kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4606 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 457 of 706
24 February 2014 at 1:54am | IP Logged 
@Expugnator - I don't have DLI with me right now, but I believe it was published around 1968 or so, so that would explain the outdated social aspect to that dialog I read. The Michael Palin book, however, was published in 2012, but I think your information, Expugnator, helps give a different view to the situation, so I'm happy about that.
1 person has voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4606 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 458 of 706
25 February 2014 at 6:16am | IP Logged 
YAY, A DAILY UPDATE!

Hahaha.

Writing Dialogs
Back in October I committed to a writing challenge. These were my goals:

kujichagulia wrote:
kujichagulia
Write a total of 30 Japanese dialogs/short stories/islands* by March 4th, 2014
Write a total of 15 Portuguese dialogs/short stories/islands* by March 4th, 2014

I'm nowhere near that mark. I wrote a handful of dialogs and islands for each language, but no need to list the number here, because it's not even close.

I think the main reason for this is that I don't dedicate enough time to writing. My language-learning routine is input-heavy: textbooks, stories, articles, podcasts, watching TV, listening to the radio, etc. All of that is certainly important; yet I believe that, short of perhaps meeting with a tutor every week (which I can't really do right now), writing regularly and often will help me think faster in a language and increase my active vocabulary. But I can't really test that hypothesis if I don't give it time. Writing is nice and relaxing, but it takes more time than I realize.

So I've changed up the rotations for both my languages. They go something like this:
- Textbook lesson
- Practice a dialog
- Write a new dialog
- Practice a dialog
- Listen to a podcast or other new audio
- Practice a dialog
- Write a new dialog
- Practice a dialog

As you can see, there is a lot of practice time in there. I want to not only write the dialogs, but internalize them.

Practicing the dialogs doesn't always mean doing them out loud. That is ideal, but I'm almost never by myself in a place where I can talk to myself in a loud voice. So sometimes, doing the conversations in my head or whispering them will have to suffice.

Japanese
I finished the dialogs in Chapter 14 of IAIJ. I went through them, learned the new words and grammar, and listened to all three of them repeatedly. I'll leave the rest of the chapter to a later time. There is so much to do in each chapter of IAIJ that I find it better to break them down into smaller "pieces" to work on, then distribute them throughout my rotation.

I hadn't watched a lot of TV the last two weeks because of the Winter Olympics. Come to think of it, that IS watching a lot of TV. Anyway, I'll go back to my, uh, regularly-scheduled programming, especially on Sundays with Sazae-san and Chibi Maruko-chan.

Portuguese
I'm still working through the "Angola Highway Corruption" article. I do probably one paragraph a day. But I've been falling asleep a lot in the afternoons lately - perhaps due to a cold I have - missing my afternoon Portuguese shifts on the train. So the rate is more like one paragraph every two days. And there are six or seven paragraphs in the article. So it's slow going. But I'm not too concerned about that. There are still so many unknown words in each paragraph that going slow is probably the best thing for me right now.

And I'm proud of myself for not adding all new words from the article into Anki, like I used to. Lately, unless a word or phrase makes me go, "WOW! I would sound so cool saying this in Japanese/Portuguese," I don't add every unknown term I read into Anki anymore. I make an exception for textbook dialogs, my own corrected writings, and some stories, but other than that, it has to be something WOW for me to add it. I find that it makes the whole Anki "experience" a lot better.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 459 of 706
25 February 2014 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
it has to be something WOW for me to add it. I find that it makes the whole Anki "experience" a lot better.
This this this this this. For me "awwwww" or "OMG" are also acceptable :)

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 460 of 706
25 February 2014 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
I'm curious to how your attempt to write more will come along, kuji. Now I admit I
didn't suceed in incorporating the dialog writing into my routine. On the other hand, I
don't really feel the need to pursue active skills, living in a monolingual South
American country. Whenever I actually need to come up with a few sentences, I usually
manage to remember what is common. Besides, it's hard to have online
conversations/chats that go beyond the A2 vocabulary. That is to say, with only the A2
vocabulary I can already say almost everything I need in an online context. So, I get
this weird feeling that when I try this I'm only just repeating basic vocabulary
instead of learning new words I'm going to need for better reading and listening of
authentic native materials.

