kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4633 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 225 of 706
26 June 2013 at 8:57am | IP Logged 
I agree with Evita about big decks. I find having many smaller decks to be extra work when doing reviews. For my Japanese studies, I put all my vocabulary, grammar, and sentences into one big deck called "Japanese" (with the one exception being kanji, because for those I practice writing). I do the same for my Portuguese and Esperanto cards.

As for dropping my Japanese deck (not to mention my Portuguese and Esperanto ones).... I'm seriously, seriously thinking about doing it. Right now I'm editing out any sentences that I can't determine are from good sources (which are the vast majority of them!). I mark cards when doing reviews, and if I have time later in the day I edit the marked cards. But it is painstakingly troublesome and tedious. I think that if I "blow up" my decks, if the vocabulary is that important I'll encounter it again, and I can put it into Anki again. As for the grammar, when I finish with An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese I'm going to do a quick review of it as well as the two Genki books I have, and I can pick out any troublesome grammar at that point and add it back into Anki.

In fact, as I am typing this, blowing up my decks sounds really, really good. I think that I am at the point where "what I get out of it" is not really good enough right now, and a re-do is necessary.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 226 of 706
26 June 2013 at 9:05am | IP Logged 
There's also the option of taking a break from Anki :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5048 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 227 of 706
26 June 2013 at 1:09pm | IP Logged 
I find this discussion fascinating because I don't use Anki at all. I never have. Yet to so many, it is such an indispensable part of their learning- to the point that not using it would be unthinkable. Somehow, I have managed to learn two languages without using Anki. It's not because I have an exceptional memory. I think my approach to language learning tends to reinforce vocabulary and phrases. Since I incorporate reading, listening and speaking as early as possible, it becomes an integral part of my learning. I don't need to "drill" words and phrases into my brain in the same way that someone who doesn't engage the language in the way that I do would need. Don't get me wrong, I know we all learn differently. I believe in "by any means necessary". Still, I think that when using Anki gets to the point that the system becomes more important than the end objective, it is time to re-evaluate the system. The system should work for you. You shouldn't work for the system.

Use it (if you must) in moderation to learn vocabulary or short phrases that are troublesome and let context reinforce what you have learned, not the other way around. Don't put the cart before the horse. I think you're on to something now, Kuji.

I honestly can't imagine being so tied to such a system and so worried about my "deck". The more I see people agonizing over Anki, the happier I am that I don't use it. Boa sorte, Kuji.

Edited by iguanamon on 26 June 2013 at 3:04pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4633 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 228 of 706
26 June 2013 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
There's also the option of taking a break from Anki :)

A break would be nice too! :) But I do need to think about a new approach to this SRS thing.
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6338 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 229 of 706
26 June 2013 at 2:53pm | IP Logged 
I don't know about others but I don't use Anki because I "must", I find it the most effective tool for me to learn vocabulary. Obviously it's not necessary, you can learn a language just fine without it, that's how I learned English, for example. Still, here are some reasons why Anki is good:

1) Its SRS algorithm is designed to facilitate learning the maximum amount with the minimum time spent,
2) It can be used when one is just starting a language and can't dive into native materials yet (this period can last up to several years for some very difficult languages),
3) It can be used if you don't have time for or access to native materials,
4) It is useful as a disciplining tool (for people like me who like to procrastinate and wouldn't review words on some days if Anki wasn't demanding it),
5) If you have a smartphone, it can be used any time you have an idle time, like when commuting, standing in a line, waiting for someone, etc.
6) If you use Anki, you know how many new words you have learned. Some people don't care about that but some people like to see their progress reflected in numbers.

So, I think that's enough benefits to consider using it. If none of them applies to you then by all means, don't use it. I just found the tone of your message somehow wrong. Not all people who use Anki are unhappy about it.
3 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4633 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 230 of 706
26 June 2013 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
I find this discussion fascinating because I don't use Anki at all. I never have. Yet to so many, it is such an indispensable part of their learning- to the point that not using it would be unthinkable.

I wouldn't say it would be unthinkable for me not to use Anki. But it has helped me to remember more vocabulary, that's for sure.

I'm sure there are other ways to remember vocabulary, and you mentioned how you are able to do it. And iguanamon, your advice in particular has helped me to learn words in other ways besides Anki. I'm reading articles and things like that, and inadvertently picking up words while doing it!

But I've always been a flashcard guy, and Anki makes it easier to make and do flashcards. But as you pointed out, when I start agonizing over how I do flashcards, it's time to step back and re-evaluate the situation, and that is what I'm going to do now.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5048 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 231 of 706
26 June 2013 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
Evita, my intent is not to criticize. I support whatever means anyone finds effective in language learning. Obviously, Anki has worked quite well for you, as you have proven. I just wanted to let others know that it is indeed possible not to use Anki and still be ok. I know that I am in the minority on this here on the forum. Sorry if my tone was taken as implied criticism. I should really add more qualifiers when I write.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6338 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 232 of 706
26 June 2013 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Evita, my intent is not to criticize. I support whatever means anyone finds effective in language learning. Obviously, Anki has worked quite well for you, as you have proven. I just wanted to let others know that it is indeed possible not to use Anki and still be ok. I know that I am in the minority on this here on the forum. Sorry if my tone was taken as implied criticism. I should really add more qualifiers when I write.

Sorry about arguing with you but I think the bolded statement is obvious and you saying it makes you seem patronizing. Obviously people were learning foreign languages long before Anki was invented and before flashcards were invented, and they were successful. I'm sure everyone knows that and therefore knows that Anki is not essential for language learning. The question is just about how quickly/efficiently/conveniently you can do it. If you mean that your method is more efficient than Anki, well, I'll have to disagree here. It is more enjoyable though, I admit that.

This discussion contains 706 messages over 89 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version