Joined 4607 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 145 of 706
15 March 2013 at 9:27am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
But I mostly meant making quick parallel texts for just reading once or
twice and not coming back to them later.

Ah, I see. That makes sense.

Serpent wrote:
BTW, do you use a popup dictionary? Should be helpful.

The only one I know of for Portuguese is Lingro. It seems to work well most of the time,
except with some conjugated verbs. Rikaichan is awesome for Japanese! Do you know of
any others?

1 person has voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4607 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 146 of 706
15 March 2013 at 9:32am | IP Logged 
Hasi wrote:
I have a similar problem when it comes to adding new cards, I hate it and
I also prefer reviewing rather than adding
cards. What I do is this: I time box, I tell myself that I have about 5 minutes to add
new cards and then I can take a
break or that I will just have to add one new entry. Just one, and then I can go do
something fun. Seeing as adding
one doesn't take that long I often end up adding 5-10 new cards, and sometimes only
three, but usually more than
the one I had intended.

This is a great idea, Hasi! Actually, I tried this yesterday. I downloaded a timer
software for my USB drive so I can use it anywhere. I set it to 30 minutes, then added
stuff to Anki until it rang. It's amazing how fast 30 minutes goes when adding to
Anki!

Now that I think about it, no wonder I was feeling stressed about adding stuff to Anki.
With no classes now at the school where I work, I sometimes take a break from planning
lessons for the upcoming school year to add new cards to Anki, and I lose track of
time. No wonder I burnout. Timeboxing is necessary for me, I think.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4607 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 147 of 706
18 March 2013 at 5:34am | IP Logged 
Well, recently I added several cards into Anki with just the word on the front and an L1 or L2 definition on the back. Those cards were mixed in with my Anki reviews the past few days.

The verdict? Single word cards are boring and difficult for me.

Here is a word I picked up while reading some sports news in Japanese the other day: 逆転 (gyakuten). It means "reversal; about face; complete turn-around."   I put it into Anki, then first reviewed it the following day, and I had trouble remembering anything associated with the word. It took me longer than usual to learn the reading of the kanji and the meaning, so that I could press "Good". But I still had no idea how to use it. For example, it could be used as a noun or a verb (逆転する) It can be used with 大 to make 大逆転 (huge turn-around or big comeback).    I could put that information into the card, but overall I can infer a lot of that from looking at an example sentence or two.   Sentences also show the nuances of using the word (this seems to often be used in sports settings, for example). A sentence also makes it easier for me to recall the reading of the kanji, plus it's just more interesting to read a sentence instead of a word.

So I've decided to just stick with sentences. But how to combat the stress I get from inputting sentences into Anki?

Looking back at several of the recent posts in this thread (those with your helpful pointers and tips), I've put together a short list of tips to serve as a guideline for me.

TIPS FOR MAKING DATA ENTRY INTO ANKI LESS STRESSFUL

Be Selective

When adding materials from any of my sources, I do not need to add everything to Anki in one go. It is better for me to just add the things that I can see myself putting to use RIGHT NOW, and are interesting to me. For my level of Portuguese, "I watch soccer on TV" is more practical and interesting than "In Brazilian society, the family structure dates from colonial times."

In short, I'm not Neo from the Matrix; I can't feed the whole language into my brain in one go. I have to take it bite-by-bite (or byte-by-byte; both would make sense here - LOL), and I need to be choosy about what I feed myself.

The Less Typing, The Better
Instead of typing full sentences from my textbooks or other printed material, just type the word I want to learn into an online dictionary or Tatoeba.org or Google, find a sentence, and copy and paste. That'll save several seconds per card. If I'm using Tatoeba.org, I can even just click a button and save sentences with translations to a list, then download it in CSV format for input into Anki (if I want to do it that way).

A bonus side effect is that I can learn the word not only in the context that I saw it in my textbook/source, but I can also learn it in the context of the sentence that I found online.

Timebox
I use timeboxing for Anki reviews (10 minutes per deck), so it makes sense to timebox my Anki input sessions as well. I downloaded some timer software, and I'm setting it to 30 minutes, and I just add cards until the timer beeps. The last time I did it, I was thinking, "Wow, only 30 minutes? That's fast! I have more cards to add!" This highlights my problem - when I start, I want to keep going and going and going... until I burn out. The timer will force me to take it easy and go slowly, which means less stress.
2 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4607 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 148 of 706
21 March 2013 at 7:47am | IP Logged 
Nothing useful in this post... Just wondering if I should split my language log into two: one for Japanese and one for Portuguese...

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6380 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 149 of 706
23 March 2013 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
Nothing useful in this post... Just wondering if I should split my language log into two: one for Japanese and one for Portuguese...

Personally, I vote for one united log. It's nice to read about all your linguistic adventures even if I might not understand all the Portuguese bits. Also there is always a lot of stuff that can apply to more than one language, like the discussion about words vs sentences in Anki or how to make parallel texts.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5742 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 150 of 706
23 March 2013 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
I think a single log is a good idea too. Reading about how you balance study of two languages is also valuable, I think. Plus I've been enjoying the discussions about Brazilian music, even though I have no intention of studying Portuguese at the moment!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 151 of 706
23 March 2013 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
Agreed! The opposite for me, I love finding out a little about Japanese while following your progress in Portuguese! :)

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4926 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 152 of 706
23 March 2013 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Agreed! The opposite for me, I love finding out a little about Japanese
while following your progress in Portuguese! :)
[2] =D

Both options have pros and cons. I have opted for the separate logs for each language
because I had started languages prior to the TAC and I mean to keep working on them
after the TAC. Still, I think I could have written more useful posts if I had updated
my progress at one log at once. I'd also be able to see the big picture of my overall
progress. The way I'm doing it now, I even study different languages at different parts
of the day, and for half of them I do limited study while for others I seem to employ
more time. As if it weren't enough, I believe the language I'm working the most at and
have the most to tell about is French, and that isn't even on my TAC list. Therefore,
my French log is serving only as an actual log, like debugging logs you find in
programming: it consists of the register of which resources I've used, punctuated with
a few remarks here and there, which I ought to do in French but I'm not always in the
mood to. I think people who are into Russian would get to know about Georgian and
Norwegian, and so on. And I don't have a long on Mandarin Chinese at this forum, even
though I've been struggling with it for the past 2 years. Anyway, that's how it is. Now
I don't feel like creating a new log for a pair of languages. I'll have to stick to 1
language 1 log and take it as far as it is possible from a practical point of view.

This discussion contains 706 messages over 89 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version