https://youtube.com/Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4343 days ago

8 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 9 of 11
10 October 2012 at 3:45am | IP Logged 
Jiwon wrote:
It's very encouraging to see a fellow German learner..
I used to devote nearly all of my time to learning German back in 2009... And have come back to learning German now that I have much free time before starting my military service.

Back then I used to post a few videos in German, which you can check out here
http://www.youtube.com/user/etherealjiwon

Viel Glück! :D

Danke! I subscribed just in case you decide to start making videos again. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

expowarrior
United States
Joined 4343 days ago

8 posts - 9 votes

Message 10 of 11
10 October 2012 at 3:58am | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
On talking to oneself: I think it's good if you can do it.
Personally, I'm not good at it.
I run out of things to say! :-)

Me too! I recorded myself talking to myself and it was just sad. I had no idea what to talk about. It's hard to put yourself on the spot like that.

montmorency wrote:

I'm a fan of reading out loud though.

There is also "shadowing", which you may know about, or if not, try searching the
forum, or look for Professor Arguelles talking about it on YouTube.

Again, I don't find it all that easy, but people speak highly of it, so it's something
I'll probably revisit when I can muster the energy! :)

I love reading out loud. I think it's helped me a lot with getting used to the sounds of the language. I've read about shadowing before, but I haven't really tried it yet. I may try it out the next time I have a nice block of time free.

expowarrior
United States
Joined 4343 days ago

8 posts - 9 votes

Message 11 of 11
10 October 2012 at 4:10am | IP Logged 
I'm overdue for another update:
* I haven't been able to write any essays for the past few weeks. I'm going to take a little break for two reasons:
  1. I work in retail and holiday season is already upon us - so I'm working more hours now.
  2. And I feel I need to focus on my speaking right now. I can get back to writing once I've made more progress with speaking.

*I've made another video of my speaking German. I think I can hear an improvement, and I've gotten some positive feedback (and constructive criticism of course).
You can click HERE to see it.

I still have perfect attendance at my German Conversation class. Last week barely anyone showed up for some strange reason. We all just had a long conversation. I actually liked it more, because I felt less shy and nervous, and I was able to speak more than on our more crowded days.

Another thing that's cutting into my German study time is my math class. I'm still a little behind in the homework for that class so it's become a bigger priority. :(

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version