Joined 4629 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 193 of 706
14 May 2013 at 3:43am | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
I remember your posts last year, when it seemed you had 101 reasons why
it was impossible to learn Japanese. To read how you have since managed to organise
yourself to find time through clever use of your commute to study not only Japanese but
also Portuguese is a true inspiration.

Wow... thank you for the kind post, g-bod!

I did look back at some of my earlier posts, and wow... I'm ashamed that I was
that whiny! By far, the biggest benefit to posting a log here at HTLAL has been
a change from a negative attitude regarding learning Japanese to a positive one. I've
gone from "These various kanji readings are ridiculous" and "The language isn't pretty"
to "I can do this!" and "It's only a matter of time."

As for inspiration... I don't know about that, but I do know that you, g-bod, as well
as many others, have inspired and motivated me, so thank you very much.
1 person has voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4629 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 194 of 706
14 May 2013 at 3:49am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
kuji, I don't know if you saw fabriciocarraro's last post, at which
he gives lots of advices on Brazilian podcasts:

Nerdcast - they talk about a lot of subjects - tech, films, history, culture etc.
Rapaduracast - cinema
MRG - films, books, comics
Café Brasil - philosphy, history

Expugnator, thank you very much! I saw fabriciocarraro's post (the one in French,
right?). I wish I could remember the French I learned at university, but your summary
above helped me a lot.

I already subscribe to Café Brasil, although I don't listen to it that much; I tell
myself that I will get more out of it when I reach a higher level, but surely just
listening to it will not harm me, and I could pick up a few words and train my
listening as well.

I see that Nerdcast is one of the most popular Portuguese-language podcasts, but I
could not understand what it is about. Now I know, so I will download it as soon as
possible!

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4833 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 195 of 706
14 May 2013 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
kuji, I don't know if you saw fabriciocarraro's last post, at which he gives lots of advices on Brazilian podcasts:

Nerdcast - they talk about a lot of subjects - tech, films, history, culture etc.
Rapaduracast - cinema
MRG - films, books, comics
Café Brasil - philosphy, history

Thanks a lot for these podcasts!

and kujichagulia, thanks for the 'native nod' on lang8. It's a small world. :P
2 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4629 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 196 of 706
15 May 2013 at 1:56am | IP Logged 
espejismo wrote:

Thanks a lot for these podcasts!

and kujichagulia, thanks for the 'native nod' on lang8. It's a small world. :P

Whoa, it certainly is! I didn't realize that you were the person I gave a native nod to... heck, I don't even remember giving a native nod! :P But if I gave you one, you deserved it!

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4629 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 197 of 706
16 May 2013 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
Just an update here.

I finished Chapter 9 of An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese! And I completed it in about half a month! I'm flying through this book using my new routine of studying Japanese every afternoon on the train. The bad thing is that I'm only studying with IAIJ at the moment, but with six chapters to go... hmmm. I wonder if I should go slower with IAIJ and mix in some other resources again.

Speaking of which... I haven't touched The Little Prince since I started this routine. The Japanese version is written almost entirely in hiragana and katakana, with very little kanji. This is because it is a children's story, and children of that age do not have a great knowledge of kanji. Theoretically, that should make it easier for me to read. But for me, I find it a bit annoying. It is difficult to look up unknown words, for example. There are many homonyms in Japanese, and the Chinese characters help differentiate the meanings from each other. I may think that a word means one thing, when in fact it has another meaning in that context. If an entire sentence is unknown to me, it can be difficult to parse the words, and to know if that に or は or が is a particle or part of the preceding or following word. I should probably just continue to push myself through it until the end.

For DLI Portuguese Basic, I am currently in the middle of Unit 2 Lesson 18. I'm getting a good grounding in simple past tense, which allows me to begin writing a simple diary! I posted a short entry on Lang-8, the first time in a while I've done that.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4629 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 198 of 706
31 May 2013 at 4:24am | IP Logged 
A couple of weeks ago, I started to think that I had the wrong mental approach to my
Japanese studies. Since my recommitment to Japanese, I have studied with this mindset:
"It's only a matter of time until I can speak Japanese with anybody on all but the most
specialized subjects." It is true that it is only a matter of time, but I think
I did not realize just how much time it is going to take me to reach C1 or even B2
in Japanese.
I mean, I have learned a lot since last summer. My
vocabulary, grammar, reading, kanji and listening skills have all improved to various
degrees. But I'm still stuck in B1 level, and B2 seems far, far away.

