Germany
Joined 4626 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 25 of 32
27 August 2012 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
outcast wrote:
In other words, from his examples it appears that base verbs (without prefixes) generally are not ditransitive and only accept accusatives.

Does this process work with inseparable prefixes too (i.e zahlen/bezahlen, brechen/zerbrechen)

Uh, this is a tough question as my knowledge of German grammar is rather intuitive. I have never formally studied the linguistics of German. I think one cannot say that all verbs without prefixes only take one object. "Geben" comes to my mind: "Ich gebe dir etwas." Then there's the synonymous "reichen": "Ich reiche es dir". "Zeigen": "Er zeigte mir die Stadt."

"Zahlen" and "bezahlen" don't conform to this rule either. "Er hat mir das Geld gezahlt" has both dative and accusative. "Bezahlen" however only takes the accusative: "Er hat die Rechnung bezahlt." "Brechen" and "zerbrechen" don't take any dative objects at all. You can't break something to somebody.

Often prefixes make an intransitive verb transitive: "lügen" vs. "belügen". Or they indicate a different lexical aspect (Aktionsart). How this affects the valency of the verbs is a question I leave for others to answer.

Edited by Josquin on 28 August 2012 at 12:05am

1 person has voted this message useful

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4731 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 26 of 32
28 August 2012 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
I understand, I didn't mean to say the rule was fast and hard, I know better than that, but I thought that based on your examples it was perhaps a general pattern.

Geben, zeigen, are classic ditransitive verbs in most languages I would dare to say, and extremely common. But "lesen", is not as clear-cut. For example "I am reading a magazine vs I am reading a magazine to her". In English, it is the same verb.

Unless "vorlesen" means that in that case the prefix acts more as a prepositional marker (meaning without being a preposition, it allows increased valency), than a semantic marker (change in meaning), which is possible. But for a non-native, if my statement is even true, it would be difficult to distinguish when a prefix changes meaning vs simply changing valency.

The prefix "be" is easy because it is the classic German prefix to transitivize a verb.

Edited by outcast on 28 August 2012 at 12:13am

Edudg
Pentaglot
Brazil
Joined 4453 days ago

16 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, Italian, English, French, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, Swedish

Message 27 of 32
28 August 2012 at 12:54am | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:

2) Many verbs are dative verbs in continental Portuguese, but are accusative verbs in Brazilian Portuguese, so
they can be used in the passive voice:

Muita gente assistiu ao concerto de Plácido Domingo. (continental Portuguese and old-fashioned Brazilian
Portuguese; assistir a = dative)

Muita gente assistiu o concerto de Plácido Domingo (Brazilian Portuguese; direct object)
O concerto de Plácido Domingo foi assistido por muita gente (Brazilian Portuguese; passive voice of the verb
assistir)

Many people attended the concert of Plácido Domingo.

In Portugal,
Muitos shows foram assistidos (Many shows were attended/seen),
Muitas perguntas foram respondidas (Many questions were answered)
are ungrammatical since,

they can't use assistir and responder with the direct object,

RINGRAZIARE (=to thank) takes a direct object in Italian, but AGRADECER (=to thank) takes an indirect object in
Portuguese; Nonetheless, in spoken Brazilian Portuguese you can hear both ''Agradeço a você'' and ''Agradeço
você'', We may call this it a ''weak dative'' in Brazilian Portuguese.

'A robust dative is the one which is introduced with the preposition PARA (rather than A) in informal speech. With
bitransitive/ditransitive verbs, the dative is alive and kicking:

Mandei uma carta para a professora.
I sent a letter to the (female) teacher.

Abra para mim! = Open it to me!
(here the verb ABRIR is still used bitransitively/ditransitively, but the accusative clitic is zero [it's called ''zero
object''])

The verb AJUDAR (to help) in colloquial Brazilian Portuguese:

Eu te/lhe ajudo (=I help you)   we may call it dative
Eu ajudo ele/ela/eles/elas/você(s) (=I help him/him/them/you) it's nominative accusative

6) In Brazilian Portuguese, with PAGAR (to pay) you can hear
a) dative (A) in formal language: Pagar ao médico (Pay the doctor)
b) accusative (zero) in spoken language: Pagar o médico (Pay the doctor)
c) dative (PARA) in spoken language with bitransitive verbs: Pagar muita grana pro médico (To pay a lot of money
to the doc)

Interesting thread. I'd like to clarify some points in Medulin's post:

Verb " assistir": it is true that in colloquial brazilian portuguese "assistir" is always accusative and that we
can see examples of this even in contemporary literature:

"Trata-se de um filme que eu assistia" (Clarice Lispector em Água Viva)

However, in school you still learn that the verb "assistir" (meaning to watch, to attend, to be present) takes an
indirect object ("assistir ao jogo" ), and you will probably fail your portuguese exam if you write otherwise (in my
school you certainly would).

