onebir
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6922 days ago

484 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 19 of 41
06 November 2006 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
I think the last 3 posts show the dogged determination necessary to learn a really difficult language.

Kind of reminds me of "The old man and the sea"!

I'd better do some more chinese, or I'll never improve :P
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6915 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 20 of 41
24 November 2006 at 9:45am | IP Logged 
Unit 12 down, 12 more to go. Vol. I is done.

I think that a break from FSI Hungarian is in order. I have some Polish books that need my attention.

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6477 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian
Studies: French, German

Message 21 of 41
18 December 2006 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
Hi Chung!

Are you still on a break from your Hungarian studies?

I've cut back to only using FSI now and trying to progress with it. Focusing on only one program seems to be what I need at the moment. Plus, I really want to progress in FSI instead of hanging around the first 5 or 6 units.

I admire your dedication to your studies, to get through the first volume. I'd love to have done so myself by now, but too many breaks in between my bursts of motivation have meant that I needed to start all over again from Unit 1. I wonder how long I'll take to actually get through Volume 1.....

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6915 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 22 of 41
20 December 2006 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
Funny that you should mention it. I've been working on Vol. 2 for about 10 days now and I'm about to send my answers for the translation, response and situation exercises in Unit 13 to one of my friends in Hungary for correction.

Earlier in the month, I wanted to take a break from Hungarian since I missed working with Polish and Slovak. Because I have positive associations with Hungarian, Polish and Slovak, it can be hard for me to focus on one of those three languages, since I feel that I'm missing out on the other two which are equally dear to me. I have had the good fortune of making several friends in Hungary, Poland and Slovakia and using their language even in mundane exercises brings up memories of the good times with all of them when I've travelled to Europe.

Recently I was vacillating between focusing only on Polish for the next month or two (to satisfy my urge for lots of Polish) or balancing my studies in Hungarian and Polish. After a couple of weeks of muddling, I decided to press on with Hungarian because of the Hungarian proficiency exam and I wanted to do my studies properly (i.e. focus on one language at a time rather than dilute the effort and do two languages at once. I tried to learn two languages at once earlier this year, and I was disappointed by the lack of progress in both. I felt that I could only give a half-assed effort for each language)

For you, just do what you can and don't give up. I've posted my methods before about how I've been using the books, so I won't repeat myself here. The only comment that I'll make here about my apparent ability to stay on track (more or less) relates to my association with Hungary and Hungarians. I enjoy hanging out with my Hungarian friends, visiting Hungary (4 times and counting) and listening to Hungarian classical music and operas (in particular I've enjoyed watching an old production on my VCR of the operetta "Csárdáskirálynõ" by Kálmán and listening to the singspiel "Háry János" by Kodály. Each of them has humourous dialogues and the last one in particular is interesting for me since the dialogue of "Háry János" is done from the viewpoint of peasants and the language used is quite different from standard language.)

For lack of a better expression, all of this makes my language study "come alive" and keeps me interested.

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6477 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian
Studies: French, German

Message 23 of 41
20 December 2006 at 5:41am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the update!

I've been trying to speak more in Hungarian and have recently been invited back to Hungary in December 2008, so that has spurred me on a little. I guess I'm now just trying to aim for a program that I can STICK to.

At the moment, I'm doing a little reading here and there, FSI and watching an episode of a show in Hungarian or a movie in Hungarian every day or two. I'm also chatting to my Hungarian friends in Hungarian where I can. (Especially the ones on MSN).

Actually, I just bought myself a webcam and microphone so that I can start officially 'chatting'with my online friends and hopefully improve my Hungarian!

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6915 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 24 of 41
23 December 2006 at 5:50am | IP Logged 
Unit 13 down, 11 more to go. On to Unit 14 by next week.

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version