So I decided to research just how much time, on average, it was going to take me to
reach C1 in Japanese.
I came across two web pages (sorry, having trouble posting
the links today) that has the US Foreign Service Institute's (FSI's)
list of languages organized by difficulty for native English speakers. Japanese is
listed in the most difficult category, along with Chinese, Korean and Arabic. In fact,
there is an asterisk next to Japanese denoting that it is a little bit more difficult
than the other languages in the category. That means, according to FSI, I'm learning
the most difficult language I could possibly learn.

That's fine, but how long will it take to learn? FSI says it will take 2200 hours to
learn Japanese to Level 3. According to a Wikipedia page called Common European
Framework of Reference for Languages, Level 3 of
the ILR scale (what FSI uses) is roughly equivalent to C1 on the CEFR (European) scale.    

I'm at B1 now, so how long will it take me to reach C1?   In fact, when can I
expect to reach B2?

Using the Deutsche Welle information at that last link I posted two paragraphs ago, I
came up with the following estimates. Out of all the time you need to reach C2 in a
language, it will take you:

17% of the time to go from scratch to A2 (perhaps 8% to reach A1 from scratch?)
17% of the time to go from A2 to B1
17% of the time to go from B1 to B2
17% of the time to go from B2 to C1
32% of the time to go from C1 to C2

Using this, and the 2200 hours FSI says it will take me to reach C1 from scratch, I
estimate that it will take me roughly 3200 hours to go from scratch to C2. 17% of that
is 540 hours.

I study a minimum of five hours a week (intensively - not counting watching TV,
listening to all the Japanese around me, etc.), and most weeks I study more than that.
Those five hours don't count weekend hours, which are flexible. But if I just study
five hours a week, then it will take me about two years to get from B1 to B2.
That makes some sense. It has been only a year since my recommitment. In fact, I may
have been more of an A2 when I recommitted myself last year, so it may take me longer.

Now, I do know that these numbers are just estimates and theories. But they do serve a
purpose: I now realize that I still have a lot of work ahead of me, and I need to put
my head down and make the journey.

Anyway, I decided to calculate the hours for Portuguese as well. FSI says it is one of
the easier languages for me to learn, and they say that it will take just 600 hours to
reach Level 3/C1. That means 900 hours for C2. 17% of that is 150 hours.

I started Portuguese in August 2012, and I study about five hours a week. So, to go
from nothing to A2, it should take me about 7 months. It's May, that means it has been
9 months. I doubt that I am at A2, although I would list myself as a high A1. But
yeah, I know that these numbers are not concrete - just estimates.

What is interesting is that, if I use these guidelines, I should reach B2 in Japanese
perhaps January-May 2015. I should reach B2 in Portuguese by January-February 2015.
So I'm on pace to become fluent in Portuguese before I do in Japanese! Uh-oh.
That
can't happen.

Edited by kujichagulia on 31 May 2013 at 4:29am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 199 of 706
31 May 2013 at 10:53am | IP Logged 
The thing about the FSI numbers is that they are the hours in the classroom. But FSI students also get tons of homeworks. On the other hand, they probably teach some topics that are not essential for you (like military or diplomatic stuff).
But yeah, sooner or later your Portuguese will surpass your Japanese. It's easier and you like it more.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5764 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 200 of 706
31 May 2013 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
The FSI numbers are also based on studying to a really intensive schedule (20 class hours per
week). I often wonder if this is not the most efficient way of doing things.

Nevertheless, thinking about my own studies, I'm beyond the point of being able to make an
accurate assessment of total time studying Japanese. However, assuming I put in an average of
1 hour a day over the last five years, and intend to continue at that intensity, I'd still
have to study for another 12 months to hit the 2200 hours threshold. That's pretty sobering.
Japanese is hard.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 706 messages over 89 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version