Joined 4968 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 265 of 439
28 June 2014 at 3:40am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:

French Bilble - I noticed this in my mp3 hoard and thought some of the gospels and other popular
books would be good for background listening. I'm listening to Genesis today.

Also, going back a bit upthread...

Do you know/ remember which version of the Bible you're /were using? I started a similar project (except for
the "background" part), with a copy of the King James version as my English parallel text / "dictionary". The
French one I used (including that for the audio recordings, as I recall) was one of the Louis Segond versions.

I'm not religious (but was a Lit major) and must say the language of those two versions is magnificent.   (Well,
perhaps I should amend that and say, as an Anglophone, I know the KJV is magnificent; am guessing
the Fr is splendid too, from what I could glean.)

Unfortunately, it was an an extremely slooow process (I embarked on this when my French was even more
rudimentary than it is now), and bailed out not long after. As as I said then, "I made an exodus at Exodus" .

But it's still on my back burner, and I wish you better luck (and speed!) with your attempt.

Edited by songlines on 28 June 2014 at 3:43am

2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6964 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 266 of 439
28 June 2014 at 11:58am | IP Logged 
songlines wrote:
luke wrote:

French Bilble - I noticed this in my mp3 hoard and thought some of the gospels and other popular
books would be good for background listening. I'm listening to Genesis today.

Do you know/ remember which version of the Bible you're /were using? I started a similar project (except for
the "background" part), with a copy of the King James version as my English parallel text / "dictionary". The
French one I used (including that for the audio recordings, as I recall) was one of the Louis Segond versions.

I'm not religious (but was a Lit major) and must say the language of those two versions is magnificent.   (Well,
perhaps I should amend that and say, as an Anglophone, I know the KJV is magnificent; am guessing
the Fr is splendid too, from what I could glean.)

Unfortunately, it was an an extremely slooow process (I embarked on this when my French was even more
rudimentary than it is now), and bailed out not long after. As as I said then, "I made an exodus at Exodus" .

But it's still on my back burner, and I wish you better luck (and speed!) with your attempt.

I think it is Louis Segond, but I'm not certain. It has a variety of speakers. The recording seems fairly
professional. I had done a google search some time back and went with the one I found most pleasant to the
ears.

I believe one can buy a parallel KJV/Louis Segond. I'm not religious either. The current background listening
is more taking the work as stories. Someone who was religious would have a real multilingual treasure trove.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4668 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 267 of 439
28 June 2014 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
I am also interested in finding a Bible to read in French. After searching a bit, I found a version called "Segond 21", which is an updated version of Louis Segond. Their strapline is, "L'original, avec les mots d'aujourd'hui". I have also found some free audio (I can't remember who pointed me to it), which is the Louis Second version:
Bible audio

I think I would rather read and listen to the "Second 21" version because it would be more useful for learning current French, and probably a lot easier to read. Any idea if there's audio available for this version?

As far as reading or listening to the Bible, beginning to end is a difficult way to go. Genesis and the first half of Exodus are full of stories, so they're quite interesing, but then you get bogged down in all the laws. I would suggest sticking to narrative (or poetry) for starters. For example going as far as Exodus 14 or 15 (the crossing of the Red Sea), and then skip to one of the Gospels and Acts. If you want to stay with the Old Testament at first, Joshua is the next major narrative book after the law books, and it's followed by Judges (remember Sampson?). Ruth is another interesting narrative.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6964 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 268 of 439
01 July 2014 at 9:49am | IP Logged 
Quelques autres livres de

ladictee.fr

Graphic of the French school
Levels

Le Petit Chose de Alphonse Daudet

Livre de Merveilles de Nathaniel Hawthorne
the chapters here are much longer...

Edited by luke on 01 July 2014 at 1:25pm

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5235 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 269 of 439
01 July 2014 at 10:33am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the links to the excellent resources such as this latest one Luke :) To be
honest I can't say I'll use it myself, but i'm sure plenty will def find it useful, and
as I said with songlines, I appreciate it nontheless :)

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6964 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 270 of 439
01 July 2014 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Thanks for the links to the excellent resources such as this latest one Luke :) To
be honest I can't say I'll use it myself, but i'm sure plenty will def find it useful, and

Merci bien monsieur.

I'm on vacation right now so I'm out of my daily routine. We'll see if a few days mostly off does anything for
my French. If it does, we cannot discount the impact of simple rest and relaxation.

I am considering switching things up when I get back and doing primarily extensive reading for a bit through
some of those books that ladictee.fr shows as being appropriate for younger readers. I've thought an
extensive run through the Assimil courses and the Hugo dialogues might be a decent way to prime the pump.
Then again, an alternate bow-wave theory might be to leave the courses on the back burner to let a
motivation wave build up.

Edited by luke on 01 July 2014 at 1:47pm

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5235 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 271 of 439
01 July 2014 at 2:13pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Thanks for the links to the excellent resources
such as this latest one Luke :) To
be honest I can't say I'll use it myself, but i'm sure plenty will def find it useful,
and

Merci bien monsieur.

I'm on vacation right now so I'm out of my daily routine. We'll see if a few days
mostly off does anything for
my French. If it does, we cannot discount the impact of simple rest and relaxation.

I am considering switching things up when I get back and doing primarily extensive
reading for a bit through
some of those books that ladictee.fr shows as being appropriate for younger readers.
I've thought an
extensive run through the Assimil courses and the Hugo dialogues might be a decent way
to prime the pump.
Then again, an alternate bow-wave theory might be to leave the courses on the back
burner to let a
motivation wave build up.

Eh bien, bonnes vacances, alors ! Profite-toi de ce temps-ci de te relaxer et si tu
veux aussi, en pensant de ce que tu va faire avec ton français quand tu rentres à la
maison :) Mais oublie de ta maison et de ton travail maintenant! Ahhh, des vacances...
;)

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6964 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 272 of 439
10 July 2014 at 2:46am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
I think I would rather read and listen to the "Second 21" version because it would be more useful for learning current French, and probably a lot easier to read. Any idea if there's audio available for this version?

As far as reading or listening to the Bible, beginning to end is a difficult way to go. Genesis and the first half of Exodus are full of stories, so they're quite interesing, but then you get bogged down in all the laws. I would suggest sticking to narrative (or poetry) for starters. For example going as far as Exodus 14 or 15 (the crossing of the Red Sea), and then skip to one of the Gospels and Acts. If you want to stay with the Old Testament at first, Joshua is the next major narrative book after the law books, and it's followed by Judges (remember Sampson?). Ruth is another interesting narrative.

Thanks for the tips Jeffers! I only listened to a little bit of the Jacques audio you linked to. Is it a human voice? The audio I have been listening is different and pretty good. I got it a long time ago. It may be the original Louis Segond.

Edited by luke on 10 July 2014 at 2:48am

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version