Joined 4723 days ago

115 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: Italian, English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 9 of 14
16 August 2012 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
Jappy58 wrote:
Excellent work. :)

Your Spanish is great, and you sound not far from being a native speaker. Your French was well done. :)

It is inspirational that you spoke these languages well despite being a stutterer - keep up the great work! :)

BTW I see you speak Quechua, in the village I was in in Peru they spoke Quechua first, and "QuechuaƱol" second.
On your profile it says you learned Quechua as a second language, I tried learning Quechua while in Peru because I
was immersed but I never really got passed talking about food ovejas etc. etc. Partially due to resources and also do
to the fact that most people spoke Spanish pretty fluently and therefore I would only HAVE to speak Quechua maybe
a conversation a day! (BTW this was Cusco Quechua I'm not sure what kind you know!)
1 person has voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5186 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 10 of 14
17 August 2012 at 1:20am | IP Logged 
Well done. Congratulations on your progress.

Jappy58
Bilingual Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 4449 days ago

200 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Guarani*, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Maghribi), Arabic (Written), French, English, Persian, Quechua, Portuguese
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 11 of 14
17 August 2012 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
drp9341 wrote:
Jappy58 wrote:
Excellent work. :)

Your Spanish is great, and you sound not far from being a native speaker. Your French was well done. :)

It is inspirational that you spoke these languages well despite being a stutterer - keep up the great work! :)

BTW I see you speak Quechua, in the village I was in in Peru they spoke Quechua first, and "QuechuaƱol" second.
On your profile it says you learned Quechua as a second language, I tried learning Quechua while in Peru because I
was immersed but I never really got passed talking about food ovejas etc. etc. Partially due to resources and also do
to the fact that most people spoke Spanish pretty fluently and therefore I would only HAVE to speak Quechua maybe
a conversation a day! (BTW this was Cusco Quechua I'm not sure what kind you know!)

Yeah, Quechua is pretty much an honorary native language of mine. I started learning it at a very young age (4-5 years old), though I was not exposed to it from the start (like in my fully native languages Guarani and Spanish). Part of my family had background in Ecuador, and when they moved to Paraguay, I was exposed to it almost as frequently as Guarani and Spanish. As a result, I reached a very high level in the language by the time I was 10 years old.

Indeed, I've worked in Peru as well, and Quechua sometimes mixes with Spanish, and most native speakers are perfectly capable in Spanish as well. The variety I learned as a kid was the Ecuadorean one, and when I first heard the variant of Peru, I understood a lot of it, but not all of it. With time, I came to understand it well, however - same goes for most other Quechuan dialects (or languages, as they're classified by most linguists).

BTW, La Reina del Sur is also a favorite of mine. There was also some authentic Moroccan Arabic spoken in some episodes and other times Berber, so it was definitely an interesting telenovela at that.

Keep up the excellent work! :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5594 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 12 of 14
18 August 2012 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
Firstly I'm quite jealous of your accent in Spanish.

drp9341 wrote:
I really liked watching "La Reina Del Sur" just because there were a
"plethora" of accents to say the least, ranging from Mexican, to Spanish, the Russian,
to Arab, so basically it helped me get used to all the different accents.

I didn't know that, I might consider watching it now (I never considered it before as
it's not my type of program) so really useful information, thanks.

drp9341 wrote:
I also used to watch a lot of the show, "Caso Cerrado" on Telemundo,
because they have real Latinos in the USA arguing and stuff and telling stories in
their everyday Spanish, without trained voices for TV and what not, so that
definitely helped me get used to understanding the Spanish spoken in the US, which, if
you only learn Spanish through courses, can be tough to understand.
(ever hear a dominican?) :D

Could you tell me more about this program, what kind of thing do they discuss?

Dagane
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4322 days ago

259 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishB2, Galician
Studies: German
Studies: Czech

Message 13 of 14
18 August 2012 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
Your Spanish is fairly heavily Latinoamerican but I didn't miss a word. It's a good and beautiful accent. I don't speak Italian but it sounds good too. Of course your English is excellent, he, he. Regarding French, I studied it for 4 years but I don't recall anything, so I can't say anything.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5367 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 14 of 14
21 August 2012 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
@drp9341
Thanks for the tips! I'll keep an eye out for "La Reina Del Sur" and "Caso Cerrado" when I reach the States. :)

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version