Triglot
United States
Joined 5142 days ago

130 posts - 247 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 1 of 11
15 August 2012 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
I don't know how many of us football fans there are on the forum, but this video is really great even if you don't like the game. It's Arsene Wenger, the manager of Arsenal FC, a London based football club, speaking about the languages he speaks and how they have had a role in his life, footballing and otherwise. He was born in France, near the border with Germany, and speaks French, German, English, and a couple of others as well. He's got some interesting insights, especially when he starts talking about his experience with Japanese (he coached in Japan early in his career). Here's the video:

Arsene Wenger on languages

Well worth the watch, hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

12 persons have voted this message useful

EnglishEagle
United Kingdom
Joined 4357 days ago

140 posts - 157 votes 
Studies: English*, German

Message 2 of 11
16 August 2012 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
tennisfan wrote:
I don't know how many of us football fans there are on the forum, but this video is really great
even if you don't like the game. It's Arsene Wenger, the manager of Arsenal FC, a London based football club,
speaking about the languages he speaks and how they have had a role in his life, footballing and otherwise. He was
born in France, near the border with Germany, and speaks French, German, English, and a couple of others as well.
He's got some interesting insights, especially when he starts talking about his experience with Japanese (he
coached in Japan early in his career). Here's the video:

Arsene Wenger on languages

Well worth the watch, hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

That's awesome! Thanks for the video, I knew he spoke a few languages, but wasn't sure which ones. It was actually
quite an interesting video, thankyou for sharing!
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 11
18 August 2012 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
I posted it in this thread :-)

pingvin10
Groupie
Hungary
Joined 6060 days ago

68 posts - 114 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*
Studies: English, German, Spanish, Turkish

Message 4 of 11
28 November 2013 at 3:12am | IP Logged 
Arsene Wenger crowned public language champion

Arsene Wenger wrote:
Being voted Britain's first ever public language champion is an incredible honour. I am very proud that Arsenal and I can help raise the profile of language learning in schools. I hope that this award and Arsenal's Double Club can show that learning a new language does not always have to be a challenge and sport can help make it enjoyable learning.

Wenger is the first recipient of the Guardian's language award, announced today alongside the British Academy's 2013 schools language awards winners. The public language champion award is part of the British Academy and Guardian's language learning series and campaign to start a national debate on language learning.

2 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4447 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 5 of 11
28 November 2013 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
"I will sack the translator" (about 6mins in).

Had to try hard not to LOL at work :-)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 11
28 November 2013 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
From the comments:

Quote:
I bet the amount of languages he can say "I didn't see it" goes well into double figures

2 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4140 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 7 of 11
29 November 2013 at 8:22am | IP Logged 
Thanks for this, I liked it.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 8 of 11
29 November 2013 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
From the comments:

Quote:
I bet the amount of languages he can say "I didn't see it" goes well into double
figures

But you like Spurs.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version