Japan
Joined 4627 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 673 of 706
10 April 2015 at 5:41am | IP Logged 
kraemder wrote:

A new job is always stressful until you get used to it. It sounds like a good transfer though.

I hope it's a good one. I've done only one class so far, but the students definitely have a higher ability of English. And I'm definitely encouraged not to use any Japanese in class, for the students' sake - which is sad for me. :)

I'm also busier at this school, so it's unlikely that I'll have any time to spare for any personal language-learning activities until summer/winter holidays.

Serpent wrote:

Congratulations!
A new job also means new people who've never seen you as a beginner :) And a new school library :)
Don't worry about producing a good impression with your Japanese. The best impression you can make is that you're willing to speak it no matter what, even if you make mistakes and have to use circumlocutions etc. And perfectionism may backfire. It's good that they've not seen your worst level ever, but the sooner they see your current worst (which can't be as bad as you think), the better :) Otherwise you may end up getting anxious over being exposed as a fraud etc.

How does this affect your commutes?

First, about the library, I haven't met the librarian yet. Hopefully he/she is as nice as the one back at my old school. :)

And it's funny you bring up my using Japanese. I've been trying to use Japanese with whomever I have a chance to, and I'm sure I make a lot of mistakes, but the teachers here seem somewhat amazed that I can speak Japanese, because they tell me that it's so good. I think they're just trying to be nice since I'm a new teacher, but I prefer to think that I've gotten a lot better since I began working at my old school. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4627 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 674 of 706
10 April 2015 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
Oops, Serpent, I didn't talk about my commute. My commute has been cut in half, or more than half in the morning. Instead of 40 minutes on the train both ways, I ride the train only 15 minutes in the morning and 25 minutes in the afternoon. So I can't place that much importance on studying during commutes anymore. The morning train is quite packed, so I can't really do anything on my iPad. I'm probably going to limit what I do in the morning to activities involving audio/listening.
1 person has voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4412 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 675 of 706
19 May 2015 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
Hey Kuji!

How have you adapted to your new commute and school? Do you like it there? How's the study coming along too? :)

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4627 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 676 of 706
30 June 2015 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
yuhakko wrote:
Hey Kuji!

How have you adapted to your new commute and school? Do you like it there? How's the study coming along
too? :)

Hey yuhakko! Sorry for the late reply! As you can imagine, it took me a while to adapt to my new situation.
Adjusting to the new school was tougher than I thought, but what suffered the most was my language study. I
know it will sound like a bunch of excuses, but anyway here goes...

The biggest reason why my language learning got off track was because of the change in my daily commute.
Before, it took 40 minutes on the train each way to and from work. That time became the foundation for my
language studies. Compared to studying at home, where I get easily distracted, on the train I was somewhat
free from distractions, and I could get studying done. And those 80 minutes were enough to (slowly) build my
Japanese and Portuguese skills each day.

Now I have a 15-minute ride in the morning and a 20-minute ride in the afternoon. Moreover, I can still study
like before in the afternoon, but in the morning I have to take an extremely crowded and uncomfortable train.
I feel like a sardine in a can every morning - not exactly great conditions to pull out my iPad and read. Any
studying on the morning commute is now limited to audio, and right now I'm filling that time with native
podcasts and listening reviews.

So that is what I'm doing now, but before I was quite tired during my commutes because all of the changes
related to my job were mentally taxing, and I couldn't bring myself to do any studying most days. It wasn't
until the middle of June that I started studying on the train again with any consistency.

Of course, now that my train time has been cut by more than half, there is more of a need for me to do more
consistent study at home, and I need more self-discipline for that. I want to study for a certain time period
each day, but I haven't reached that point yet. That is my next step.

Anyway, to answer your original question, I do like teaching at the school, and the students are great,
although it is hard to work with some of the other teachers there.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4946 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 677 of 706
30 June 2015 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
Changes do take our mental energy in the beginning, kuji, that's normal. Luckily you set yourself back into the mood for studying. At your stage, I'm sure only those minutes of audio will do something. I wrote a few times at my log how I find 'unfocused' listening important for getting used to native speed, noise etc. I sometimes noticed my comprehension increased when I just listened to the audio on the background a few days, alternating it with paying full attention at the audio and video.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4627 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 678 of 706
02 July 2015 at 5:47am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Changes do take our mental energy in the beginning, kuji, that's normal. Luckily you set yourself back into the mood for studying. At your stage, I'm sure only those minutes of audio will do something. I wrote a few times at my log how I find 'unfocused' listening important for getting used to native speed, noise etc. I sometimes noticed my comprehension increased when I just listened to the audio on the background a few days, alternating it with paying full attention at the audio and video.

Hey Expug! Good to hear from you again. Yes, I'm noticing that, too. The past week or two, I've been listening to some native Japanese podcasts in the morning. To be honest, while I can often get the gist of what they are talking about, I certainly don't understand a lot, and it can sometimes feel like an exercise in futility. But I've noticed a small increase in my listening comprehension the past few days. Perhaps just listening to Japanese a little more has made my ears more attentive to the words I hear around me.

I think one of my biggest problems with Japanese is being able to comprehend what I hear at natural speed. Sometimes I just don't know words, but sometimes I miss words that I do know because I didn't "hear" them. I suppose that is going to come only with practice, so the more listening I can do, the better.

It's funny... I often have Japanese TV on at home, I hear Japanese spoken at work and around Osaka... and yet I get a listening boost after listening to native podcasts during my commute. That I don't understand. When the podcasts are playing in my headphones, I'm usually doing nothing else except looking out the train window or walking, whereas when the TV's on at home or when I'm at work, etc., I'm usually busy doing something else. That might have something to do with it.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4627 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 679 of 706
02 July 2015 at 6:06am | IP Logged 
Interesting... I just read a post in Expugnator's log (post #217 and, to be fair, Iguanamon's translation in #218) about how when we try to set goals for ourselves, we tend to concentrate on the future and neglect the Now. It makes me think about a struggle I have when learning languages, or doing anything that requires effort and patience.

I like the idea of achieving without goals. It seems to be a stress-free way to go about things, and I can enjoy more what I'm doing right now, instead of deeming what I'm doing at the moment insignificant because I haven't yet reached a goal. So sometimes I think about just throwing away any goals I've written down and just do something in Japanese and Portuguese.

But for me, that approach can also lead to laziness. I notice that if I don't set any goals for myself, I'm more prone to not working as hard on something, or more prone to taking breaks from doing something, and more prone to procrastination. If I set a deadline, or a daily or weekly goal, and keep track of what I'm doing, I can see where I've slacked off and make the necessary adjustments. But the flip side is that it is stressful, and it makes the task seem more like work.

Once I find a happy medium or a workable balance between the two extremes, I think my language learning will go very far.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 680 of 706
02 July 2015 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
I tend to think that laziness doesn't exist. It's simply a negative view of what's a very natural response to a lack of motivation and a perceived (immediate) uselessness of the task.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 706 messages over 89 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version