BBC Journalist learns Iranian for Partner

Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
9 messages over 2 pages: 1
Jappy58
Bilingual Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 4426 days ago

200 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Guarani*, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Maghribi), Arabic (Written), French, English, Persian, Quechua, Portuguese
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 9 of 9
23 August 2012 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
ericblair wrote:
Wow, you two are awakening a long-held dream of mine. I guess I've just always looked in
the wrong places.

I am dead-set on studying Norwegian for now, but Persian has always been a "dream"
language to study at some point. Would you two mind listing resources I should consider
to go from my current level in Persian (non-existent) to...well, as high as there are
quality resources before (or up to a level where I could go fully native).

I only know English currently, so things like Assimil don't currently apply. I am not
sure how limiting that'd be in terms of other course options.

I recommend you start with "Persian Grammar: For Reference and Revision" by John Mace. It's not perfect, and it only gets you to an intermediate level, but it's good enough and what I used to get my foundation in the language.

A free online website is Easy Persian:

http://www.easypersian.com/

I wish it had been more complete when I was studying the language. XD

Dunwoody Press has some solid materials as well, such as "Persian Grammar and Verbs" as well as "Spoken Dari" which I previewed about 18 months ago (however, I didn't use it as a student - but it seems excellent for hearing some Dari."

Persian is an adventure. I'm sure you'll love it once you get to it. :)

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version