Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4531 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 441 of 706
31 January 2014 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
Yes, if you have any recommendations for any shows like that, vonPeterhof, please let me know!
Sorry for the delayed response. I suppose the closest things to what you're interested in that are airing right now are 団地ともお and 銀の匙 Silver Spoon 2. The former is about the daily life of an elementary school student in a 団地 neighbourhood. It appears to be mostly aimed at kids of a similar age, but it does have both humorous and touching moments adults can also appreciate. While it airs with closed captions, unfortunately kitsunekko doesn't have the subs for it. It's probably because there seems to be next to no interest in this show outside Japan and Taiwan - it doesn't look like anyone licensed it, and the only fansubs I've noticed on the web were in Traditional Chinese.

Silver Spoon is aimed at a slightly older audience, being based on a shonen manga. It's about a city kid trying to fit in at an agricultural high school in rural Hokkaido. The subs appear on kitsunekko immediately after airing, but this series is a bit more plot-driven than 団地ともお, so some things may be hard to follow if you haven't seen the first season. Since it's on my top 10 list of last year's anime, personally I think it's worth catching up on. The Hokkaido dialect that I mentioned in my log shouldn't pose a problem, but all the agriculture-related vocabulary could, especially if you have zero interest in learning it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 442 of 706
31 January 2014 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
kuji, you've come up with a great list of small activities. Well-done!

I have the same issue as you, that of being too dependent on computers. I bet it gets
better when one improves at reading (or at least either gets comfortable with reading
extensively OR gets a built-in dictionary for one's reader). It is safe and wise to
mark those non-computer-dependent activities in bold and keep them in mind for when you
see the opportunity.

I don't think you should drop intensive Japanese study yet, though. You got fed up with
the podcasts, indeed. Is there any other source of shorter lessons you could use, for
when you can't study from your usual textbooks? Long lessons can be discouraging
indeed.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 443 of 706
31 January 2014 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
Japanese is also available at GLOSS btw. though I have no clue if the lessons would be too easy for you or not.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4424 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 444 of 706
31 January 2014 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
I long ago gave up casual radio listening to anything in English in
the car. I listen to TL podcasts, Spanish on the radio, or TL music.

I was going to say that if someone had told me this 20 years ago I'd be an awesome
polyglot now ...

kujichagulia wrote:
When I was a high school student in Hawaii, I used to get away
from home on Saturdays, go to the nearest beach and just walk with music and
headphones. Imagine how good I would be now if I were listening to language tapes
instead. ;)

... and then @kujichagulia beats me to it.

I'm going to pass this pearl of wisdom on to my kids. I know they won't listen, but at
least I'll be able to say "I told you so" years from now :-)

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5741 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 445 of 706
31 January 2014 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
When I was 16 years old my French teacher told me I should start listening to the radio. I didn't listen back then either!

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4606 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 446 of 706
01 February 2014 at 2:04pm | IP Logged 
@vonPeterhof - TV showの おすすめ、ありがとう! I'll be sure to look into those shows and see if they are for me.

@Expugnator - Putting the non-computer-related activities in bold is a good idea! Thank you for that tip. As for the podcasts, I'm not really fed up with intensive Japanese study. I'm fed up with those (Language)Pod101.com podcasts - basically I'm fed up with the Innovative Learning company. Maybe it's better if I actually get a subscription instead of getting their free podcasts, but I really don't want to do that.   Instead of those, I'll probably start using the Japanese GLOSS lessons more often, and maybe seek out some other Japanese-learning podcasts for intermediate students.

@Serpent - Thank you for the GLOSS tip. Actually, doing Japanese GLOSS lessons is a task on my "at home" rotation I wrote above. I haven't done it regularly up to now, but I will make it a point to do so from now on.
1 person has voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4606 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 447 of 706
01 February 2014 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
When I was 16 years old my French teacher told me I should start listening to the radio. I didn't listen back then either!

Hehehe. You remind me of something related to that. I've always been interested in Canada, especially Quebec. Around age 12, I used to take my AM/FM stereo outside at night in Atlanta and seek out Radio-Canada AM stations. I never understood what they said, but it was neat to listen to. And ever since I discovered the Internet in college almost 18 years ago (wow, I'm old), I've occasionally turned on a Radio-Canada stream and other streams such as Radio France. I sometimes watch the French Canadian news channel RDI online, or watch videos at the RDS sports website. It has never compelled me to seriously study French. Maybe one day. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4985 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 448 of 706
01 February 2014 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
g-bod wrote:

[...] It has never compelled me to seriously study French. Maybe one day. :)

Has to vary from one person to another -- but I always complain most of my [co-]students would never read books, watch films, etc., in languages they were studying, despite being advised to do so. Just the opposite of me. Then again, I did because it was a natural extension of my newfound superpowers, not because someone told me so. Ummm...

dampingwire wrote:
iguanamon wrote:
I long ago gave up [...] I listen to TL podcasts, Spanish on the radio, or TL music.

I was going to say that if someone had told me this 20 years ago I'd be an awesome
polyglot now ...

Would you have listened...

Quote:
I'm going to pass this pearl of wisdom on to my kids. I know they won't listen, but at least I'll be able to say "I told you so" years from now :-)

... given how you don't expect your own kids to do it? ;)

If I ever form a family, I'll try to make my children learn as early as possible how important it is to add to one's own process whatever one can learn from what others do -- it just saves so much time. If later on they choose not to, it won't be my fault for not having told them :-)

Edited by mrwarper on 01 February 2014 at 3:03pm

This discussion contains 706 messages over 89 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version