United States
Joined 6739 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 25 of 29
24 August 2012 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
Michel1020 wrote:
To me to hand-write non latin script is more an artistic activity than a language learning one.

... but you defenitively do not learn the language faster because you hand-write.

You have taken the step of generalizing how things work for you, or how you think they work for you, to how they are supposed to work for everyone else. Many of us here eventually learn that it is a pretty dangerous step to take. For example, while I haven't studied this issue systematically in my own case, my accumulated impression is that I remember the words considerably better after I write them down in a notebook, even when I review that notebook only very sporadically, if ever. And remembering the words better means learning the language faster.

I will allow myself a story that is not language-related. A couple of years ago my wife taught an undergraduate course in Planetary Science, and as an experiment she made all the students in her class buy lab notebooks, which have a carbon copy of each page you write on. She then required that they take all their class notes in that notebook and do all their homework assignments in it. This produced quite a bit of consternation in the beginning. At the end of the semester several students told her that they were surprised at how much difference it had made to their learning process to have to write everything by hand. Are you going to tell those students that they were merely indulging in an "artistic activity" that couldn't possibly have had any effect on their learning? Apparently, some of them didn't feel that way.

I am pretty sure writing makes a difference in my case. I don't, however, assume that it has to have the same effect on everyone, all I can say is that it may make a difference, but surely no one can make a general statement that it simply doesn't matter.

Edited by frenkeld on 24 August 2012 at 2:03pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4813 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 26 of 29
24 August 2012 at 8:31am | IP Logged 
I think it is a matter of speed and I think if you type-write as slow as you hand-write the learning would be close to the same in both cases.
1 person has voted this message useful

freakyaye
Australia
Joined 4634 days ago

107 posts - 152 votes 

Message 27 of 29
24 August 2012 at 8:53am | IP Logged 
schoenewaelder wrote:
freakyaye wrote:
Gonna hit advanced financial accounting like a mac truck :-)

Is that a franco-scottish wotsit ?

Actually I'm not sure, I stole that from a Canadian friend of mine.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6235 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 28 of 29
24 August 2012 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
Michel1020 wrote:
I think it is a matter of speed and I think if you type-write as slow as you hand-write the learning would be close to the same in both cases.

You could just look at the link I posted earlier in this thread, and read the relevant research papers. Or you could keep insisting that reality matches your preconceptions.
3 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4329 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 29 of 29
24 August 2012 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
Michel1020 wrote:

You could just look at the link I posted earlier in this thread, and read the relevant research papers. Or you could keep insisting that reality matches your preconceptions.

I have studied memory and I can't think of a good reason how motor learning would somehow feedback into the language areas of the brain. Could you post some relevant research? The link you gave links to lots of research, much of it not apparently relevant.

My guess is, like others, that handwriting somehow slows you down enough to think about the material in question, which might be a good strategy for some, but doesn't imply that handwriting per se is that useful.

Anyway I am open to assessing the argument. If you could post some links to relevant papers that would be great.

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version