AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5235 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 433 of 439
27 June 2015 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
Hi luke,

I hope your studying is going well. I've come to realise (actually I realised this a while back) that your studying
techniques are extremely regimented. I thought I was regimented in my approach to language learning (with
seemingly stricter rules) but you definitely approach your learning in a much more thoroughly thought out
manner. I guess I'm just 'being present' tonight and felt like mentioning the obvious. I couldn't do what you do,
but of course I'm not saying therefore you shouldn't do it. How you do it though I don't know. I guess being
you it's fine. Many people couldn't do what I do unless they were me. Are they me? I highly doubt it. Anyway
I'm not being entirely rediculous here (unlike a couple of posts I just made elsewhere on the forum), nor am I
intoxicated. In fact I am being sincere with in a joking way I guess. I just wanted to drop by and make a
comment. Keep up the decent studying. You are (sincerely) doing a great job. You're very dedicated luke and
that's certainly admirable.

PM
2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6964 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 434 of 439
27 June 2015 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
Monsieur le PM,

It's always great to hear from you and read what you're doing. You are particularly jovial today, and that is
delightful. We are similar birds of a feather, that is sure. I give as evidence of the efficacy of your methods;
your elation, your pretty prose, your infectious humor.

Your comments are very interesting to me. I've been thinking I'm dialing back on the rigor of my studies by
going straight for the end game, the goal. I'm having fun with the ten year reading plan.

My latest thoughts is to think of studying in terms of places, methods, and materials.

Place: Bathrooms. Materials: Assimil and books relevant to my life. Methods, you've heard them before,
waves, reading, notes, repeating.

Other places: car, gym, wandering, studying at computer.

Methods: Listening, reading, listen/reading, FSI, dedication to materials.

Major materials: Ten Year Reading Plan, FSI, Assimil, personal books.

I was thinking about you and me over the last day or so. My tentative conclusion is to use time wisely and
work on things that delight now, and will seem to have been worthwhile down the road.

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5235 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 435 of 439
28 June 2015 at 5:23am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
Monsieur le PM,

It's always great to hear from you and read what you're doing. You are particularly
jovial today, and that is
delightful. We are similar birds of a feather, that is sure. I give as evidence of
the efficacy of your methods;
your elation, your pretty prose, your infectious humor.

Your comments are very interesting to me. I've been thinking I'm dialing back on the
rigor of my studies by
going straight for the end game, the goal. I'm having fun with the ten year reading
plan.

My latest thoughts is to think of studying in terms of places, methods, and materials.

Place: Bathrooms. Materials: Assimil and books relevant to my life. Methods, you've
heard them before,
waves, reading, notes, repeating.

Other places: car, gym, wandering, studying at computer.

Methods: Listening, reading, listen/reading, FSI, dedication to materials.

Major materials: Ten Year Reading Plan, FSI, Assimil, personal books.

I was thinking about you and me over the last day or so. My tentative conclusion is
to use time wisely and
work on things that delight now, and will seem to have been worthwhile down the road.

Interesting reflections luke...

Thanks for the positive comments too :) I must add that I declared recently to be
delving back into the reading and stepping away from my courses. Exactly the opposite
has happened [I"m not my fault right? it just 'happened' to me ;)]. I've been diving
back into my courses as it seems to be what I enjoy- working through them
systematically lesson by lesson. I couldn't use the approach that many others take on
this forum (which is fine too, but not for me) that is, to skip chapters, skip
harder/boring sections and so on- or even not study grammar at all. I just feel like
in a world in which we are 'trained' to be entertained and to 'have fun' (total BS
imo- total distraction- don't get me wrong I'm very well 'trained' myself). All in all
what I'm getting at is that hard work gets you there (from my perspective personally),
do what you got to do, (for me work my way through each and every page of my courses,
taking on board what I learn and I am bound to advance).

