Joined 6400 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 25 of 706
03 September 2012 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:
I've never tried perapera but there is also this other pop-up dictionary for Firefox, Rikaisama. It's what I use. It gives pop-up definitions with audio. You just hold the mouse over the word to get the definition and then press F is you want to hear the word. I've been told that the voices are from Jpod101. I don't know if it's better than perapera though since I've never tried that one.

Brun Ugle, I tried downloading rikaisama before, but (1) I don't think I installed it well, and (2) I'm not sure where to find the dictionary files. Maybe the software has improved since then. I'll try it again when I have time.

Well, if you like perapera, there's no need to worry about it. I had rikaichan installed before, so I don't think I needed to do anything about the dictionaries when I went over to rikaisama. But I think it does say something about the dictionaries on the site where you can download rikaisama.

1 person has voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4627 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 26 of 706
03 September 2012 at 7:40am | IP Logged 
@Brun Ugle - funny you brought that up. This past weekend Perapera crashed on me and wouldn't work again, so I uninstalled it and went back to rikaichan. Rikaichan is good for my purposes; the clipboard function works as well as the Perapera wordlist.

ZombieKing
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4307 days ago

247 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*

Message 27 of 706
04 September 2012 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
Glad to hear that you've been studying Japanese diligently everyday :) Do you feel like you've progressed at all since you started your first log on here?

Also, it's a shame that perapera stopped working for you. But it seems that Rikaichan works the same way, so I guess it doesn't matter anyways :)

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4627 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 28 of 706
04 September 2012 at 4:31am | IP Logged 
@ZombieKing - That's a good question. I think I have progressed since I started my first log. I had already started this routine about a month before the first log started, and my goal with the log was to motivate me to keep it going, instead of dropping my studies after a few weeks or months like I've done countless times before. Using that criteria, my log has been a rousing success. I've studied nearly every day for the entire summer, and because of that, I've tremendously sped up vocabulary and grammar acquisition. Posts from you and others have helped keep me going, so thank you to all!

I think if I can keep this up, reaching C1 in Japanese by the end of 2013 is not out of the question.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4627 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 29 of 706
04 September 2012 at 4:39am | IP Logged 
I've decided to add some listening cards to my Anki decks. What I mean by listening is this: on the front, I just have the word "Listen...", and Anki plays some audio. I listen and try to comprehend what I just heard. On the back is the phrase, the meaning of any new words, and any other notes.

I'm a little worried about the workload, because I already have recognition and cloze recall cards for most of my notes. Adding listening will mean three cards for each sentence I add. So, if I add 500 sentences with audio, that's 1500 cards. However, while doing some testing today, I noticed that listening to the audio without the words in front of me really challenges my brain. I'm hoping this will help my listening catch up with my reading.

Edited by kujichagulia on 04 September 2012 at 4:40am

ZombieKing
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4307 days ago

247 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*

Message 30 of 706
04 September 2012 at 5:26am | IP Logged 
I'm so so so pleased to hear that using this log has motivated you to study Japanese continually. If you continue putting the effort in that you are now, I'm sure that by the end of 2013, you'll reach your goal of C1.

About having those listening cards. I think that would be a really really good supplement to some good L & R. For instance, if you finish the first phase of L & R (reading English, listening in Japanese), and you move onto reading Japanese and listening in japanese, then you can make listening cards for the sentences which you want to work on. Just a thought, as I've never done that so I don't know if that'd be worth the time :)

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4627 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 31 of 706
02 October 2012 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
I'm still around, even though I haven't updated in about a month. I've still kept up with my studies, although I did miss a few days of my Japanese textbook. I never stopped my Anki reviews, though.

A quick Portuguese update: I made it up to Unit 8 of FSI Portuguese Programmatic. But now I'm thinking this course is not for me. Instead of teaching a verb with some nice conjugation tables, they try to teach you verbs like this: "Let's talk about they-forms (3rd person plural). Here's a verb: pretendem. See, that's a they-form. Oh, here's querem. That two has a they-form ending." Not really helping. I doubt that I could conjugate pretender on the spot at this point, even though it's a regular verb. Of course, I could just look up verb conjugations on Verbix and put those into Anki, but it's nice to have it there in the text.

So now I'm thinking of going back to the older DLI Portuguese Basic Course, as per iguanamon's earlier suggestion. Sure, the language is a bit funny, I have to deal with the old way to spell Portuguese words (spelling changes occured in the 1970s), and the audio is scratchy, but the format might suit me better.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5042 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 32 of 706
02 October 2012 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
Oi, Kuji! É muito bom te ver aqui de novo. The best verb conjugator I've found is Conjuga-me. One of my favorite ways to look up the definition of a word is to use Linguee, where you'll see the word in context and an English translation side by side.

I think you'll be happy with the DLI course. Be sure to supplement it with other sources, such as listening/reading with Café Brasil, Deutsche Welle Aprender de Ouvido and/or NHK World Portuguese news. That way, you'll be familiar with the modern spellings and usages. Do it before you're "ready". Ten minutes ain't goin' to kill you brah. Podcasts won't make much sense to you now, but eventually...

Aprendi muito sobre o Japão com as noticias da NHK Radio. Agora mesmo, sei muito da situação das Ilhas Senkaku.

Edited by iguanamon on 02 October 2012 at 3:36pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 706 messages over 89 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version