Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6038 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 1 of 8
28 August 2012 at 9:33pm | IP Logged 
I am currently working through my passive phase using Assimil Vietnamese.

I'm confused about when one should move on to the next unit? I spend about 30 minutes each day on one unit
then the next day I move on to the next unit. I do mostly shadowing the conversation and try to understand as
much of it as possible. I can understand pretty much 95% listening to the conversation and 100% reading it by
the end of the day. Unfortunately, trying to re-create the sentences going from English back to Vietnamese is
not as good (maybe 60-70%).

Is it OK to move on to the next unit after 1 day even though I can't recall many of the words going back to
Vietnamese? Is translating English (well, French actually) back to Vietnamese better done in the Active phase?
Just confused since I'm not used to the Assimil method!

Thanks!
1 person has voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5262 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 2 of 8
28 August 2012 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
liddytime wrote:
Is it OK to move on to the next unit after 1 day even though I can't recall many of the words
going back to Vietnamese?

Yes. it is OK. The passive wave should be done "with ease", "without toil". :-)

liddytime wrote:
Is translating English (well, French actually) back to Vietnamese better done in the Active
phase?

That's what the active wave is all about: Translating from base language back to target language.

Edited by tractor on 28 August 2012 at 10:06pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Bjorn
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4677 days ago

244 posts - 286 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 3 of 8
28 August 2012 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
According to Assimil courses I have, translating from L1 to L2 should be done in active phase.

I guess its same for Vietnamese.

Edited by Bjorn on 28 August 2012 at 10:12pm

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5341 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 8
28 August 2012 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
liddytime wrote:
Is it OK to move on to the next unit after 1 day even though I can't
recall many of the words going back to Vietnamese? Is translating English (well,
French actually) back to Vietnamese better done in the Active phase? Just confused
since I'm not used to the Assimil method!

Let me chip in my two cents. I used Assimil for French (successfully, doing just the
basics) and for Egyptian (so far so good, doing lots of effort-intensive "overlearning"
with Anki).

Yes, you can safely leave Vietnamese->French for the active wave. Your numbers sound
just about perfect: 30 minutes, 95% listening comprehension and 100% reading
comprehension. You should be able to cruise ahead like that, sticking to one lesson per
day, and make really solid progress in a month. It's definitely a good idea to maintain
the pace, because Assimil tends to reinforce key concepts at regular intervals, and if
you slow down too much, you may forget things before they get reinforced.

If you want a sanity check, flip back about 30 lessons. If most stuff seems
ridiculously basic, except for a couple of words you've forgotten, you're doing great.
If not, you may need to add something extra to your routine.

If you have some spare time, and you want to occasionally do some extra work, here are
some things that I've found particularly helpful with Egyptian:

1. Re-read the review chapters, and optionally make flashcards for any conjugation
tables or grammar examples that seem useful. This will help you notice the grammatical
details during the lessons. (I've been doing this for Egyptian, and my grammar is much
"crisper" than it was at this stage of French, because I notice more.)

2. Make flashcards from the end-of-lesson exercises. These tend to be much more
manageable and distilled than the lessons themselves. Anki is perfect for this, if
you're so inclined.

3. Review old passive lessons.

Note that (1–3) are optional extras. If you don't have time, or you want to watch TV, I
think it's better to forget them and move on. The same goes for "rough spots": do what
you can, and move on. For example, lesson 26 and 27 of Assimil Egyptian were pretty
evil, but lesson 29 and 30 are fun and useful.

Basically, there's a sort of "Assimil intensity" knob that you control. You can safely
leave it near the lowest setting, but if you want to turn it up, you can probably save
yourself some grammatical cleanup work between B1 and B2. But all the intensity in the
world won't do you any good if you don't keep moving ahead to the next lesson.

Anyway, I hope this helps. If you encounter something worse than the occasional rough
spot or doubt, then it's worth considering more drastic modifications of Assimil's
instructions. But for the most part, it sounds like you're doing it right.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4975 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 5 of 8
28 August 2012 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
I don't do the passive phase with Assimil. I always translate into the target language. I'm not very fond of reviewing, and if I notice Assimil wasn't enough, I start another textbook from scratch. Well, that's just what works better and keeps me motivated, but it also happens that sometimes I can formulate sentences better than understand them.

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6038 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 6 of 8
29 August 2012 at 4:04am | IP Logged 
Great advice!
It is just strangely different for me with Assimil. It goes against everything I have done in the past. FSI/DLI in
particular recommend "over-learning" the material before going on to the next unit. It is weird "half-knowing" the
material before moving on. I like the idea of the "Assimil intensity knob" though. That really puts it in perspective.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6718 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 8
29 August 2012 at 9:54am | IP Logged 
I like both over-learning and half-learning but in different ways. Then there's this question of definition. Does over-learning equal being able to recite the dialogue by heart/writing all the words (including in a different script, if that applies)/knowing the grammar inside out? How long would you spend on a lesson? (The recent discussion I feel like I am the only one! comes to mind) Does half-learning equal "just" being able to get the gist of the lesson?

I think this half-learning is good for motivation since it allows you go to the "sanity check" that Emk mentioned above. If perfection is a goal, it might take "forever" before going on the next lesson.

By the way, the first lessons of any Assimil course are so short so you basically over-learn them anyway, without effort.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4516 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 8 of 8
29 August 2012 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
I use FSI as if it's Assimil anyways. The dialogues lend themselves to that very well and
I just don't repeat drills 5000x because after 2 goes I get the trick. If I don't, I'll
bother with a repeat until I get it.

Assimil is great because yes, it works really intuitively and I always miss something the
first go round. But that's okay. I've never had trouble translating more than "I forgot
this word in lesson 87" when I was in the active wave. Except the Lermontov poem Assimil
threw at me, but that's poetry and a different ball game anyway.

If you don't understand a word, leave it for now - you'll come back to it later.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version