kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4634 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 81 of 706
13 February 2013 at 3:19am | IP Logged 
The eternal goal I have as far as Japanese is concerned is this: How can I make it fun and interesting?

The easy answer is this: Do things that you like to do, but in Japanese. So what do I like? Sports, music, and travel come to mind quickly. Unfortunately, I can't travel as much as I would like, especially with a pet rabbit at home. So when I do get to travel (once a year), I want to "make it count", i.e. go somewhere overseas - Europe, North America, etc.

As for music... sorry. I tried, I really did - and I know some of you will not agree with me - but I can't stand Japanese pop music. I can't stand enka either. The only Japanese-language CD that I have is a rap CD from a group called Teriyaki Boyz, and that is a one-time project (all the members come from other groups, such as Rip Slyme).

So that leaves sports. Now, I love sports, and not just American ones. You name it, I probably like it. I'm the only American I know of that knows the rules of cricket. I'm one of the few Americans that know what a fly half is and what he (or she) does.

Japan is no different than most countries. Sports are popular here. So I'm looking for some nice sports websites that I can peruse every now and then, read about baseball or soccer or even NBA basketball, and learn some new words in the process. I already do this with some Brazilian websites. Even though I hardly know any of the words, I can usually pick up the gist of an article through cognates and pictures. So why not do this with Japanese?   

The only problem is making the time for it. I think that to do this, I have to give up reading about sports at English-language websites, which is one of my favorite weekend pastimes. I think I'm at the point where if I really want to make some advances in my language, I need to think about what else I can sacrifice. Perhaps every little bit helps.
1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5769 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 82 of 706
13 February 2013 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
I'm with you on Japanese music. I listen to some stuff basically just because it is in Japanese. There's very little Japanese music I've discovered that I would listen to anyway. Of course you could still read articles in Japanese about music you do like? Although personally I prefer listening to music over reading about it (and somehow I'm a music graduate).

You are missing one important way in which you could use Japanese in connection with travel. I'm assuming when you plan your annual holiday you do some research about where you are planning to visit? Why not start doing this in Japanese? There must be plenty of Japanese guidebooks out there?

And I think your idea of using Japanese for sport is a brilliant one!
2 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5049 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 83 of 706
13 February 2013 at 7:39pm | IP Logged 
Hey Kuji, have you tried MLB Japan, NBA Japan, Japan Football Association, NFL Japan. This should keep you busy for a while.
2 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4634 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 84 of 706
14 February 2013 at 1:10am | IP Logged 
@g-bod - Doh! I completely forgot about that. You know, there are tons of Japanese travel books, easily found in any bookstore. Unlike English-language books such as Lonely Planet, they are loaded with pictures, colorful maps, and all kinds of information about restaurants, stores, hotels, etc. Books like Lonely Planet tend to focus on "off the beaten path" sights, but Japanese-language guidebooks focus more on the so-called tourist traps, which a lot of people do want to see. Great idea!

@iguanamon - Thank you for the links, as always. I found those sites earlier (except the NFL one; I didn't realize they had a Japanese version). I just need to start opening articles and reading them.

Some other sports sites I found:
Yahoo! JAPAN Sports
Nikkan Sports
Web Sportiva
They tend to be baseball- and soccer-centric, but they have news for other sports as well.

I'll throw in a Portuguese site, too:
ESPN Estadão
I used to listen to their sports radio channel through this website, but apparently you cannot listen to it outside of Brazil anymore. (Seems like all of Brazilian media no longer wants us outsiders to listen or watch their stuff anymore.) You can still read the articles, though.

I often worry about learning a language through sports, because sports has such specialized vocabulary. But hey, I'm likely to talk sports with other people, so it could be useful.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4634 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 85 of 706
14 February 2013 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
I reached a milestone this morning: I completed Volume 1 of the DLI Portuguese Basic Course! Yay me! É uma grande coisa, não é?

I'll probably begin Volume 2 this afternoon on the train back home... unless my students, who also ride the same train, start talking to me in Japanese. Don't those brats know I don't study Japanese on Thursdays? :)

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5049 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 86 of 706
14 February 2013 at 2:22am | IP Logged 
Que ótimo, Kuji, parabéns! Deve estar muito orgulhoso. Sabia que iria conseguir. Fico muito contente por você. Boa sorte com volume 2. Você merece uma caipirinha!
3 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4634 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 87 of 706
14 February 2013 at 4:11am | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Que ótimo, Kuji, parabéns! Deve estar muito orgulhoso. Sabia que iria conseguir. Fico muito contente por você. Boa sorte com volume 2. Você merece uma caipirinha!

Obrigado, iguanamon. Estou muito orgulhoso!

I'm especially glad that I was able to settle on DLI after flip-flopping between that and FSI Programmatic. I think that DLI is working well for me, and I'm excited about what's coming next!

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6407 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 88 of 706
14 February 2013 at 8:12am | IP Logged 
Where do you get the DLI courses? Are they free?

This discussion contains 706 messages over 89 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version