1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 425 of 706
29 January 2014 at 2:04am | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Consistency Thread.

Marshall Brickman wrote:
I have learned one thing. As Woody (Allen) says, ‘Showing up is 80 percent of life.’

"Showing up" is consistency. This applies to language learning as well.

Excellent. Thank you. Yeah, I haven't been showing up lately. I've just been sending a message to be read to the audience in my absence, if you will. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4628 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 426 of 706
29 January 2014 at 2:25am | IP Logged 
MY DAILY STUDY PLAN

Since it is the beginning of the year and the beginning of the TAC campaign, I thought it would be a good idea to post my daily routine - and see how much it changes throughout the year. :)

Morning Commute
This is "Portuguese time." I have a roughly 45-minute train commute in the morning. I'm using this rotation system, basically in this order:
* Do a DLI Portuguese Basic lesson
* Listen to one or two PortuguesePod101.com podcasts
* Read something (an article, bilingual text, etc.)
* Write something (a journal, a dialog, an "island", etc.).
* Repeat the above.
I work on one of the above steps each day during the morning commute until I finish that task, then I move on to the next.
If I am still sleepy by the time I board the train, I may listen to my review playlist or do Anki cards until I wake up enough to study.
NOTE: I also have a 10-minute walk from home to the station, and another 10-minute walk from the station to the school. I wanted to do some listening during those times, but it can be hard to concentrate when I am trying not to be hit by cars or run into people walking around me. What I want is to do intensive listening at that time, but I can't, so maybe extensive or passive listening is the way to go. I'm still working on that.

At Work
During busy time periods, basically just Anki. During school holidays, exams, etc., I have more time to do things like write or read stuff online, maybe even do some GLOSS lessons. Sometimes I write and post stuff onto Lang-8.

Afternoon Commute
A little longer than the morning commute - 50 minutes. This is "Japanese time". I follow this rotation:
* Read something.
* Write something.
* Listen to an Intermediate lesson or an Advanced Audio Blog from JapanesePod101.com.
Simple, huh?
The situation with the walks to/from the station is the same as that in the morning with Portuguese.
NOTE: Lately I've been dead tired/sleepy after work, so I've been doing "easy" stuff like listening reviews or Anki reviews, or just listening to music in any language. Also, sometimes my students who are also riding the train will talk to me, so I may not get in any study for 30 minutes or so. (Although they speak to me in Japanese, so that is probably better for me than study - although not so good for their English skills.)

At Home
Some days, I only have time for watching TV, or doing some Anki reviews. Other days, I have a little more time, so I can work on Japanese textbook exercises, or hop onto the computer (if it is free) and read some articles or stories online. Japanese takes priority, but if I have extra time, I add in some Portuguese as well.

Weekends
See At Home above.

Any suggestions would be most welcome! But overall, I find that this system generally works for me.

NOTE: I'm kind of getting tired of the (Language)Pod101.com podcasts. I may drop them from my routine in the future, although I worry about where to get other listening resources (for free).

Edited by kujichagulia on 29 January 2014 at 2:31am

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 427 of 706
29 January 2014 at 5:12am | IP Logged 
Guide on Free Language Podcasts

There are a lot of free Japanese podcasts on iTunes, and iTunes is free to DL (I know,
I'm surprised Apple doesn't charge people to DL their software).

Edited by The Real CZ on 29 January 2014 at 5:13am

2 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4628 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 428 of 706
29 January 2014 at 7:39am | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
Guide on Free Language Podcasts

There are a lot of free Japanese podcasts on iTunes, and iTunes is free to DL (I know,
I'm surprised Apple doesn't charge people to DL their software).

Thanks for the link, CZ. I have iTunes on my computer because my wife has an iPod. I've used it to find podcasts in the past, including a Japanese news podcast from KBS in Korea which I'm currently subscribed to. I listen to those passively. But that's native material, and the (Language)Pod101.com podcasts were more like being spoonfed, I guess. I suppose it's time to just go "all native" and figure out a way to use native podcasts for more intensive study.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 429 of 706
29 January 2014 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
I like your plan, kuji, it's quite consistent. I see that you lack that 'quality time'
for intensive, core activities such as textbook study, but maybe that isn't essential
anymore at your current levels for both Portuguese and Japanese.

