ericblair
United States
Joined 4510 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 11
21 August 2012 at 6:04am | IP Logged 
Anyone have an opinion on this specific course? If not, any opinions on the Head Start
series in general? Thanks!

http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php?page=Norwegian
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4965 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 2 of 11
21 August 2012 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
It seems pretty much focused on touristic situations. If your goal is to learn Norwegian more extensively, i'd recommend something else like Hugo's Norwegian in Three Months.
2 persons have voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6028 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 3 of 11
21 August 2012 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, the "Head Start" series were intended for just that; a "Head Start" for diplomats assigned at the last-minute to
a foreign country. The courses are intended to be a bare-bones, crash course to get the basics down with the
intention of the diplomat picking up much more once on assignment.

That being said, they aren't bad. They teach 300 or so high frequency words and it looks like Norwegian has 4
hours of audio. I would say that it is a good alternative to Pimsleur or Teach Yourself if you are starting from
scratch. If you are more advanced, it probably wouldn't offer you more than a quick review!

ericblair
United States
Joined 4510 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 

Message 4 of 11
21 August 2012 at 7:13pm | IP Logged 
Nice, thanks for the replies. I had actually bought a used "Norwegian in 3 Months" and a "Teach Yourself," but they were older copies that had no audio, so I was thinking to using something with audio would be a good idea. So, I was thinking of maybe using "Head Start" in conjunction with Klouman's "Learn Norwegian" since both have audio

I am a total beginner, so getting ~300 high frequency words while having legit audio sounds pretty solid :)

The intro says that "Head Start" consists of 8 units with 5 sections each. This will actually be my first ever time to use anything from DLI (I've never used FSI either), so any input on how long each should take? I'd assume with what it was designed for, it isn't something to last months and months. But any input on pacing would be great. 1 unit a week a decent pace? More? Less?

Edited by ericblair on 21 August 2012 at 7:14pm

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4929 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 5 of 11
21 August 2012 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
ericblair wrote:

I am a total beginner, so getting ~300 high frequency words while having legit audio
sounds pretty solid :)

This doesn't include audio, but the Norword
Reprise
site, together with the Verb of the week link on the same page, will give
you good exposure to high frequency words and conjugations.

This grew into a more complete course later on, but what's on their web page is free.

R.
==

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6028 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 6 of 11
22 August 2012 at 6:42am | IP Logged 
ericblair wrote:

The intro says that "Head Start" consists of 8 units with 5 sections each. This will actually be my first ever time to
use anything from DLI (I've never used FSI either), so any input on how long each should take? I'd assume with what
it was designed for, it isn't something to last months and months. But any input on pacing would be great. 1 unit a
week a decent pace? More? Less?

I'll bet if you put in an hour or two a day you could get through the whole course in 1-2 months and then move on
to an intermediate course.
Now that I'm thinking of it Pod101 has a Norwegian course now (either called Norwegian Pod or Norwegian Class
101). I used the Russian Intermediate Series and it was really good!

ericblair
United States
Joined 4510 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 

Message 7 of 11
22 August 2012 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
liddytime wrote:
ericblair wrote:

The intro says that "Head Start" consists of 8 units with 5 sections each. This will
actually be my first ever time to
use anything from DLI (I've never used FSI either), so any input on how long each
should take? I'd assume with what
it was designed for, it isn't something to last months and months. But any input on
pacing would be great. 1 unit a
week a decent pace? More? Less?

I'll bet if you put in an hour or two a day you could get through the whole course in
1-2 months and then move on
to an intermediate course.
Now that I'm thinking of it Pod101 has a Norwegian course now (either called Norwegian
Pod or Norwegian Class
101). I used the Russian Intermediate Series and it was really good!

Thanks for the tip on how long I should use Head Start for :)

I just signed up for Norwegian Pod 101. I don't really have the money to spare to pay
for an account, but do you know if the free stuff there is very quality (or worth the
effort to go back for) or do I really need to spend the money to make it worth my time?

ericblair
United States
Joined 4510 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 

Message 8 of 11
22 August 2012 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone know how to download the audio links from the FSI site?

http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php?page=Norwegian

I'd really like to be able to download those so I can put them on my mp3 player and use them anywhere. I am sure it is possible, but I am just not that gifted in the arena of computer skills.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version