Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Why so much variation in the letter "j"?

Language Learning Forum : Philological Room Post Reply
20 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
IronFist
United States
Joined 6218 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 1 of 20
18 August 2012 at 7:15am | IP Logged 
This post is made from an English perspective.

In Spanish it's an H.

In German it's a Y.

In French it's a Zh kinda thing (Portuguese, too?)

In English it's a J.

Why is there so much variation?

Compare to other letters, which are pretty much always the same.

What makes J so special that it gets pronounced differently in different languages?

1 person has voted this message useful

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4553 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 2 of 20
18 August 2012 at 9:14am | IP Logged 
J was originally just an alternative form of I. At some point they became separate letters - I for the Latin I vowel (i/ee in English) and J for the Latin I consonant (consonantal y in English). The thing is that when the Romance languages started to diverge the consonantal J sound shifted to different sounds in the various languages. IIRC it was [dʒ] in Old French (the English J sound) and [ʒ] in Old Spanish and Portuguese (the zh sound). Then it further changed to [x] (the harsh h sound) in Spanish and to [ʒ] in French. English borrowed the usage of J from Old French, but it didn't go through the same phonetic change, so it retained the older pronunciation. German (and, AFAIK, most European non-Romance languages) just use the original Latin pronunciation.

Edit: It's also interesting to note how the letter R has about as much variation in its pronuncations, if not more, and yet all those pronunciations are perceived as equivalent (at least as far as European languages are concerned).

Edited by vonPeterhof on 18 August 2012 at 9:22am

16 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 3 of 20
18 August 2012 at 9:19am | IP Logged 
Yeah, Dutch and Swedish retain it.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 20
18 August 2012 at 9:41am | IP Logged 
So does Finnish. Indonesian uses it the English way, btw.
Nice to see you refer to the Spanish sound as h. to me the English/Scandinavian/Finnish h is as similar to the German ch/Spanish j/Russian x as much as the Slavic hard and soft consonants are similar to each other. It's variation, not entirely different sounds!!!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Levi
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5348 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 5 of 20
18 August 2012 at 12:43pm | IP Logged 
Even within Spanish, you find a variety of sounds for J, ranging between a soft /h/ sound like English H, to the hard guttural /χ/ sound as in German "naCH", depending on the dialect of the speaker.

Edited by Levi on 18 August 2012 at 12:44pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 20
18 August 2012 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
Also, the English sound for J isn't as..significant in many languages. It may be less common or barely present. Especially then, it makes sense to use it for a sound which is more common in a given language. The Latin alphabet is just used for plenty of various languages.

ReQuest
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4813 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 7 of 20
18 August 2012 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
Indonesian used to write Jakarta as Djakarta. (due to us, the Dutch).
But to make Indonesian and Malasian spelling more similar, and I guess to "dedutchify" spelling, they changed it.

Edited by ReQuest on 18 August 2012 at 4:30pm

Pisces
Bilingual Pentaglot
Finland
Joined 4403 days ago

143 posts - 284 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish*, French, SwedishC1, Esperanto
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian

Message 8 of 20
20 August 2012 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
J was originally a variant of I (obvious if you look at it). "I"/"Y" easily become "J" sounds, for example in the English "soldier" or in phrases like "did you". There's a joke in a Woody Allen movie about the latter: the Woody Allen character is paranoid and thinks someone is saying "did Jew" instead of "did you".

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version