Groupie
United States
Joined 5631 days ago

95 posts - 131 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 9 of 16
29 August 2012 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
I actually like the idea of a language coach and wish there were such a thing.

Many of the folks here are old hats at learning languages and if they were to take up a
new language, they already have a pretty good idea of what works and doesn't work for
them.

For people like me that are trying to learn their first language, it is tough to know
what to do. As is often pointed out, everyone is different and learns differently and
while the advice often given is to simply "try different methods", that just seems so
inefficient. I'm not expecting the time taken to learn a language to be short or for
it to be easy, but I would like it to be as efficient as possible.

I would think a good coach should be able to work with me to help figure out how I
learn best and then come up with a course of action for me to learn the language.

As mentioned above, I don't necessarily need a teacher that I would work with multiple
times a weeks for an extended period.

I would think the coach would be someone you may work with a few times early on and
then perhaps once every couple weeks to check on progress, revise plans, etc.

Look at the role a coach plays in sports. I run for exercise and everything I know
about running I got from reading books, etc, but pretty soon I'm going to want to take
my running to the next level and for that, I plan to get a running coach. I'm not
talking about someone that I will run with every day, but rather, someone that will
help tell me what runs to do and monitor my progress and adjust my running plan. Sure,
I can probably get faster and better on my own....eventually, but a coach will help me
get better in a more efficient manner.

Derek

1 person has voted this message useful

strickvl
Bilingual Tetraglot
Pro Member
Jordan
alexstrick.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4511 days ago

27 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: English*, Dutch*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Levantine)
Studies: Persian, Pashto, Dari
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 16
29 August 2012 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for explaining what I meant better than I was able to do so myself.

And you're right on timings. It wouldn't be necessary to check in too often, just enough to be able to offer those
broader course corrections.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6410 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 16
29 August 2012 at 2:04pm | IP Logged 
Anyone who doesn't advice you to try out various methods believes too much in what he/she preaches. You do need to experiment before finding the best way for you to study - even experienced learners do that as they adjust to the fact that they're becoming experienced. Of course it's good to apply analytical thinking first, ie eliminate several methods just by thinking of them and deciding you're not going to try them right now. But you should narrow it down to a few possibilities, not just one. You need a plan B and plan C in case your plan A turns out inefficient.

And it's much easier to suggest a plan B when there's already a plan A. Just tell us something specific already!!! :o)

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5345 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 16
29 August 2012 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Anyone who doesn't advice you to try out various methods believes too
much in what he/she preaches. You do need to experiment before finding the best way for
you to study - even experienced learners do that as they adjust to the fact that
they're becoming experienced.

This is so true: It's almost like a given technique has only so much to teach you, and
when you've "used it up", you need to try something different. This was most obvious to
me between A2 and B2. I actually suspect that many "intermediate plateaus" are often
caused by some combination of stale techniques and insufficient intensity.

I really like the idea of a "language coach". Sometimes you need an outside
perspective, or moral support, or somebody to tell you it's way past time to fix
a particular phoneme. A good tutor can provide some of this, especially if they're a
polyglot themselves. (I think my French tutor spoke 4 or 5 languages and was working on
some more.)

The big barrier, I think, is that "learning a foreign language" is a quintessential New
Year's resolution—everybody wants to do it, but somehow spending 30 minutes per day on
Assimil for 5 or 6 months is way too big a price to pay. So it would be hard for a
language coach to find enough serious clients to make a living.
2 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4672 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 13 of 16
29 August 2012 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
You find coach, tutor, language classes... whatever, unuseful, but believe me - I've learned B1 (sometimes even B2) Bulgarian with a little effort by language classes during my studies. It doesn't work that good with very distant languages (well, at least for me), but you can believe me - nice classes/private teacher make(s) your language learning much easier. I don't know why you're so sceptic about that.

Edited by prz_ on 29 August 2012 at 4:46pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6410 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 14 of 16
29 August 2012 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
strickvl wrote:
- evaluate current study methods
- set clear goals for the medium term
An evaluation of your methods is an evaluation of your level plus an evaluation of the time, effort and materials that got you there. It's the answer to the questions: can I have got there more efficiently? can I progress faster in the future? can I get further using the same materials?
A tutor can sure help with all of this, especially with the evaluation of your level. Before that, you may want to do some self-evaluation: CEFR checklist. For French, you can also download dialang and do the tests - at the end you'll get some fairly basic advice, of the same kind that most tutors could give you.

Specific goals aren't necessarily a good thing, as you shouldn't get obsessed with completing this or that course, doing such and such repetitions etc. I recommend picking important things from the checklist as goals and always keeping in mind what you want to achieve with what you're doing.

Edited by Serpent on 29 August 2012 at 5:11pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6410 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 15 of 16
30 August 2012 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
The big barrier, I think, is that "learning a foreign language" is a quintessential New Year's resolution—everybody wants to do it, but somehow spending 30 minutes per day on Assimil for 5 or 6 months is way too big a price to pay. So it would be hard for a language coach to find enough serious clients to make a living.
And perhaps more importantly, very few people believe they can achieve something by self-study. Most would prefer some sort of courses if they're available - and it can be quite hard to convincingly explain to someone that you can teach them to learn languages although you don't speak the particular language they want to study. To most people, this sounds too much like "I speak all languages".
And those who believe they don't need teachers are likely to believe they don't need 'coaches'.

Now that I think of it, language coaching probably happens a lot without this name and quite informally. If someone can't find anyone who teaches the language they want to study, they'll probably turn to an English (French, German, Spanish) teacher, asking if they know someone who teaches that language, and if they don't, asking them about independent learning. They'll get some general advice like "do something every day" and some recs on choosing a coursebook ("don't get those that promise fluency in 10 days", plus maybe some specific names of courses available in various languages, like Teach Yourself or Langenscheidt). If they're in touch with the person, they might later be asked, "well, how is your _______?", but nobody will be harsh to them if they meekly admit it's too hard to study without a teacher and they've abandoned it. If they haven't, they can get some more advice and an extra bit of motivation. That's how it happens in real life.

Have you got in touch with that French coach yet?
2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5243 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 16 of 16
30 August 2012 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
Although I have nothing against language coaches, however vague that definition is, I think it's quite evident that a coach is not necessary to learn a language. In my opinion, the best option is usually to take a formal class if that is an option. Self-study is great; I won't knock that around here, of course, but we all know that about 99% of people give up very quickly.

What I think is very useful, even essential, is some kind of individualized attention with lots of corrective feedback. For speaking it is absolutely wonderful to have someone that will correct you and help you express yourself naturally on a one-to-one basis. And this becomes more important as your overall proficiency increases.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version