Tags: Syntax | Grammar | German
 Language Learning Forum : Questions About Your Target Languages Post Reply
Kyle Corrie
United States
Joined 4589 days ago

175 posts - 464 votes 

Message 1 of 7
29 August 2012 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
For anyone out there with German abilities (or research skills) - I'm looking for a
specific grammar rule.

It irritates me when I can't explain why precisely something is done so I thought maybe
someone else knows where I can find the rule.

In certain instances in German, in subordinate clauses, the object precedes the subject
and this defies the typical "the subject is placed directly after the subordinate
conjunction" structure.

For example: "Ich wusste nicht, dass dir das wehtut." or "Ich wette, dass das niemand
hat kommen sehen."

I'd imagine most would indicate an emphasis of some sort, but I'm really looking for a
reason why the object precedes the subject. This way I can have an explanation for why:

"Ich wusste nicht, dass dir das wehtut." is an acceptable construction, but "Ich wusste
nicht, dass das du nicht wusstest." is not.

Any input would be much appreciated.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4604 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 2 of 7
29 August 2012 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
I've checked this in my Duden grammar and the answer is really complicated. I'll do my best.

The word order in these cases depends on whether or not the subject and the objects are pronouns. If the dative object is a personal pronoun and the subject is a noun or a demonstrative pronoun, the dative object normally precedes the subject: "Ich wusste nicht, dass dir (pers. pronoun) das (demonstr. pronoun) wehtut." "Du hast gesagt, dass dir Thomas ein Buch geschenkt hat." It can also come after the subject: "Du hast gesagt, dass Thomas dir ein Buch geschenkt hat."

In the same way, the accusative pronoun can precede the subject, but it doesn't have to: "Sie sagte, dass es Thomas ihm geschenkt habe" or "Sie sagte, dass Thomas es ihm geschenkt habe". "Ich wette, dass das niemand hat kommen sehen" or "Ich wette, dass niemand das hat kommen sehen".

This word order is especially common with reflexive pronouns: "Hast du gesehen, dass sich Gisela die Haare hat schneiden lassen?" or "Hast du gesehen, dass Gisela sich die Haare hat schneiden lassen?".

I recommend getting a good grammar of German, as this is really a complex matter. My Duden grammar has six pages about this topic, so I guess word order is one of the most complicated aspects of German for a language learner.

Edited by Josquin on 30 August 2012 at 2:10pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

Kyle Corrie
United States
Joined 4589 days ago

175 posts - 464 votes 

Message 3 of 7
30 August 2012 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the reply. But considering you found it in your book... Is there a certain
title or some kind of name for this specific structure? What's the heading for the
section? It's hard for me to find more information because I don't even know what to call
it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4604 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 4 of 7
30 August 2012 at 2:08pm | IP Logged 
My grammar is based on the "Stellungsfeldermodell". The information I cited above is titled "Die Besetzung des Mittelfelds".

EDIT: You can google "Besetzung des Mittelfelds". Here is a useful result I have found: Pronomen vor Nomen.

Edited by Josquin on 30 August 2012 at 2:22pm

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6199 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 5 of 7
30 August 2012 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
I've checked this in my Duden grammar and the answer is really complicated. I'll do my best.

I'm glad to see someone uses that. My German friends gave me odd looks for buying a copy, and said Duden was only really known for and used for spelling.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6669 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 7
30 August 2012 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
I leafe through my Duden grammar now and then. :) (It cost me 5 SEK/€0.5 five years ago, how about that!)

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4709 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 7 of 7
07 September 2012 at 4:59am | IP Logged 
I wasn't aware of the "das" as a demonstrative pronoun prescriptive word order like nouns, that's good to know. Though sincerely, I would have intuitively used that order anyway ("dass dir dass weh tut")

I was aware that pronouns precede nouns as a prefered order in German, and especially datives. In fact it is not restricted to subordinate clauses, but inversion in general. For example:

Heute ist ihm die Frau zweimal begegnet. (not "Heute ist die Frau ihm...")

And as Josquin mentioned, this happens with reflexive pronouns but much more optionally.

Hoffentlich beruhigt sich Frau Castellanos / Hoffentlich beruhigt Frau Castellanos sich.

In General, German speakers tend to prefer the former, because they like pronouns before longer nominal or proper nouns. When you replace Frau Castellanos with a pronoun, then you have to keep it right after the verb, you can't put it after "sich":

Hoffentlich beruhigt sie sich.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version