Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5172 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 1 of 15
15 August 2012 at 4:11am | IP Logged 
Does anyone have tips for how to help an adult student who's motivated, wants to learn a
language, does fairly well in classes but has very little discipline to work on the
language on their own time? This is the kind of student who is aware that he/she should
do more and will feel guilty but best intentions always fall through. Obviously to a
certain point the student just needs to work on their own discipline issues but as a
teacher/tutor what can be done to help instill some good habits?
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5313 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 15
15 August 2012 at 6:12am | IP Logged 
Hmm, I've never worked with students. But I was once a chronically undisciplined
language learner, who never made it past week 2.

Things which helped:

1) Studying French 20 minutes per day for 30 days, no excuses (specifically, one
Assimil passive wave lesson). This was hard. But that 30 day project is now over
1700 days old without a break.

2) A Seinfeld calendar. Get a year-at-a-glance calendar, and mark each day you study in
red. Try not to break the chain.

30 days & Seinfeld calendars (lots more here)

Note that this sometimes means sacrificing other important stuff to study foreign
languages. For example, I was hit with a wicked case of procrastination last night, and
didn't finish studying until 3am. This is actually really rare for me (studying French
is normally automatic and painless). But nonetheless, even though studying might only
take 20 minutes, it's sacrosanct.

Basically, like most language students, your student's biggest problem is self
discipline. They're going to have to tackle that directly and they're ultimately
going to have to do it themselves. You can, of course, offer tools and accountability.
But this is the single thing that will make or break their project.

(I just realized: You're essentially a personal trainer for foreign languages!)
5 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4628 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 3 of 15
15 August 2012 at 6:16am | IP Logged 
It's hard. I taught two adult students English for 8 months, but aside from our weekly
hour-long sessions, they hardly studied. I probably in retrospect should have assigned
more homework. At least they would have something to complete before class.

If they don't have any self-discipline, I think the only thing we as teachers can do is
to try to make it appeal to them as much as we can. Make it interesting. Play music in
the target language, show pictures, etc. Do games.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 4 of 15
15 August 2012 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
Perhaps find together a way how the student can easily study instead of putting the
time in usual timeeaters. Ajatt speaks of doing everything in the target language. That
is an extremy only few people are capable of (but it must work like a miracle). But
what about finding a good tv series your student could watch instead of something else
in the tv? That would do miracles for his/her listening comprehension, which is often a
trouble. It worked perfectly for me. Or reading short things instead of browsing the
internet (BDs and similar things can be used from quite early levels). Perhaps Memrise
could help with the vocab as it is quite addictive for many people, and if the student
puts it as the home page of his/her browser, it should make him do a bit every day. For
anything else, I have found that giving myself goals like "one page every day" or "two
exercises every day" works much, much better than "30 minutes every day". But you must
put reasonably high goals, too high ones might be contraproductive when the main goal
is to become more consistent.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5337 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 5 of 15
15 August 2012 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
@emk
20 minutes of French every day for 4-5 years without a break. Now that's self-discipline!
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5313 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 15
15 August 2012 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
@emk
20 minutes of French every day for 4-5 years without a break. Now that's self-
discipline

Sadly, it wasn't all 20 minutes the whole way through. As noted elsewhere, there was a
two-year maintenance period which might have been 5 minutes of Le Monde, a few SRS
cards, and typically an hour of listening to my wife speak to the kids in French.

If you make a really long-term commitment, it will tend to shrink as the years pass. As
your interest waxes and wanes, you'll be tempted to gradually replace goals like "learn
20 new words in my SRS deck" with goals like "review some SRS cards every day". Still,
even a pathetic commitment will help prevent you from losing ground, and you can always
"reboot" it with a larger, more specific goal when you feel ready.

I think it's really great that sctroyenne is focusing on teaching people how to
learn a language. And I really think that obstacle #1 is teaching them how to study
consistently.

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4798 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 7 of 15
15 August 2012 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
sctroyenne wrote:
... how to help an adult student who's motivated, wants to learn a
language, does fairly well in classes but has very little discipline to work on the
language on their own time?...

If you are the teacher how do you know he has little discipline to work on his onw when you say he is doing fairly well in the class ?

None of my language teachers ever told me how to learn a language. This could be a first step.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5337 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 8 of 15
15 August 2012 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
I'm generally quite undisciplined and averse to routine. So what's really helping me at the moment is to start my daily slot reserved for study with 5-10 minutes of a language activity where I have few expectations and experience little or no stress (e.g. I'm currently learning how to read Latin at a slow and steady pace just for fun).

By trying not to break the chain, as emk mentioned above, I get into the habit of doing at least something in my language learning schedule every day, even if that's just 5-10 minutes. However, once I've started and overcome this initial inertia, and the cognitive wheels are already in motion, I find it actually becomes much easier to continue on to a longer session in a primary language. This at least is something that works for me.

Edited by Teango on 15 August 2012 at 6:14pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version