I know this sounds like a set of excuses, but it's rather a trade-off. My own
experience says that, provided that I've reached the A2 level before, if there is
actual demand I can focus on activating my knowledge a few weeks before the trip or
whatever. I have the feeling that once you know the basic structures it's all a matter
of acquiring the fillers, the new vocabulary. Think about islands: I have the feeling I
have enough islands for French, Papiamento and maybe even Georgian (for text-chatting,
not talking); I still need to build the most important islands for Russian and Chinese,
though.

Anyway, this sounds like spoiling. I'll have to write the same when the challenge is
over. There's a lot to reflect upon activating languages, as I haven't done it so
often.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4606 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 461 of 706
26 February 2014 at 1:44am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
This this this this this. For me "awwwww" or "OMG" are also acceptable :)

awwwwww, Serpent, thanks for replying! I think I'm coming around (slowly) to your way of thinking. That might be scary, though. ;)

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4606 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 462 of 706
26 February 2014 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
I'm curious to how your attempt to write more will come along, kuji. Now I admit I
didn't suceed in incorporating the dialog writing into my routine. On the other hand, I
don't really feel the need to pursue active skills, living in a monolingual South
American country. Whenever I actually need to come up with a few sentences, I usually
manage to remember what is common...
So, I get
this weird feeling that when I try this I'm only just repeating basic vocabulary
instead of learning new words I'm going to need for better reading and listening of
authentic native materials.

I understand, and I've thought about that, too. Whenever I go through a period of writing, I find myself writing the same words over and over, and I wonder if I am learning anything new. But I tell myself that repeating words I already know will help the words ingrain themselves into my mind, and I could use them quickly in conversations. I have no idea, though, if this is true.

And yes, it does get boring writing the same type of situations over and over - that is usually why I end up not writing for long periods of time. In fact, as I write this, I wonder if I have set my rotation up to fail, with so many periods of writing and practicing and reviewing. But I wonder if there is a nice balance somewhere between not writing at all and writing too much. I'll be looking for that.

Expugnator wrote:
My own
experience says that, provided that I've reached the A2 level before, if there is
actual demand I can focus on activating my knowledge a few weeks before the trip or
whatever. I have the feeling that once you know the basic structures it's all a matter
of acquiring the fillers, the new vocabulary. Think about islands: I have the feeling I
have enough islands for French, Papiamento and maybe even Georgian (for text-chatting,
not talking); I still need to build the most important islands for Russian and Chinese,
though.

I haven't had such experiences yet, but this seems to make a lot of sense. Islands probably have a shelf life; at a certain point a person becomes so advanced that they don't need them anymore. So at that point, one probably doesn't need to do that kind of writing. They just need to get more and more vocabulary, more exposure to native materials, etc.

As for me, I'm finding that I'm not even close to that point, not even in Japanese. I now know a ton of words and structures that I didn't know two years ago... but passively. I'm just so slow to recall words and phrases other than ones that a) are in my short-term memory because I've just studied them, or b) I learned years ago and use often. So I'm hoping the writing - the extra active practice - will help move my active Japanese from beginner to intermediate, and to help me speed up my speaking somewhat.

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4531 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 463 of 706
26 February 2014 at 5:32am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
...living in a monolingual South
American country...
While I do realize that the indigenous languages have next to no relevance to the lives of an overwhelming majority of Brazilians, something about referring to Brazil as a monolingual country really rubs me the wrong way...

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 464 of 706
26 February 2014 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
Yes, my bad. I just don't fancy using a native Amerindian language for any official or
travelling purposes. If I were into linguistics I'd gladly delve into some native
languages, some of these even got interesting resources published.

This discussion contains 706 messages over 89 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version