Diglot
Austria
Joined 5896 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 265 of 706
19 July 2013 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
I agree with what you are saying. After all, it is about YOU, and what YOU like to do, even if other people might say that the way you are doing things is wrong. I did a similar thing when I was going through RTK. Instead of going from meaning to kanji I would go from story (cloze deleted) to kanji and then after I finished the book I started reviewing from kanji to keyword which a lot of people say is wrong. Well, it might have been wrong to do it like that but I enjoy it a lot more this way. Also, as I am going through Core I regonize quite a lot of kanji when reviewing and I don't think of their English equivalent but rather: oh, that's the けい in 警察.

Like I said, as long as you like what you are doing, it can't be wrong :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4627 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 266 of 706
19 July 2013 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
Hasi wrote:
I agree with what you are saying. After all, it is about YOU, and what YOU like to do, even if other people might say that the way you are doing things is wrong. I did a similar thing when I was going through RTK. Instead of going from meaning to kanji I would go from story (cloze deleted) to kanji and then after I finished the book I started reviewing from kanji to keyword which a lot of people say is wrong. Well, it might have been wrong to do it like that but I enjoy it a lot more this way. Also, as I am going through Core I regonize quite a lot of kanji when reviewing and I don't think of their English equivalent but rather: oh, that's the けい in 警察.

Like I said, as long as you like what you are doing, it can't be wrong :)

Thank you, Hasi! I'm glad to hear from another person who has gone against the trend. I am not sure yet if I will like doing this everyday, but at least I am trying.
1 person has voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4627 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 267 of 706
20 July 2013 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
A summer tradition of mine has once again taken place for the third straight year. Just like the last two summers, I began this summer with some Esperanto wanderlust. I finally gave in and dedicated some time to studying it. And before the summer has finished, my interest in Esperanto has waned, so I've stopped studying it.

Looks like the third time's not the charm, hehe.

This is one tradition that I do not really want to see become an annual event. If I'm going to keep losing my interest in the language once I start it, no need to restart the whole process over and over.

Well, this is good news for my Portuguese, as the time I took away to study Esperanto can go back to that language.

Even when I still had some interest in Esperanto, it was really tough for me to study three languages at one time. I worked hard to keep Japanese as a high priority, but my Portuguese definitely suffered. I think that any future languages I want to study will have to wait until I get either Japanese or Portuguese up to a level where I can advance without formal study.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 268 of 706
21 July 2013 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
As a native speaker of English you can always advance without formal study;)
edit: in Portuguese I mean

Edited by Serpent on 21 July 2013 at 6:09pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4627 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 269 of 706
22 July 2013 at 3:46am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
As a native speaker of English you can always advance without formal study;)
edit: in Portuguese I mean

Well, yeah, that's true. I think I want to at least finish all of the DLI units and get a good foundation in grammar before I completely go to just reading, watching and listening to stuff I like. That's my aim. After that, I'll think about doing another language.

Speaking of that, that is probably what I will do with Japanese once I finish An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese. I will try just reading, watching and listening to stuff I like, and try advancing that way. Of course, I will need to continue to study kanji, at least until I know all of the joyo kanji. Joyo kanji are the 2000 or so Chinese characters that the Japanese government has said all educated Japanese need to know on a daily basis. With these, you can do things like read a newspaper with no problems. Any kanji outside of these tend to be rare, and if they are listed in a newspaper and on TV, they usually have the readings printed next to, or on top of, the kanji.

mike245
Triglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6752 days ago

303 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Cantonese
Studies: French, German, Mandarin, Khmer

Message 270 of 706
24 July 2013 at 3:44am | IP Logged 
Are you using any particular resources to study the joyo kanji that you would recommend?

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4627 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 271 of 706
24 July 2013 at 4:43am | IP Logged 
mike245 wrote:
Are you using any particular resources to study the joyo kanji that you would recommend?

The only resource I am using to learn joyo kanji is my intermediate textbook, An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese. Each chapter has a section on words that you need to know in kanji. Moreover, the workbook has for each chapter a kanji-writing worksheet, so you can practice writing the new kanji from each chapter.

First, I do the worksheet, then I put all the kanji into my Anki Kanji deck. I have the deck set up so that it shows me a word with the kanji, but with the character I am working on replaced by hiragana or katakana. I write the missing kanji on a piece of paper, then press the button to check if I got it right or not.

Incorporating kanji writing into Anki has done tremendous wonders for my writing practice. I might try the same if I ever get to studying Chinese.

Back to joyo kanji: Before IAIJ I used the Genki beginner's Japanese textbooks. The two Genki textbooks, plus the IAIJ textbook, should get you used to probably 80% of the joyo kanji - if not writing, then certainly reading.

Those textbooks can be useful, but they were made for university courses. There are a lot of activities in them that is best suited for a classroom environment, and there are no answer keys for you to check, for example, your answers in the workbook. If you want to really check your progress, but you don't have easy access to someone advanced in Japanese, then I don't recommend it. But if you use those books to study the dialogs, grammar sections, and kanji, then they are good tools to have.

That said, if I had to do it all over again, I would probably go through the Minna no Nihongo series. I haven't used it myself. I just skimmed through a few at the bookstore, but it seems to be better suited for self-study. Plus it's cheaper.

mike245
Triglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6752 days ago

303 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Cantonese
Studies: French, German, Mandarin, Khmer

Message 272 of 706
24 July 2013 at 6:13am | IP Logged 
Thanks, this is very helpful! Unfortunately, I've already ordered the first Genki volume
to pick up the next time I'm in the US. I guess I can use it for the grammar, kanji and
dialogues, as you recommend.

Is the Minna no Nihonga series readily available in bookstores in Japan? I think Assimil
Japanese and JapanesePod101 will keep me busy until my trip in November, but it would be
nice to keep a look out for further study materials when I'm in Tokyo. Almost all of the
Japanese study materials here are in Chinese, which isn't so helpful for me.

Edited by mike245 on 24 July 2013 at 6:15am

This discussion contains 706 messages over 89 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version