroyenne on 26 June 2014 at 5:53am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6965 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 259 of 439
26 June 2014 at 11:54am | IP Logged 
sctroyenne wrote:
luke wrote:

Most of what I see is competitive reality shows like The Apprentice, MasterChef, Top Chef, Hell's Kitchen, and
Biggest Loser.

They have those in French too :)

Then everything will work out alright.

Who says that French is culturally bankrupt?

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5151 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 260 of 439
26 June 2014 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
I love watching the less "honorable" television selection because it helps you see the
diversity of French culture - not everyone is a philosopher sipping espresso at a
Parisian café or a fashionista.

One cooking-centered show I like is Un dîner presque parfait where 5 people take turns
throwing a dinner party and they rate each other. Reality TV poses many challenges but I
think it's good to test the waters a bit with more challenging material (no need to go
full hog and devote yourself to a "reality TV method" or anything). Plus aspects of
reality will be less challenging - plenty of narration, endless recaps, a set structure,
and the same old familiar reality tropes that we've all come to know should make it easy
to follow despite all the rapid, informal speech.
3 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6965 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 261 of 439
27 June 2014 at 2:05am | IP Logged 
sctroyenne wrote:
One cooking-centered show I like is Un dîner presque parfait where 5 people take
turns throwing a dinner party and they rate each other.

Quelle bonne surprise! That looks very interesting and it's easy to find on youtube. Merci beaucoup!

Edited by luke on 27 June 2014 at 8:46am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6965 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 262 of 439
27 June 2014 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
I thought of a couple things this morning...

NFWE snuck into the lineup because I couldn't put my fingers on the CDs. It was meant to be a salle de bains study.

A couple weeks ago I felt like taking a day off of French after an intensive bout. That might have been helpful. Assimil courses have their "one a day" method, and that disuaded me from a break. I think imagining you'll lose something by taking a day off when you've been studying dilligently for a long time is a not clear thinking.

The Un dîner presque parfait could have been a guilt free vacation that day as well.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 263 of 439
27 June 2014 at 12:01pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
Assimil courses have their "one a day" method, and that disuaded me from a
break. I think imagining you'll lose something by taking a day off when you've been
studying dilligently for a long time is a not clear thinking.

Like you, I used to think that Assimil would work better if you stick to the "one a day"
formula. Now, if I were to do it again, I think I'd follow a "week on week off"
timetable with Assimil, and do different things on the alternate week. That would give
the completed lessons a bit more time to sink in before moving on to new material.
Leosmith had a thread about his "bow wave theory" which helped convince me that taking
breaks were a good idea. But for me, the break would be switching to another style of
learning.

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4969 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 264 of 439
28 June 2014 at 3:25am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
luke wrote:
Assimil courses have their "one a day" method, and that disuaded me
from a break. I think imagining you'll lose something by taking a day off when you've been
studying dilligently for a long time is a not clear thinking.

Like you, I used to think that Assimil would work better if you stick to the "one a day"
formula. Now, if I were to do it again, I think I'd follow a "week on week off"
timetable with Assimil, and do different things on the alternate week. That would give
the completed lessons a bit more time to sink in before moving on to new material.
Leosmith had a thread about his "bow wave theory" which helped convince me that taking
breaks were a good idea. But for me, the break would be switching to another style of
learning.

(Not to derail your log thread, but I know you'd been interested in Leosmith's "bow wave" theory, Luke..)

And here's the link.
Bow wave

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version