Language Learning Forum : Esperanto Post Reply
EnglishEagle
United Kingdom
Joined 4335 days ago

140 posts - 157 votes 
Studies: English*, German

Message 1 of 6
29 July 2012 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
Is it possible to become fluent in Esperanto in 6 weeks, with a couple of hour studying each day, in your spare
time? I was planning on visiting some family for a couple of weeks, but thats rescheduled for a later date. So I now
have a lot of free time on my hands. What is achievable in 3-4 weeks of learning for an hour a day? How far can I
progress? I was starting to learn it a few months ago, but some things come up such as some mock GCSE exams
and it was put too the side for a while.

Thankyou :-)

Edited by Fasulye on 28 September 2012 at 10:38pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 6
29 July 2012 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
Do a 6 week challenge! Esperanto is a popular choice and it's entirely possible to reach a very high level in it.
For true fluency you'd need more hours of input (listening, reading) than it's possible to have in 6 weeks.
4 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4607 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 3 of 6
14 August 2012 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
It depends on your definition of fluency. With a few hours a day and good materials you
should be able to grasp all the grammar and pronunciation rules within a week. However,
some things we are not used to in English, like the -n object ending, are solidified only
through practice.

But if you think about fluency in terms of how much vocabulary you know, then the answer
is "No way." Even though you can get by without a lot of words if you master the use of
prefixes and suffixes, you still need a lot of vocabulary to read, listen, speak and
write without the use of a dictionary. That's too many words to learn in 6 weeks, I
think.

audrey
Triglot
Pro Member
ItalyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4622 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: French, Italian, English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Esperanto
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 6
06 January 2014 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
I started a course in November, two hours a week only, plus studying approx an hour a day at home. Contrary to
most, I don't find Esperanto that easy, with its accusative, correlatives, suffixes etc - so I would say it would take six
months and not 6 weeks. Maybe I am the only one on this site to find this language tougher than 'declared' but my
teacher in Rome also admitted that he had students who left when it came to the famous table of ,kiu,kial,kiom, etc
and the use of the accusative.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6669 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 6
06 January 2014 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
Most learners don't have photographic memory;thus they will have to be exposed to enough examples of the various endings, and then practice for a while. This isn't unique to Esperanto, but some might assume that an easy language should pose no problems at all, require no memorization etc.
2 persons have voted this message useful

audrey
Triglot
Pro Member
ItalyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4622 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: French, Italian, English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Esperanto
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 6
06 January 2014 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
As we are talking about Esperanto is anyone organising a 2014 TAC for this language?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version