It takes though a direct object when its meaning is "to help", "to aid", "to assist" : "O médico assistiu o doente"

Most grammarians still find it difficult to fully accept the colloquial use of this verb, like Celso Cunha and Lindley
Cintra (A Nova Gramática do Português Contemporâneo, 2007), for example, that point out that there is a
"tradição gramatical" and a "linguagem coloquial brasileira".

The verb "agradecer" takes a direct object and an indirect object (agradecer algo a alguém) : "Agradeceu-
lhes o favor" (ind.obj. + dir. obj.), "Agradeceu ao professor" (ind. obj.), "Agradeceu as flores" (dir. obj.)

In the colloquial spoken language you may hear: "Agradeceu o professor" and " Agradeceu pelas flores"

Verb "ajudar : "eu lhe ajudo" is completely wrong. Furthermore, I don't recall listening to this construction
in the spoken language very often. I think it is mostly used by uneducated people in the written form because it
"sounds more formal", if that makes any sense.
For the third person "Eu o ajudo" (more common in the written language) or "Eu ajudo ele/ela" (spoken language)
are the correct forms.
For the second person: "Eu ajudo você /Eu te ajudo/Eu ajudo o senhor(a)" .

To discuss the colloquial use of the language we should consider discussing diatopic and diastratic variations, as
Brazil is a huge country with great social inequalities. Even if all of your examples reflect the real language in
some way (some to a greater and some to a lesser extent), I thought that it was relevant to emphasize the correct
use of the language so that it is clear to everyone.

Edited by Edudg on 28 August 2012 at 1:08am

2 persons have voted this message useful

LaughingChimp
Czech Republic
Joined 4481 days ago

346 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: Czech*

Message 28 of 32
28 August 2012 at 8:53am | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Gießt du meine (poss.) Pflanzen (acc.)? (will you water my plants?)

In German, you would use a possessive pronoun instead of a dative object. "Gießt du mir die Pflanzen?" is theoretically possible, but not very idiomatic.

Er hat den Hund (acc.) des Lehrers (gen.) vergiftet (He poisoned the teacher's dog).

In this case, German works like English. You would express possession by using a genitive attribute and not a dative object.

You can use genitive/possesive (I'm sory, I can't figure out any rule when is used which one) in Czech as well, but the meaning is slightly different. Dative is used when the party is the target or in some way interested in the outcome, while posessive/genitive is just about the object.

"otrávil jí psa" implies either that she was hurt by it or that he did it to hurt her.
"otrávil jejího psa" is talking just about the dog with no relation to her.

Thank you pointing this out, because it probably wasn't clear from my desription.

Edited by LaughingChimp on 28 August 2012 at 8:55am

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6485 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 29 of 32
28 August 2012 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
Er hat mir (dat.) den Hund (acc.) des Lehrers (gen.) vergiftet (he has poisoned the teacher's dog to make me happy... maybe it barked)

'for my sake' or 'for my part' can also be expressed with "meinetwegen"

Edit: 's' removed from meinetwegen

Edited by Iversen on 28 August 2012 at 8:34pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4626 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 30 of 32
28 August 2012 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Er hat mir (dat.) den Hund (acc.) des Lehrers (gen.) vergiftet (he has poisoned the teacher's dog to make me happy... maybe it barked)

Okay, this sentence is grammatically correct, but it doesn't make any sense. If you want to express that I benefited from the dog being poisoned, you would rather say: "Er hat den Hund des Lehrers für mich vergiftet."

Iversen wrote:
'for my sake' or 'for my part' can also be expressed with "meinetwegens"

The word is "meinetwegen" -- without 's'.

Edited by Josquin on 28 August 2012 at 2:13pm

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4450 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 31 of 32
29 August 2012 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
In formal Portuguese DATIVE and GENITIVE can mean the same thing:

Ele fugiu-me (dative) ~ Ele fugiu de mim (genitive)
Ele matou-lhe a filha (dative) ~ Ele matou a filha dele (genitive)

Edited by Medulin on 29 August 2012 at 1:10pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4421 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 32 of 32
29 August 2012 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
In Spanish you also have the interesting use of dative with reflexive verbs in constructions like: "Se me (DATIVE) ha roto la pierna" (I have broken a/my leg) or "Se le (DATIVE) han perdido las llaves" (He has lost the/his keys). I believe the underlying idea in this type of sentence is that to break a leg (or lose your keys) is something that happens to a person, not something that person actively does.

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version