Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4708 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 1 of 20
19 August 2012 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
I suspect this has either a very easy explanation (under my nose), or it simply has no explanation. I will dispense with the verbiage and get right to it. Compare grammatically first:

(yo) Sigo comiendo.
(yo) Sigo sentado.
(yo) Sigo sorprendido.
(yo) Sigo aprendiendo.

Analyze these 4 examples. Two are using the present participle and two the past particple. Look what happens if I vary from this:

Sigo comido (X)
Sigo sentando (X)
Sigo sorprendiendo (??)
Sigo aprendido (X)

The (X) means they are just completely wrong, and make no sense. But look how the 3rd option possibly does make sense both with a past and present participle, with a nuance in meaning.

Go a step further and analyze the nature of the actions themselves. The first one only makes sense with the present participle if the action of "eating" is still continuing in the literal sense (and makes no sense with a past participle). The 2nd does not make sense at all with a present participle, because the action of "seating" yourself is considered ephemeral, and you can't have a continuous aspect in this example without seemingly remaining a rational situation (imagine yourself standing and sitting down someone/something for 30 minutes continuosly... that is what "Sigo sentando" would hint at, and you would develop a "reputation" with everyone :) ).

The third example can make sense with BOTH. With the past participle ("Sigo sorprendido"), it means at one point someone or something did something shocking and you still feel the effects of that, even if the event itself was fugacious. If you use the present participle ("Sigo sorprendiendo"), it intimates that you are carrying out actions or behavior that shock OTHERS in a recurrent fashion. I hope that difference is understood.

The fourth example only makes sense with the present participle, yet one does not need to be carrying the action out continuosly, sinse "learning" is considered (I guess) an enduring state thus you could be on vacation but still say "Sigo aprendiendo".

I'm a native Spanish speaker and I would not be able to explain to a learner what grammatically or semantically determines the use of past or present participle, without my "instinct", which is all I've used here. I'll put English up for a cross-comparison:

I continue eating.
I continue (remain) seated.
I continue (remain) shocked.
I continue learning.

Notice how here you may need to change your main verb, though "I continue seated" seems perfectly fine, "I continue shocked" appears as a poor choice of words. I can't explain this either to a foreign learner except to say "that's just how it is".

Given the above, I am incapable of conveying this rich nuance RELIABLY in French or German. I would just "cop" out and use the present tense ("Je suis assis" / "Ich esse gerade"), but I know very well those do not mean at all the above, thus you lose something by returning to this kind of safety.

I would be temped to ask French or German natives how you would translate those examples, but I'm hoping that someone much smarter and experienced than me has perhaps a more logical way of explaining this phenomenon so I can much more reliably use this in my target languages. Of course I know that what works for French, or Spanish, may not work in German, but bottom line, I'm usually stomped when I want to convey these nuances and mastering these "aspects" (present vs continuous vs "lingering" actions), seems to me like a huge step to a more advanced mastery of language. Thank you for your time and help!
2 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5291 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 20
19 August 2012 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
There's a couple of things going on here, I think:

1. Different languages express different verb aspects.
For example, English distinguishes between "I sit" and "I am sitting" in the present
tense, but French generally doesn't. But in the past, French distinguishes between the
imparfait and the passé simple, using subtly different rules than English
uses to distinguish between "I sat" and "I was sitting".

2. The rules for participles vary tremendously between languages. French present
participles (such as courant, "running") are much less flexible than the
equivalent in English.

In general, if you can't express an aspect directly, most languages will have a work-
around. For example, if you want to say "I am loading the car", you can choose between
the following:

Quote:
Je charge la voiture. / I load the car.
(no French equivalent) / I am loading the car.
Je suis en train de charger la voiture. / I am in the process of loading the car.

Similarly, you may see helper verbs or adverbs picking up the slack:

Quote:
Je viens d'arriver. / I just arrived.
Je reste assis. / I remain seated.