This is one point we seem very similar on (thorough approach)- design a program (me
it's a set of courses, you it's a seemingly smaller set of 'heavy' courses and a more
particular method/wave/track/approach). I perhaps have a lot more courses? You don't
but you go back through the decent courses many many times, approaching them
differently each time. I think we are alike in this for sure- we want to practise
things 'thoroughly'. Many people on this forum really get a lot out of reading and
other such activities, which perhaps given my background I've not really taken to in a
'heavy' way.... yet- or I don't choose books but read online. I totally will, like
totally, get into heavier reading at some point. However I've got some work to do in
the meantime, and I'm enjoying it.

You have of course delved much more into the reading, but still remain dedicated to
your coursework also (maybe not as much lately?). I think decent persistent coursework
is often overlooked. I'm progressing slowly but i'm progressing nicely. I still watch
the French news almost daily and my comprehension is suddenly vastly improving lately.
I"m sticking to my guns (courses) for now at least. That B2 is looking likely in the
nearish future I believe. I must add the watching and reading here and there is likely
adding to my comprehension 'jump' of late too.

As for truncated silence- The reason I won't go near any such things lately is one of
a procastination issue in the past that I now view as having cost me far more than I
realised (do I sense regret monsieur le PM? Bien-sûr que non !). In the past I found I
wasted far too much time procrastinating and fiddling with purchasing courses,
researching methods, ripping course CDs into multiple formats, on backup drives in
nicely crafted folders, fiddling with computer programs and the like. I'm not
fantastic with IT either (makes me slower, as does perfectionism). So now all I want
to do is simply study, study, learn, learn. And any suggestion of fiddling around more
than downloading an app, checking out a website, or tweaking my SRS (which I only just
tolerate) I don't want to know about it. I can see the value in it for sure, but i'm
doing fine myself without it.

One last point... Often the people here on HTLAL have made the comment that courses or
SRS are like being a tourist- ie not 'using' the language. I in fact agreed with
Jeffers wholeheartedly on this point recently. I still absolutely agree... but, if you
do enough courses containing enough drills and exercises and speak out loud each and
every single French syllable contained in the courses (shadowing, repeating, and the
like) with the aim to perfect pronounciation and comprehension, it's still going to
work. It won't give the passive vocab that reading does if you're approaching courses
like I do, but it will certainly do something. Obviously balance is the key, but I'm
not ready for (serious) balance. I'd rather lean profoundly to one side for the time
being (i'm the opposite of the 'early readers' out there).

Fry on

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6964 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 436 of 439
10 July 2015 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
It's good to hear from you Monsieur PM. We both have consistancy and a track record of sticking to our
guns. As long as one has that, we shall overcome.

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5235 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 437 of 439
10 July 2015 at 11:14am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
It's good to hear from you Monsieur PM. We both have consistancy and a track record of
sticking to our
guns. As long as one has that, we shall overcome.

I'll drink to that, coz that's what one does, isn't it? I mean, drink? That is pour cell damaging liquids into one's
body which disrupts all kinds of bodily functions in order to celebrate. What weird, disconnected beings us
humans are. Do you think we might have taken a wrong turn at some point? Back onto French, yep,
consistency is definitely paying dividends for us, all be it they are taking some time to build in value those
dividends but it's certainly worthwhile.

Fry a fry for Fry's sake, but make sure you use GMO vegetable oils to keep your government happy
PM
1 person has voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5235 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 438 of 439
25 August 2015 at 3:43am | IP Logged 
Hi luke,

I think I posted in the wrong spot initially. I'm just wondering if you'll be continuing on the .org site or not. If
not, how's things?

PM

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6964 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 439 of 439
01 September 2015 at 10:32am | IP Logged 
Monsieur le PM,

I'm a bit on both sites.

I've been continuing my Path to Polyliteracy Ten Year Reading Plan but have been supplementing it with some easier material. The current book is Le Journal d’une Femme de Chambre which has a nice voice and isn't as demanding as things like Du Contrat Social or Gargantua and Pantagruel. I was reading the Listen-Reading page and the author wrote about 5 levels of books. I've been hitting books at the 4th and 5th levels (the hardest) and may benefit more from books at the second and third levels.

Thanks for asking. I miss you guys.

Edited by luke on 01 September 2015 at 10:33am

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version