Diglot
United States
Joined 6992 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 305 of 439
29 September 2014 at 1:14am | IP Logged 
I have also let my curiosity get the best of me so I also tried out the fameux vocabulary test, found at:
http://www.itt-leipzig.de/static/startseiteeng.html

Here are my results:
1. Les 1000 mots les plus fréquents du français... 27/30
2. Les 2000 mots les plus fréquents du français... 24/30
3. Les 3000 mots les plus fréquents du français... 22/30
4. Les 4000 mots les plus fréquents du français... 26/30
5. Les 5000 mots les plus fréquents du français... 20/30

A little disappointing, but I did just put word 1000 in Anki today.

Edited by luke on 29 September 2014 at 10:03am

1 person has voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5263 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 306 of 439
29 September 2014 at 8:42am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
I have also let my curiosity get the best of me so I also tried out the fameux vocabulary test,
found at:

Here are my results:
1. Les 1000 mots les plus fréquents du français... 27/30
2. Les 2000 mots les plus fréquents du français... 24/30
3. Les 3000 mots les plus fréquents du français... 22/30
4. Les 4000 mots les plus fréquents du français... 26/30
5. Les 5000 mots les plus fréquents du français... 20/30

A little disappointing, but I did just put word 1000 in Anki today.
Not surprisingly, I did okay with the first 3000 words, and struggled with the final two sets. I've been
estimating my passive vocabulary at around 3000, and I suppose this test would show my passive vocabulary
is a bit over 3000 words.[/

Well those results aren't anything to complain about, but it is a bit of a strange test nonetheless. I've arrived at
the conclusion that it's far from conclusive, but maybe i'm saying this as my ego doesn't want to accept that i
didn't blitz the test as I almost expected I would (I felt my active vocab was well beyond 5000 words, so it's
probably not as 'active' as I lead myself to believe).. either way a bit of fun that holds little bearing on whether
I proceed or not with my learning, coz either way I'm proceeding. Thus, I guess in the end we just keep on
learning, and it seems you're doing a pretty good job of that as well Luke.

I've been meaning to ask you what you make of Learn in Your Car French? I've gone through quite a number
of audio only courses that I use when I drive mainly to and from work- Learn French with Paul Noble,
Pimsleur, Michel Thomas, Linguaphone French all talk, Rocket French audio supplement, and perhaps i'm
forgetting some. For me the best so far for pronunciation and perhaps the best all round audio only course is
Pimsleur. The best for a beginner in French in my opinion is Learn French with Paul Noble. The best course
for learning to use French quickly on the fly and mould your tongue around various common verb tenses
while thinking a little outside the box of other audio programs is Michel Thomas. Linguaphone French all talk
provides a nice enjoyable program with very different vocab to that found in the other audio programs and is
therefore certainly worthwhile.

The current course I'm using is the second level of Rocket French, called Rocket French Premium Plus. The
first level (Rocket French Premium) was quite good, and like Linguaphone's French all talk it provided a bit of
a different approach with regards to using a story of sorts but not as concrete as Linguaphone's actual
continuing storty - Rocket French's is more like a collection of mini situational stories that have the same
characters in each lesson playing different roles. Anyway Rocket French Premium Plus is MUCH harder than
Pimsleur Level 3 (haven't done level 4 yet), and even MT masterclass in my opinion. It's a very very good
course that does contain dialogues, and does contain repetition exercices and to a lesser degree brief
quizzes. I would very much recommend it for anyone needing to go beyond what Pimsleur or MT can provide.
Rocket French Premium Plus has much more additional vocabularly beyond the basics, or at least it
broadens the vocab much more. I'm finding I need to listen to lessons (each around 20-25 min long) multiple
times before I can repeat it all without flaws at the same pace, whereas with level 3 of Pimsleur, 2 listens
were usually enough if I remember correctly. The conversations are much more 'natural' speech in Rocket
French imo than Pimsleur. I still have another more advanced level again after the current level of Rocket
French (called Rocket French Platinum). So in my opinion what Rocket French is best at is going beyond
what all the other audio courses have done so far. Perhaps the verb tenses in level 2 aren't that tricky but the
vocab is definitely expanded from what Pimsleur and the others provide.

All these audio courses seem to provide something different, I feel it's extremely beneficial to use as many of
these courses as possible to expose yourself to different methods, more varied vocab and conversations etc
before moving onto predominantly native media (altho I do mix it in currently as well sometimes)... so...

what is it Learn in Your Car French like Luke? I read some reviews on Amazon with some ppl loving it and
others finding it too repetitive and lacking without conversations.

2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6992 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 307 of 439
29 September 2014 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
I've been meaning to ask you what you make of Learn in Your Car French?

I'm not really that fond of Learn French in your Car. I did Audacity "truncate silence" on it because I really can't imagine it being as effective for me as other things like listening to an audiobook or FSI drills. I slowly march along with it because I started it and in total, it's only about 4.5 hours with truncated silence.

They pronounce things more carefully than FSI, but I think the French tend to speak more like in FSI as far as vocal reductions, etc.

Edited by luke on 29 September 2014 at 10:14am

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5263 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 308 of 439
29 September 2014 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
I've been meaning to ask you what you make of
Learn in Your Car French?

