Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
60 messages over 8 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 8 Next >>
Torbyrne
Super Polyglot
Macedonia
SpeakingFluently.com
Joined 5854 days ago

126 posts - 721 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, German, Spanish, Dutch, Macedonian, Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, Czech, Catalan, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian
Studies: Sign Language, Toki Pona, Albanian, Polish, Bulgarian, TurkishA1, Esperanto, Romanian, Danish, Mandarin, Icelandic, Modern Hebrew, Greek, Latvian, Estonian

Message 25 of 60
26 January 2013 at 9:00am | IP Logged 
The Conference will be going ahead as planned in Budapest. We have to confirm the precise venue location yet. We will be updating the site soon with further details. My ticket to Budapest is booked! :D
6 persons have voted this message useful

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Hexaglot
Luxembourg
christineschmit.com
Joined 5428 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 
Speaks: French*, Luxembourgish*, GermanC2, EnglishC2, SpanishC2, ItalianC1
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Indonesian

Message 26 of 60
04 February 2013 at 12:00pm | IP Logged 
I've booked my flights and a hotel in Budapest and really look forward to the conference and above all to meeting many other language geeks in person!
Who else is going?

Richard, I just noticed that you listed Luxembourgish as a language you have studied. I'd love to have a chat with you in Budapest!
1 person has voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5428 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 27 of 60
23 February 2013 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
I just noticed the conference is seeking small donations to help fund some of the unavoidable costs. As a thank-you to the polyglot community for the tremendous help I have received from people on here and elsewhere, I made a very small donation myself, and urge others to consider doing the same.
8 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachgenie
Decaglot
Germany
Joined 5468 days ago

128 posts - 165 votes 
Speaks: German*, Dutch, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Faroese, Icelandic, Flemish, Persian, Swiss-German
Studies: English, Belarusian

Message 28 of 60
02 March 2013 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
Is Christophe Clugston going to be in attendance?

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5828 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 29 of 60
05 March 2013 at 2:53am | IP Logged 
Sprachgenie wrote:
Is Christophe Clugston going to be in attendance?

err, hope you're just kidding. on the other hand, it would be nice to see him struggling and giving excuses
3 persons have voted this message useful

pingvin10
Groupie
Hungary
Joined 6037 days ago

68 posts - 114 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*
Studies: English, German, Spanish, Turkish

Message 30 of 60
08 March 2013 at 2:02am | IP Logged 
Wow, I've just read about this. What a pleasant surprise, I will be there for sure.

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4968 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 31 of 60
08 March 2013 at 3:59am | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
I just noticed the conference is seeking small
donations
to help fund some of the unavoidable costs. As a thank-you to the polyglot community for the
tremendous help I have received from people on here and elsewhere, I made a very small donation myself, and urge
others to consider doing the same.

If people prefer, there's also a donation link on the Polyglot Conference site itself:
http://polyglotconference.org/donations/. (This avoids the
small % fee that Go Fund Me charges fundraising groups for each donation.)

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 32 of 60
05 April 2013 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
This thread is dead as a dodo, and the same seems to be the case with the homepage made for the project, polyglotconference.com. However one week ago I made a discovery which has brought my own participation into jeopardy - namely that almost all the online activity there has been lately has taken place on Facebook, and I have missed it because I haven't joined that site. And I won't do it - it would be like jumping into a cesspool of timewasting activities including, but not limited to pictures of drunk teenagers.

I read of course the call for contributions, but it was just before I left for a trip to Madeira, and I quickly found out that Paypal also requires that you make an account. Actually I have an account there because I had to pay a stay in a tourist camp in Malawi ten years ago, but I have forgotten its password, so I would have to make a new one. And this time the inquisitive mechanism demanded a mobile phone number. No mobile number, no paypal. There I got stuck (irrespective of whether I went through Paypal itself or the alternative (which just sent me back to Paypal). However yours truly dinosaur don't own such a thing as a mobile phone, and therefore I can't pay through paypal (onless it accepts fake numbers or my regular telephone nummer). I left the problem till after my return, and then I hoped that I also could pay the final fee at the same time - maybe directly to a bank account like I have done with my fee for two Esperanto conferences.

But I returned, and there was absolutely no information about venue or fee or anyting else. I waited and waited, but then I finally went to the Facepage (read Canossa) and saw these ominous messages:

27/3: The website has now been closed for registering your intention to join us in Budapest. If {you} have registered and not yet had your place confirmed, please send us a private message on this page before 3rd April.

24/3: There are limited seats available in Budapest at the venue itself, so you will need to be sure that you're on the mailing list on the website to get the next newsletter from us with registration details.."

Actually I received a confirmation mail early in the process after I had registered through a form delivered by some kind of registration mechanism (possibly at polyglotconference.com), but I have clearly missed any information after that because everything has been happening in Facebook. And in this moment I don't even know whether my confirmation mail still is valid or not, I don't know the venue and I don't know what to pay - if I can find a way around the problem with the obligatory mobile phone, that is. Being unable to send message through Facebook I have sent a 'normal' email with my questions, but so far to no avail.

On the other hand I have moved my summer holiday to May, and I have booked flight tickets and hotel nights, which I can't just cancel, so I'm beginning to feel slightly uneasy about this whole affair. Maybe people without Facebook accounts and mobile phones numbers aren't expected to live on this planet anymore..

Edited by Iversen on 05 April 2013 at 12:06pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version