Diglot
United States
Joined 6983 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 281 of 439
06 August 2014 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
I listen/read Candide by Voltaire this weekend. Towards the end, I was looking at the French side of the bilingual text a good bit. My normal approach would be to repeat that book, but I like the idea of moving on for a while. Circle back later.

I'm on tape 9.4 of FSI Basic French.

My little Anki experiment with the Frequency Dictionary is up to word 500. Word 500 is the verb craindre. Word 498 is lier, which I don't consciously remember coming across before. So, one thing this Anki track is good for is drawing attention to common words. I imagine now that I'm on the look for lier, I'll start noticing it here and there.

Assimil is mostly on the backtrack. I'm quickly going through the Using French dialogs dans la salle de bains in a "begin with the end in mind", back to front run.
1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6983 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 282 of 439
06 August 2014 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
The Using French back to front run is almost complete.

I've also been listening to Radio France International's News
in Easy French
most days. This is to get something new that has to be deciphered without text, although
there is some text available. I generally just listen and it's a nice short 10 minute broadcast. I've been doing
this for a few weeks and the news is becoming more comprehensible.

Anki has had a bump up in time consumption the last couple of days. I had several days of adding 25 words
per day, and a week of adding 20 per day.   I think the total time was about 20 minutes last night. I added a
few words which for me were obscure English such as ordure and sabot. They are cognates.

Today's machinations for the through the end of the year program look like ....
FSI Basic French - Goals:
* Complete through unit 12
* Review units 7-12 with another wave.
* Review units 1-6 in a "truncate silence" wave.

SRS / Anki
Continue adding 10 words per day or so from the Frequency Dictionary. Get past word 1500. Stretch is

Listen/Reading
Go through several of the 8 books on the previous page that Guilon suggested as well as some of those
"supposed to be easy" books on that same page from LaDictee.

The L/R should complement the SRS.

In summary, a lot of
Cheating and Consolidating

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6983 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 283 of 439
10 August 2014 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
It seems like I'm always revising my study plan. I guess that means some of it isn't fun enough, or is too hard for me current level, or doesn't seem effective, or I've got "study plan wanderlust", which probably merits its own thread.

Things in my head these last few days.

Speaking - FSI Basic French - Continue to use while in the car. I believe it's effective and that it helps with speaking correctly as well as solidifying the grammar points it covers.

Listen / Reading - I began Germinal by Emile Zola. I got into part 3 of the 7 part, 20+ hour story while my wife was on out of town. For various reasons, I've found it harder to complete a difficult 20 hour novel. I generally enjoy the novel, but do better with shorter term goals that have the immediate, "good for today" sensation. For that reason as well as to bolster confidence, I'm switching for a bit to Le Petit et Les Copains. Each chapter is a self contained story and is under 10 minutes. The whole book is about 2 hours.

New Stuff I'm also going to continue with mostly daily exposure to RFI Journal en français facile. This is an easy component because it's always a "just for today" goal. I've used google translate for a couple days with it when I want to ramp up my study and comprehension. This is also a good because there's no end in sight, other than being able to understand the news easily, and once that's achieved, just keep doing it.

Assimil Using French - I recently completed the back to front listen/read fr/fr trip. Now I want to hit it from some different angles. E.G.
  • Listen/Read French/French
  • Active wave styled line by line translation
  • Read the notes
  • Do the exercises

The active translation is the primary new thing there that I haven't really done before.

Writing - Assimil New French with Ease - My study program has mostly lacked a writing component, and for that reason, I think this will be helpful. Perhaps in conjunction with an active wave translation. This is where I was going to brainstorm a bit, and why I started this post in the first place.

• Listen/Read French/French
  • Check out the notes
  • Do the exercises
  • Translate on the fly and look at the book for confirmation
  • Read each line and look away and repeat would be helpful
  • Then the next day or so, write out the lesson as a translation/writing exercise. Check my translation before actually writing it out (perhaps).

That's really enough for a complete study program for now.

Edited by luke on 10 August 2014 at 3:00pm

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5254 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 284 of 439
10 August 2014 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
Hi Luke,

As you probably know I'm often re-evaluating my methods and chopping and changing them. I
think it's a good thing to keep motivated and to keep using methods that bring results.
Whatever reasoning is behind our chopping and changing, provided we keep learning it's
certainly a good thing, I believe. So keep motivated, interested and keep learning. Great
work!

2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6983 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 285 of 439
11 August 2014 at 1:47am | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
As you probably know I'm often re-evaluating my methods and chopping and
changing them. I think it's a good thing to keep motivated and to keep using methods that bring results.
Whatever reasoning is behind our chopping and changing, provided we keep learning it's certainly a good
thing, I believe. So keep motivated, interested and keep learning. Great work!

Thanks Peter. It's good to know I'm in good company.

The writing out of a plan is helpful. I often find I bite off more than I can chew. Later, I realized that would be
two Assimil's at once, which I was trying to avoid. Now, it's the evening and time to write out that first lesson.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6983 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 286 of 439
19 August 2014 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
FSI - I'm on tape 9.7. It's a doozy. I was very discouraged this morning during the commute into work.
I reviewed all the exercises with the book during a break. On the way home, it was better. That reminds me.
I'm editing off the first 9 minutes or so. The learning drills on 9.7 are easy now. But 9 minutes of easy before
20 minutes of hard takes away some freshness. Allez-y!

I did find some Blake and Mortimer cartoons
on youtube. They are good when you feel like cheating.

P.s. 9.8 looks like a double doozy. It has a lot of exercises marked with an asterisk for advanced students.

Edited by luke on 19 August 2014 at 2:43am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6983 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 287 of 439
22 August 2014 at 9:13am | IP Logged 
I have moved on to FSI Basic French tape 9.8. I may move on to 9.9 soon and wait for a followup wave to clear things up.

Using French - J'étudie une leçon par jour dans la salle de bains. C'est bon.

Anki - I'm up to word 630 in the French Frequency Dictionary. I've downshifted to adding 10 words per day. That seems like a sustainable pace.

Extensive Listen/Reading - to support the odd word here and there in Anki vocabulary acquisition, I started some runs through Assimil New French with Ease and French Without Toil. I'm also doing a back to front with Petit Nicholas.
NFWE - lesson 7 (heading for 113)
FTW - lesson 7 (heading for 140)
Petit Nicholas - chapter 16 (heading for 1)
Business French - lesson 21 (this is continuing the "cleanup" or "trailing by 50 days" I began about three months ago but didn't finish.

Extensive Listening - Krishnamurthy's Le Sens du Bonheur has been my companion while working out.

Background listening - I bring up FSI Basic French lessons with Audacity "truncate silence".

I feel like I need this period of consolidation.

Edited by luke on 24 August 2014 at 11:03pm

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5254 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 288 of 439
23 August 2014 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
Again, excellent work Luke! Keep it up!

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version