Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
60 messages over 8 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Torbyrne
Super Polyglot
Macedonia
SpeakingFluently.com
Joined 5854 days ago

126 posts - 721 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, German, Spanish, Dutch, Macedonian, Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, Czech, Catalan, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian
Studies: Sign Language, Toki Pona, Albanian, Polish, Bulgarian, TurkishA1, Esperanto, Romanian, Danish, Mandarin, Icelandic, Modern Hebrew, Greek, Latvian, Estonian

Message 57 of 60
01 March 2014 at 7:55am | IP Logged 
Robert Bigler's talk on his experiences working in interpreting and translation is now up on the YouTube channel. It's been a busy time for me since the conference, so please do forgive the delay in getting the videos into the public domain. I hope to get the rest out ahead of The Polyglot Gathering in Berlin in June and the second Polyglot Conference in Novi Sad in October. :)
7 persons have voted this message useful

Torbyrne
Super Polyglot
Macedonia
SpeakingFluently.com
Joined 5854 days ago

126 posts - 721 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, German, Spanish, Dutch, Macedonian, Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, Czech, Catalan, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian
Studies: Sign Language, Toki Pona, Albanian, Polish, Bulgarian, TurkishA1, Esperanto, Romanian, Danish, Mandarin, Icelandic, Modern Hebrew, Greek, Latvian, Estonian

Message 58 of 60
09 March 2014 at 6:39am | IP Logged 
Carole Westerkamp's presentation from the Polyglot Conference in Budapest is now live on YouTube. It was really interesting to hear her talk about how using language techniques (NLP) can have a positive impact in facilitating language learning. Enjoy! :)
4 persons have voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5319 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 59 of 60
11 March 2014 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
I've heard that "don't think of a pink elephant" line so often, that I really didn't
think of a pink elephant. Both times! (That's not meant to be a dig or anything, just I
do tend to listen to bits about NLP quite often, and the pink elephant receptors in my
brain are probably conditioned)

I wonder how NLP relates to introverts. I noticed the speaker was using lots of
techniques to interact with the audience, which for me (as an introvert) were just
distracting. I tried googling "NLP and introvertedness" and you only get about 1000 hits,
which is remarkably low for a oogle search.

I do suspect that some of this NLP stuff must have implications for language learning
though.
1 person has voted this message useful

Torbyrne
Super Polyglot
Macedonia
SpeakingFluently.com
Joined 5854 days ago

126 posts - 721 votes 

Message 60 of 60
26 March 2014 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
Ryan gave a talk on "Conflict Management" in Budapest. It's always good to hear experience of how we put our language and cultural experiences to good use to earn a crust. One of the main questions I am asked is how to use languages for work. It was for this reason that I was keen to see a range of professions also represented at the conference last year.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version