Germany
Joined 6011 days ago

267 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*
Studies: English, Swedish

Message 137 of 140
26 January 2014 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
Hi Julie,

if you need any topic for your Skype conversations, you will find a lot excercises here.
Originally they are published for face to face tandems, but you could also use some of them in a distance tandem.

http://www.slf.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/tandem/kultur/english/inde x.html might be also interessting.

Greetings and good luck with your studies.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6690 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 138 of 140
27 January 2014 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
Hey, I am extremely busy these days but I solely promise to write a longer update some time soon(ish).

For the next two months, I am staying in Luxembourg City, which is the most international place I have ever lived in. I feel surrounded by many languages, which is the best feeling a language gee... learner :) can experience.

In the last couple of days, I have spoken Polish, English, German, French, Swedish and (just a tiny little bit of) Spanish, and heard (and understood) some Dutch, Luxembourgish, Portuguese and Croatian. Yeah, it's been a lot of fun :). And I am staying in a room with a couple of shelves of Danish books, which kind of makes me regret I have never studied Danish ;).

Mareike, thanks for the link, there are some really great ideas over there!

Serpent, I am sorry it took me so long to answer your question about Belorussian. The main reason for using Belorussian was probably the decision of one of the seminar leaders. She is from Belarus and prefers Belorussian to Russian, and she used it quite consequently during the seminar (by the way, she speaks absolutely perfect Polish, too). She also found a Belorussian native speaker to interpret the seminar for the participants from Belarus. The seminar was by no means a political event, but it did include some 'democratic' connotations.
1 person has voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5134 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 139 of 140
27 December 2014 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
Hej!

We’re practically at the end of TAC’14. Would you like to drop by at our Team Asgard thead and tell us how this year went for you and your Swedish studies? The year final report is also valid for our team’s December challenge!

I hope to hear from you soon and in the meantime I wish you

Gott nytt år!

1 person has voted this message useful

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6690 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 140 of 140
18 November 2015 at 2:43am | IP Logged 
Having not been around for almost two years, I've thought I'd drop by :)

It's a funny feeling to see my previous post here, as my 2-month stay in Luxembourg seems to be sooo long ago (and here I am, editing my profile, changing my location from Luxembourg back to Poland ;)).

I've also edited my languages to become a proud heptaglot... still not believing it :), even though at the same time I feel kinda like a fraud, as my Spanish has only further deteriorated, and I peaked in Swedish a year and a half ago.

That's one thing I keep learning about learning: the more languages you know, the more difficult it becomes to keep them, active and ready for use. But I do believe it doesn't take that much to activate them when the opportunity arises.

The time in Luxembourg was great - I got to speak so many languages on a daily basis! My German and Swedish improved quite a bit, my spoken English and French - massively. It's a pity that two years later I feel like I speak each of these languages worse than back then (or maybe I'm just too critical?). On the other hand, my Dutch is clearly better than it used to be.

Plans for my language learning future?

I haven't really 'studied' any languages (but Dutch) this year. For professional reasons, I've just decided to work on improving my two strongest languages: English and German. However, I want to keep listening to other languages and, to some extent, keep reading in them.

Surprisingly enough, I've become quite a 'podcast/radio person'; I listened to tons of the Internet radio in the last 18 months, all thanks to a nice Bluetooth headset I bought. Most of the listening was done while cooking/cleaning/washing the dishes etc., so the purchase contributed both to my listening comprehension and the general cleanliness of the house ;) (when I'm done with my housework, and an interesting podcast is not over, I keep looking for things to do ;)).

I've also discovered the power of VPN - and now the geoblocked TV websites are for me a thing of the past. I just have to find more time for using that.

Oh, and I finally replaced my old e-book reader with a shiny new Kindle that doesn't crash at every attempt to use the dictionary - so reading e-books is nicer than ever.

I guess these are nice examples of how technology can really facilitate learning :). Hopefully, all of that will be enough at least to keep me from forgetting what I've learned :)

Speaking of which, is there anybody here who still remembers me? ;)

Edited by Julie on 18 November 2015 at 2:49am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 140 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version