Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
706 messages over 89 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 52 ... 88 89 Next >>
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5047 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 409 of 706
23 January 2014 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
Obrigado, expugnator. I don't use it anymore either. A few years ago,I made several friends there. I do think it's time for our man in Japan to start speaking. Try Interpals for a possible language exchange partner.
I know the last thing you want to do when you get home is teach more English, but it's a good way to get in some practice for yourself for free.
2 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4632 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 410 of 706
24 January 2014 at 2:16am | IP Logged 
Thanks guys. Yeah, there are jerks everywhere, but I expected that. I will be ready when I have an opportunity to speak to someone who is willing to speak back in Portuguese. :)

I've been putting off speaking for the longest time. Voice chats would be ideal, but I'm never in a situation where I am alone with a computer for more than a few minutes. But I could, of course, do things like real-time text chat, penpals, etc. - something to get the "output juices" flowing. InterPals seems nice for that kind of thing. I'll look into it.
1 person has voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4632 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 411 of 706
24 January 2014 at 2:19am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Do you work on any active translation drills (i.e. into target language)? I've started to
realize they are important for me to activate my skills, even after months focusing only
on input. I tend to do them at an A1->A2 level but when I get to an intermediate level I
forget about them.

I don't work on any active translation drills. I do feel a need to do something active like that, but to be honest, I have no idea where to begin.   Do I just take what I read in English and translate them?

Oh, and what is VK? (I probably know it, but don't know it as VK.)

Edited by kujichagulia on 24 January 2014 at 2:20am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6382 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 412 of 706
24 January 2014 at 2:51am | IP Logged 
Nah, it's the Russian site vk.com that tries to be as successful as facebook (and in Russia it is). So if you don't want to register on facebook, you can use VK to meet native speakers:)

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4632 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 413 of 706
24 January 2014 at 6:33am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Nah, it's the Russian site vk.com that tries to be as successful as facebook (and in Russia it is). So if you don't want to register on facebook, you can use VK to meet native speakers:)

I see. Thank you!

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4632 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 414 of 706
24 January 2014 at 6:50am | IP Logged 
MY TRIP TO SPAIN
I know some of you are just dying to know how my trip went, so here it is.

I spent one night in London and five nights in Spain in December/January. After London, we flew into Barcelona on the 28th. My wife disliked Barcelona almost from the beginning. She likes old, historical-looking, stereotypically European-style buildings. She could walk around London all day, and she enjoyed Italy and Paris as well. But she didn't like Gaudi's works, and the rest of Barcelona seemed bland. Barcelona does have an old city, which she found somewhat charming, but overall she was disappointed.

I didn't think Barcelona was as bad as she thought; I found it interesting. But by the end of our two nights there, she was talking about never coming back to Spain again. Panicked, I said, "But what about Portugal?" Because I have a huge interest in that place. She said, "If I'm not coming back to Spain, I'm not going to Portugal." I don't know why she sees the two countries as a sort of package deal. But at that time it seemed that, unless I found a way to go by myself, I wasn't going to be able to visit Portugal at all.

That all changed when we took the train to Madrid on the 30th. We both agree that Madrid was better than Barcelona. It is simply a fantastic city. It has the older buildings that my wife loves so much. The restaurants and tapas bars are fantastic, and there's something nice about the atmosphere. The charming historic towns of Segovia and Toledo are only a short distance away, and we went to both.

After spending time there, my wife cannot wait to make a second trip to Madrid. Jumping on the opportunity, I managed to show her some pictures of Lisbon and its historical sites and old buildings, and now she wants to go to Portugal, too! Perhaps Madrid with a "side trip" to Lisbon.

Concerning language, I was surprised at how much my Portuguese helped me read and understand Spanish. It wasn't a lot, but it turned out to be helpful when we were shopping at the supermarket and looking at food (sometimes the packages even had Portuguese written on them), menus, buying metro tickets, etc. For some reason, I was able to recall some Spanish words I learned in high school: numbers, how to order, asking where things are at the store, how to get to the metro station, etc. I wonder if my Portuguese studies, combined with being in Spain, had something to do with recalling those Spanish words.

My wife saw how that helped us, and now she doesn't think that my studying Portuguese before I'm fluent in Japanese is such a dumb idea. She even said, "Why aren't you studying Spanish instead of Portuguese?"

Anyway, fantastic trip.
4 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4075 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 415 of 706
24 January 2014 at 7:12am | IP Logged 
It is probably better to visit now, Spain and Portugal. The last times that I went to
Madrid and Barcelona were several years ago, during the June summer hell. Temperatures
hovered around 36 C, and I think that I almost passed out everyday whilst there, and
walking was difficult to the extreme heat. I remember that it was so bad that I purchased
a parasol to shield myself from the sun.

How about learning both Spanish and Portuguese concurrently? I have heard about avoiding
very similar languages simultaneously, but I think that if done intelligently, it might
actually help from each other. The structures are not always similar, but many times are,
and can be learnt simultaneously.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 24 January 2014 at 7:17am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6382 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 416 of 706
24 January 2014 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
I agree, especially when you focus on the passive skills it's no big deal. In Kuji's case there's just that little tame beast called Japanese :-)

This discussion contains 706 messages over 89 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version