Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
Paul_R
United States
Joined 4569 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes

Message 1 of 7
22 August 2012 at 6:02am | IP Logged 
Friends,

Moses McCormick (laoshu505000 on YouTube) sells a series of Foreign Language Roadrunning
DVDs for various languages. At the moment, I'm particularly interested in the Korean. Have
any of you used any of his FLR DVDs? Thoughts?

http://roadrunninglanguagecamp.com/

Paul

Edited by Paul_R on 22 August 2012 at 6:03am

1 person has voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4820 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 7
22 August 2012 at 9:13am | IP Logged 
There is a long thread about this a few lines down from this one (sorry, I tried to
post a link but couldn't).

Liddytime, a longtime member here, has tried it and posted his conclusions at the end
of that thread. I believe that there is no information in the dvds that cant be found
for free in his youtube videos.

If you read that other thread, which I started a long time ago, you will see that I am
very enthusiastic about this course. Well, I was quite new to language learning then,
and enthralled by moses's videos. Having gained experience in learning a language,
there is no way that I would now pay for that course. I mean no disrespect to moses, he
seems like a great guy, but I think you are better served by digesting the information
contained in some of the better threads on this forum, and applying that knowledge to
how you learn a language. Perhaps implement some of the ideas you find on his youtube
chanel, but it seems like the FLR course will just give you a few ideas for getting to
a very basic level, which you can do on your own.
3 persons have voted this message useful

danyal
Groupie
United States
Joined 5039 days ago

43 posts - 50 votes
Studies: German, Italian

Message 3 of 7
23 August 2012 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
If you already brought the FLR DVD's then you can get your money back   

I personally stand behind my methods and products 100%. I have learned nearly 50 languages using the techniques that these courses are built around. If you have not made dramatic progress in your target language after 90 days of following my program, I will refund your money with no questions asked.

Best,

Moses

Edited by danyal on 23 August 2012 at 10:18pm

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6027 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 4 of 7
23 August 2012 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
Yeah,
For the record, Moses did refund the DVD cost to me immediately, no questions asked. If you are new to language learning and need a lot of hand holding the DVDs might be great for you. If you can do the grunt-work on your own you can do it yourself for free though!

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4642 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 5 of 7
24 August 2012 at 12:26am | IP Logged 
If he had said "I have learned nearly 50 languages up to A1 and some of them higher", then it would have been correct.
Moses is a great guy, but he definitely doesn't speak most of his languages on an advanced level.

Edited by Josquin on 24 August 2012 at 12:34am

6 persons have voted this message useful

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6244 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 6 of 7
24 August 2012 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
Sort of wondering why my post was deleted but Josquin's was left alone. I love random
moderation. Bleh.

Kugel
United States
Joined 6336 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 

Message 7 of 7
24 August 2012 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
After browsing the FLR website, I would be interested in simply seeing how an ordinary guy majored in Chinese ( I assume that he got his BA) from a flagship university, OSU, by using the FLR method. This sort of accomplishment is unheard of.

There's also the fact that OSU is ranked 13th in the nation for Linguistics according to the NRC, outranking Ivy league schools that charge over 50K/year. If an 80 dollar DVD set can set a student up for tackling one the world's best linguistics programs, then I must order me a copy.

Source

Edited by Kugel on 24 August 2012 at 4:23pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version