Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
60 messages over 8 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next >>
Torbyrne
Super Polyglot
Macedonia
SpeakingFluently.com
Joined 5854 days ago

126 posts - 721 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, German, Spanish, Dutch, Macedonian, Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, Czech, Catalan, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian
Studies: Sign Language, Toki Pona, Albanian, Polish, Bulgarian, TurkishA1, Esperanto, Romanian, Danish, Mandarin, Icelandic, Modern Hebrew, Greek, Latvian, Estonian

Message 1 of 60
29 August 2012 at 10:38am | IP Logged 
I've been an active online community member now for 4 years and I have enjoyed watching the community grow over that time. Many of us have been meeting up offline and talking to others via Skype way more than we did in the past.

Luca and I would like to take that a step further now and organise annual Polyglot Conferences in Europe and the US (we are open to other continents in the future too, of course!).

What we are trying to do is work with the community to make this something for us all. Of course, we have ideas of things we'd like to do, but we've left it open for the first couple of months to really thought-shower on this.

This forum is where I started really interacting with other learners and I think it is a fitting place to ask for input too. We launched a video on my YouTube channel today with links to further details about how you can get involved.

Luca and I are excited about this and we look forward to hearing from you. :)

Edited by Fasulye on 21 January 2014 at 3:49pm

15 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 60
29 August 2012 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
Splendid idea. If the location of each conference is within reach for a reasonable price I would certainly be interested in attending. It would probably be difficult to get hundreds of participants who acknowledge being polyglots, and I see a risk if it ends up as a pure Anglophone event - there must at least be a room for 'crocodiling' (in the Esperanto sense of the word) - but we have to start somewhere.
4 persons have voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4391 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 3 of 60
29 August 2012 at 11:29am | IP Logged 
Agreed, I believe it would be a great idea and make the community even more lively (not
that it's not though).
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4466 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 4 of 60
29 August 2012 at 12:01pm | IP Logged 
This is a splendid idea and I would love to help organising this. I'm planning to send an
email about this later :)

Torbyrne
Super Polyglot
Macedonia
SpeakingFluently.com
Joined 5854 days ago

126 posts - 721 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, German, Spanish, Dutch, Macedonian, Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, Czech, Catalan, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian
Studies: Sign Language, Toki Pona, Albanian, Polish, Bulgarian, TurkishA1, Esperanto, Romanian, Danish, Mandarin, Icelandic, Modern Hebrew, Greek, Latvian, Estonian

Message 5 of 60
29 August 2012 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Splendid idea. If the location of each conference is within reach for a reasonable price I
would certainly be interested in attending. It would probably be difficult to get hundreds of participants who
acknowledge being polyglots, and I see a risk if it ends up as a pure Anglophone event - there must at least
be a room for 'crocodiling' (in the Esperanto sense of the word) - but we have to start somewhere.

I'd be thrilled to see you there. Certainly English will play a big role. The plan is to have the conferences
based loosely on the Esperanto conference model. We'd have opportunities for participants to interact with
each other, like people do at polyglot bars with name badges with languages marked on them. We want the
event to be both interesting and practical, so we'd like to see talks on various topics from linguistics, learning
techniques and accents to employment avenues for people with language skills. At this stage we need to
gauge who is interested, way people want to see/hear to make it for as wider audience as possible and who
can help realise te logistics of organising such an vent with us. This is a community thing in every sense of
the word! :)

Edited by Torbyrne on 29 August 2012 at 1:14pm

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4474 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 6 of 60
29 August 2012 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
Awesome idea, Richard and Luca!

I'd love to be able to go, but I probably won't =/ Anyway, I'll be expecting you guys in BRazil in the near future =)

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4750 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 60
29 August 2012 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
I don't know him personally, but I think Vincent from the polyglot club in Paris could
give a lot of input, in terms of reception of the event, how to make it attractive, what
people like/want/dislike/hate, etc.

Moreover, you could use other platforms as a start-up, such as the EXPOLINGUA fair or the
Esperanto Congress. ...And of course your poliglotti.eu-performance! ;-)

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4587 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 8 of 60
29 August 2012 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
What is the main purpose, or are the main purposes of the conference?

Is it to encourage polyglottery per se, or is it more a general encouragement of the
language-learning ethic, which is not necessarily about polyglottery (polyglottism?),
but might be as simple as trying to encourage someone to learn one second language?

And is its target audience going to be people who consider themselves already
polyglots, or people who are just interested in learning 2nd, 3rd, or maybe 4th
languages, but who never really think of themselves as polyglots, and don't really have
ambitions in that direction?

After all, HTLAL is specifically a place for people interested in self-learning
languages, which is not necessarily the same as a place for polyglots, although of
course there is some overlap.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version