1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 354 of 706
04 December 2013 at 2:13am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Maybe it's time for some music again, kuji: =D

Why Portuguese

Expugnator, you've done it again! Thank you very much! That is an awesome site. And I love Elis Regina and Seu Jorge. I have to agree with the writer: a lot of great music is coming from the Lusophone world.
1 person has voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4634 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 355 of 706
05 December 2013 at 2:06am | IP Logged 
This is probably something for the You know you're a language nerd when... thread, but I'll post it here for now. Yesterday, while looking at my Walkman, I stumbled across a collection of Spanish travel phrase recordings I made back in October in preparation for my trip to Spain later this month. I completely forgot I made those!

There was one day in October when all the kids were off on a school trip, and I was in the school office alone with lots of free time! So I pulled up a bunch of websites with Spanish travel phrases, such as Wikitravel and this page. I hit "record" on my Walkman, and for any useful phrase I saw, I recorded myself saying it in English once, then in Spanish twice. I didn't really attempt to organize it. I just recorded what I saw, when I saw it, when I had time.

I even came across a page at Fodors that had audio files, so instead of myself speaking the Spanish, I just recorded the audio straight from the computer speakers. It's a lot better listening to that than to my broken Spanish, I tell you! :)

Anyway, I thought I'd just share how I'm going insane. Can you believe that? Doing something like that and completely forgetting about it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4634 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 356 of 706
12 December 2013 at 4:57am | IP Logged 
YEAR IN REVIEW (2013)

I guess I'll go ahead and post this, even though there are still three weeks or so left in the year. I have a trip to Europe to get to on the 27th.

JAPANESE
My goal for TAC 2013 in Japanese was to get to B2 level. I doubt that I'm even close to that yet. Have I improved? Definitely. I noticed an improvement in my listening and speaking skills when speaking with native Japanese speakers here in Osaka. I understand more of the news and more of dramas and other TV shows. I can write more and faster. But B2? Hmmm... well, let me refer to the CEFRL Self-Assessment Checklist for some clarity.

Listening
According to the checklist, I can listen well if the content is something I'm interested in, but otherwise I'm poor. I sometimes understand documentaries and talk shows, interviews, etc. I'm terrible at understanding conversations in noisy environments.

Reading
I can understand the subject of texts I'm interested in. I can usually understand the main plot of a book. I have a hard time understanding texts outside of my own interests.

Speaking
My skills in starting, maintaining, turn-taking in, and ending conversations? About 3.5 out of 5. I can hardly engage in long conversations, however; I become tired after about 5 minutes. It is hard for me to summarize something I just heard. Explaining viewpoints are easy, though, if I use short sentences. If I make mistakes and I'm aware of it, I can usually correct that.

Writing
Still poor at writing kanji, but I have improved greatly. Now I can probably write between 300-400 kanji by memory. I can write what I want within the limits of my vocabulary/grammar knowledge and kanji knowledge.

So, I guess this means that I am very close to B2 in writing, and maybe B1.5 in the other categories.

I'm still confused.

Anyway.... the point is that I didn't reach my goal of B2, but I improved markedly. I think I'm on the right track. Probably another year of TAC would be enough to get me to B2 in Japanese.

PORTUGUESE
My TAC 2013 goal was to go from scratch to A1 or even A2.

I'm not going to go into detail about the CEFRL checklist here (too tired from writing all that stuff in the Japanese section of this post!). But I am definitely A1 now and very, very close to A2. Grammar-wise, I seem to be at A2 level, but I have some big gaps in my vocabulary knowledge that I need to work on.

So, with that in mind, I'd say that TAC 2013 has been a rousing success for my Portuguese!
2 persons have voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5769 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 357 of 706
12 December 2013 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
I think it's quite difficult to self evaluate CEFR for Japanese compared to a major European
language. For the European language you've got loads of CEFR graded learning materials and
you can even get official evaluation in the form of an exam. While I think that JLPT N2 is
maybe trying to be broadly commensurate with B2, it actually gives no indication to how your
active skills are. Anyway, whether you've hit the competencies for B2 or not, you've made
huge progress in Japanese this year. As far as I'm concerned it's a success story.
4 persons have voted this message useful

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4971 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 358 of 706
12 December 2013 at 9:46am | IP Logged 
I'm of the opinion that if you studied consistently throughout the year then well done. So many people get
distracted and don't really make any progress as a result. Nice job.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5049 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 359 of 706
12 December 2013 at 1:28pm | IP Logged 
Parabéns, kuji! Você melhorou seu português e japonês também. Pode ter muito orgulho nisso. Você vai melhorar ainda mais no ano novo! Bansai!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 360 of 706
12 December 2013 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations on your great progress this year, kuji! I sense that you are going to
have an epiphany on Japanese somewhere next year! You'll realize that you are
understanding much better than before, thanks to your consistency. That happened to me,
as much as knowledge is cumulative, it isn't linear, and sometimes we just reach a point
at which lots of once unknown stuff start to make sense at once, it's like we had pulled
the trigger of comprehension. And I believe the way you've been working on your Japanese
accounts for this to happen.

As for Portuguese, I can't wait to see you reading some short stories!

Do you plan on joining Team Iberia next year, if I may ask?

This discussion contains 706 messages over 89 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version