I'd try to always have something in mind for the 'At home' time, and rotate. Preferably
media. For example, you could prepare a sheet of activities you'd like to do in case
you had free time for your studies. Then you'd proceed by rotating. Like this:

- Read 10 pages in Portuguese
- Watch a series extensively in Japanese, 10 minutes
- Watch news in Portuguese, 10 minutes
- Listen to a song then try to understand its lyrics (alternating Portuguese and
Japanese)

You could increment with the active exercises such as the islands and other. Don't use
it for SRS, SRS is already there at your break times. You need to be prepared to use
this extra 'quality time' for 'quality learning'.

I'm totally for a rotation system like the one you already do, so I agree with that. I
also agree that walk time isn't that much suitable, though.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4628 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 430 of 706
30 January 2014 at 4:44am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
I'd try to always have something in mind for the 'At home' time, and rotate. Preferably
media. For example, you could prepare a sheet of activities you'd like to do in case
you had free time for your studies. Then you'd proceed by rotating. Like this:

- Read 10 pages in Portuguese
- Watch a series extensively in Japanese, 10 minutes
- Watch news in Portuguese, 10 minutes
- Listen to a song then try to understand its lyrics (alternating Portuguese and
Japanese)

You could increment with the active exercises such as the islands and other. Don't use
it for SRS, SRS is already there at your break times. You need to be prepared to use
this extra 'quality time' for 'quality learning'.

Excellent ideas, Expugnator. Thank you very much.

I do watch a series in Japanese every week - actually two series, both on Sunday nights. One is called Chibi Maruko-chan and the other is Sazae-san - both very famous family-oriented anime. I don't really count it as study, though. That is more like "family time". I watch it with my wife and my rabbit.

They are both really enjoyable anime. They are more of my type of anime - based on real life and not on fantasies, pocket monsters, superpowers, etc. The problem is - and I've mentioned this before - I never feel like I'm learning anything when watching them. I may come across words I have learned recently (synergy!), but I don't learn anything new from them. If I hear new words, I don't do anything, really, because grabbing a dictionary at that time means I miss a few minutes of the show. So I don't really study with those shows. I just enjoy them.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4628 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 431 of 706
30 January 2014 at 5:26am | IP Logged 
USING NATIVE MATERIALS

I read on Expugnator's log that he generally doesn't attempt to use native materials until he reaches around A2 level of a language. I've been trying to use native materials, or semi-native materials like the audionovelas at Deutsche Welle, for Portuguese. Things like news, podcasts, etc. A few times, I can go through material and it is not that difficult. But more often than not, I will encounter material that has mountains of unknown vocabulary and grammar. Going through material like that is boring, frustrating and demotivating - even if the subject is something I'm very interested in, like sports and travel.

Because of that, and because of what I read on Expug's log, I'm wondering if it is okay to just "hammer" my Portuguese textbook and other learning materials like GLOSS until I reach, say, A2 or B1, then delve into native materials. Or, if I should do some sort of compromise. If native material is too difficult for me, toss it right away with no hesitation. If something is "easy", keep at it. That compromise might be good as well.

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4553 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 432 of 706
30 January 2014 at 5:34am | IP Logged 
While looking up every unfamiliar word in a dictionary is impractical if pausing the show isn't an option, but perhaps you could try writing it down to look up later. There is a risk of mishearing and writing it down inaccurately - I've just been desperately trying to find out what either きおきっぴょ(う) or きをきっぴょ(う) meant after hearing it in a show. Then I recalled that I had heard it in a song previously, looked up the lyrics, and it turned out to be 清き一票を (きよきいっぴょうを). Still, you can get an approximate idea of what to look for and then just ask around for what it could be.

Another option is to watch with subtitles, or look them up afterwards and check for unfamiliar words. Kitsunekko is the prime online source for those, and they seem to have the subs for the most recent episodes of your two shows as well (though I don't know how soon after the broadcast they appear on the site - for some shows it's almost immediately, for others it's after a couple of days). And if you ever need recommendations of other shows based on real life, don't hesitate to ask me. I also prefer that kind of shows, although these days I'll watch just about anything that isn't asinine or offensive.

Edited by vonPeterhof on 30 January 2014 at 5:35am

This discussion contains 706 messages over 89 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version