I'm not really that fond of Learn French in your Car. I did Audacity "truncate
silence" on it because I really can't imagine it being as effective for me as other
things like listening to an audiobook or FSI drills. I slowly march along with it
because I started it and in total, it's only about 4.5 hours with truncated silence.

They pronounce things more carefully than FSI, but I think the French tend to speak
more like in FSI as far as vocal reductions, etc.

Thanks Luke, one less course I have to buy (please no-one tell me that it's actually
an awesome course!)

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6992 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 309 of 439
02 October 2014 at 2:04am | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
[QUOTE=luke] I have also let my curiosity get the best of me so I also tried out the fameux vocabulary test,
found at:

I've arrived at the conclusion that it's far from conclusive, but maybe i'm saying this as my ego doesn't want to accept that i didn't blitz the test as I almost expected I would (I felt my active vocab was well beyond 5000 words, so it's probably not as 'active' as I lead myself to believe).. either way a bit of fun that holds little bearing on whether I proceed or not with my learning, coz either way I'm proceeding. Thus, I guess in the end we just keep on learning.

The current course I'm using is the second level of Rocket French, called Rocket French Premium Plus.

I don't discount the test entirely. It's different than the way I usually try to learn vocabulary. I'd wonder if we would have scored better if there was more context around the words.

Anyway, I'm certain a lot of our vocabulary is from words that are above 5000 in the frequency list. Let's say you know 50% of the words from 4001 - 5000. If that's the case, then you probably also know close to 50% of the words in the 5001 - 6000 bracket.

And thanks for telling about your experience with Rocket French. I've heard good things about Rocket Spanish. Does Rocket French include English in the audio, or is it all in French?

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6992 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 310 of 439
03 October 2014 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
French Frequency Dictionary - word 1000 is professionnel. I have held up on word 1000 for several days. Anki has neat graphs. One of them shows the number of cards forecasted to be reviewed over the the next month. My daily and my forecast was getting well over 100, and that's a bit more than I want. Also, I felt I wasn't getting some words that I should. The forecast for tomorrow is just under 90 words. I also think I'll look to unbury "leeches" and other cards that have been suspended before I kick off on word 1001.

Using French - Leçon 49 dans la salle de bains. I've been going at this wave like many of the others. Listen/Read, review the notes, listen back or forward a day or so, etc. I'm thinking of a quick listen/read wave once I finish lesson 70 as a quick vocabulary recap. Then I'll probably switch another Assimil course into this slot. Further down the road, I may read the lesson more, which allows time to reflect on the words I don't know so well and to more carefully notice grammatical structures, etc. Just trying to milk Assimil for all its worth.

FSI Basic French - tape 11.3 is next up. I got fairly discouraged in units 9 and 10. At certain points I thought about going back and reviewing everything. When this happened in unit 10, I went back a tape or two. When I returned to the tape that had been frustrating me, it didn't seem so bad. My short term goal with FSI has been to get through unit 11, and then do a big review, culminating in unit 12, which is a review on units 7-11.

Audio Livres - I'm still in chapter 9 of the old favorite in the car. I've got a couple others audiobooks going on that memory stick. Another new old fave is on chapter 5 or 6 of about 24 - 26.

Learn French in your Car - on lesson 62.

Sur la Liberté - by John Stuart Mill. A week and half ago I finished a grand tour of this listen/reading in En/Fr, Fr/En, and Fr/Fr. Today, I started listening to it in the car. I like this one because it's depth, and also, for me, this one is fairly easy. That's a combination of the number of times I've read it, listen/read it, as well of course of the clarity and precision of the author and translator.

Vol de Nuit - by St-Exupery. I have a bilingual text of this and the audio is on youtube. I just got through my very first pass using the bilingual text. I split the audio up into it's 23 chapters and intro. That makes for nice 2-8 minute segments. This one was far harder for me than most. Having edited out the music, it's under 2 hours. I feel it would be good for me to go through this several more times. I'm not yet sure when pass two will begin.

Philosophie Vivant - is in the gym slot. I like the narrator and for me, the topic is interesting. I plan to continue through the lecture series if it keeps up like the first three segments.

Edited by luke on 07 October 2014 at 9:55am

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5263 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 311 of 439
04 October 2014 at 5:58am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:

I don't discount the test entirely. It's different than the way I usually try to learn vocabulary. I'd wonder if we
would have scored better if there was more context around the words.

Anyway, I'm certain a lot of our vocabulary is from words that are above 5000 in the frequency list. Let's say
you know 50% of the words from 4001 - 5000. If that's the case, then you probably also know close to 50%
of the words in the 5001 - 6000 bracket.

And thanks for telling about your experience with Rocket French. I've heard good things about Rocket
Spanish. Does Rocket French include English in the audio, or is it all in French?

I agree the test is not entirely irrelevant that's for sure...

As for Rocket French, it does have English indeed. There's 3 French speakers on there, one of them from
Québec, but the majority of speaking is done by native French speakers from France. The English is useful,
it's not interferring with my current level, it's certainly useful. Sorry btw, I kind of highjacked your log with my
explanations regarding Rocket French- I should''ve given those details in my own log, but as usual I just got
carried away with my own ego, providing some holy of holy information for all those desperately needing the
information out there... don't mind me, just mocking my self love :)

PM strikes back part 7

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6992 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 312 of 439
04 October 2014 at 6:32am | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
PM strikes back part 7

You are always welcome around here, Peter.

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version