As long as you stick to Indo-European languages, you can often find rough
correspondences that work 80% of the time. But eventually you'll run into something
like Latin's perfect passive participles, which are elegant enough in Latin prose, but
which translate into English as the insanely ugly construction "having been ____ed".

And as you go further afield, things get even weirder. Many kinds of Egyptian sentences
have no verb at all. Instead, they rely on various combinations of particles,
demonstratives, word order and context to convey verb aspects (and even tenses).
Apparently, once you introduce verbs, it gets even stranger still.

I think you're right when you say, "That's just how it is." You can't always express
every verbal aspect in another language, and even when you can, it's often undesirable.
For example, the French use "en train de" much less often than English-speakers use the
present progressive.

My current strategy is (1) to think in French, instead of translating from English, and
(2) to imitate the natives as much as possible.

Edited by emk on 19 August 2012 at 6:53pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4708 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 

Message 3 of 20
19 August 2012 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
Hahaha, that is my strategy too, just simply to develop the "instinct" based on massive amounts of listening and reading, but I also love the huge puzzle that is language construct, so why not try tackling it from this point to.

You are right, "Je reste assis", is how I would say it too. Yet in German I most often hear "Ich bleibe sitzen". Notice how the French uses a Past P, but German uses neither. So I can in fact convey this nuance if I'm brave enough, but I don't have enough confidence to extend this to verbs I don't know. Thus why I'm trying to see if there is a trick or something :)

"En train de" is like German "gerade", which is how these two languages can express explicitly progressive aspect where English/Spanish have full progressive tenses (thus why the English and Spanish progressive "creeps" into areas that could use the simple present, and in fact are used with the simple present in German and French). Since those are not actual full progressive grammatical constructs, their uses is much more restricted. The French and Germans only use them when they are being explicitly interrupted while doing that action (phone call, you show up at the door etc). English and Spanish can use progressive tenses even without such obvious mark.

Edited by outcast on 19 August 2012 at 5:21pm

1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4889 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 4 of 20
19 August 2012 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
Can't speak for French or German, but it would seem you're making your Spanish examples
way too complicated.

Where they work properly, the present participle is functioning as a gerund for an
action verb. The past particle is functioning as an adjective describing the subject.

R.
==
3 persons have voted this message useful

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4708 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 

Message 5 of 20
19 August 2012 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
Can't speak for French or German, but it would seem you're making your Spanish examples
way too complicated.

Where they work properly, the present participle is functioning as a gerund for an
action verb. The past particle is functioning as an adjective describing the subject.

R.
==

Actually this is important information for me, thanks for that. Since I haven't dissected Spanish grammatically like you, this is one of the great benefits of seeing one's native languages from the standpoint of the foreign lerner. Your description of the Spanish examples make sense, "gerund of action verb", and "past p. acting as adjective".

Just remember I simply came up with those phrases, I didn't analyze them like you just did since to me they come naturally, the downside to that is I can't explain what makes them different, like you just did. So thank you!

But it still does not explain, even in Spanish, what determines when to use one or the other.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4587 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 6 of 20
19 August 2012 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
An interesting topic, which reminds me of some problems I've had in the past, and still
have to some extent, with the present participle in German. I need to go back to my
grammar books, and also find some examples of what I'm getting at.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6668 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 20
19 August 2012 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
Not that I think that many natives think about grammar before uttering statements, but past participle endings function like adjectives (including gender agreement -ado/-ada, -ido/-ida) and is more "a result of an action" and therefore I think it's obvious that the examples look the way they do.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4985 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 8 of 20
19 August 2012 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
outcast wrote:
But it still does not explain, even in Spanish, what determines when to use one or the other.

After reading your original post (perhaps not attentively enough), I was scratching my head trying to figure out what the question was. If that's all that there's to it, maybe thinking in terms of 'active' and 'passive' participles will help you.

BTW, I'm not so sure just one of them can be used in every example you gave, but from the terms above it should be pretty intuitive when to use which one ;)

Edited by mrwarper on 20 August 2012 at 12:00am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version