Diglot
Japan
Joined 4322 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 1 of 5
12 August 2012 at 12:42pm | IP Logged 
I am doing Pimsleur for Greek and noticed that when the speaker pronounced ~πιείτε κάτι (drink something)
the /p/ in πιείτε was rather like an aspirated p /pʰ/. I studied basic Greek phonology already and /pʰ/ is not
featured in Modern Greek (though it was present in Ancient Greek).

I went to Google Translate and listened to πιείτε and it was pronounced with a /p/ like I would have expected
before listening to Pimsleur, but then when I tried "πιείτε κάτι" or "πιείτε <xxxx>" it was pronounced with
a /pʰ/ just like in Pimsleur.

What's going on?

1 person has voted this message useful

embici
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4396 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek

Message 2 of 5
12 September 2012 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
I've been waiting for someone to answer you too. I'm not using Pimsleur, but every time I
hear the word "κάποιον" I hear what you are describing. I haven't come across an
explanation for it.

I hope someone can shed some light.

Γρηγόρη
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4241 days ago

55 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*, Greek, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: German, French, Russian

Message 3 of 5
13 September 2012 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
It's not that the /p/ is aspirated, but rather that the /i/ suffers a phenomenon called palatization. In Greek, when
unaccented /i/ is followed by another vowel, it often is pronounced almost as though it were a hard y, or sometimes
as a χ (depending on whether the context would make it voiced or not). Thus, the words in question would be
pronounced as though written πγείτε, κάπχιον. This accounts for the derivation of για from Ancient Greek διά,
since the palatized ι has completed overtaken the δ. In the Cypriote dialect, the palatization is so severe that is is
pronounced as a κ, e.g., θκυο (= δυο), θκιάολος (=διάβολος), χωρκανοί (=χωριανοί), πκιος (=ποιος), κτλ. If you
ask a Cypriote, however, he will usually deny that he is saying κ, since he regards it simply as the palatized ι.
2 persons have voted this message useful

embici
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4396 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek

Message 4 of 5
26 September 2012 at 1:35am | IP Logged 
Thanks, Γρηγόρη�. And while you're at it... :)
Does the same happen with έχετε because I swear I hear what sounds like έχιετε?

Γρηγόρη
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4241 days ago

55 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*, Greek, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: German, French, Russian

Message 5 of 5
26 September 2012 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
The situation of έχετε is different. Τhe palatalization in πιείτε, κάποιον, κτλ., is due the the fact that /i/ is
followed by another vowel. In the case of έχετε, you are simply encountering the fact that the letters γ and χ each
have two different pronunciations, one hard (=velar) and one soft (=palatal). This is parallel to the softening of c
and g in Romance languages, or English words of Romance derivation (i.e., the difference between the c in canal
vs. city, or the g in gusto vs. gel. In Modern Greek, γ and χ will be pronounced hard (=/γ/ and /χ/) before /a/,
/o/, /u/, but will be softened (= /ç/, as in German "ich", and /ʝ/, something like a hard y sound) before /e/ and
/i/.

Thus even within the conjugation of the verb έχω, the χ will be pronounced differently for the different persons:

Hard: έχω, έχουμε, έχουν
Soft: έχεις, έχει, έχετε

The same is true for a verb whose stem ends in γ, such as πηγαίνω, here in the aorist tense:

Hard: πήγα, πήγαμε, πήγατε, πήγαν
Soft: πήγες, πήγε

This distinction comes instinctively to native Greek speakers and is taught in the textbooks that Greek children
use in school, but the only time that I have ever seen it explained in an introductory textbook is in the textbook
that the Greek state has created to teach Greek to the Turks living in northern Greece. As far as I know, it is
completely absent from all of the commercial products. They assume that you will just intuit the pronunciation
from the recordings.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version