Rob Tickner
New Zealand
Joined 4267 days ago

126 posts - 158 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: GermanB1, French, Swedish

Message 74 of 158
02 October 2012 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
That's it for the 5000 word target. New words are becoming easier to learn, and I'm
starting to feel a real ownership of the language. Newspapers are fairly legible now,
which is nice, though the enjoyment of becoming more familiar with this beautiful
language is reward enough.

I'll let the reviews settle for a few days, then start on the next set (7000).

Again, thanks to those who provided encouraging words.

Edited by Rob Tickner on 02 October 2012 at 2:18pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Rob Tickner
New Zealand
Joined 4267 days ago

126 posts - 158 votes 

Message 75 of 158
03 October 2012 at 1:24pm | IP Logged 
Day 35
Total: 5200
New: 200
Review: 408
Time: 132 mins
1 person has voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5087 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 76 of 158
03 October 2012 at 2:16pm | IP Logged 
Another set of beautiful Anki graphs from you. Well done!

pingvin10
Groupie
Hungary
Joined 6057 days ago

68 posts - 114 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*
Studies: English, German, Spanish, Turkish

Message 77 of 158
03 October 2012 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
Impressive and very inspirational thread.

I'm playing the idea of ordering some T&P 9000 for my studies, but I usually buy pdf
format, so I'm not so familiar with epub and the opportunities with it, and being a
complete computer dummy, I'm interested whether I can transform the wordlist to Anki.

Is there a dumbproof, easy-to-understand way to do this?

To be honest, I wanted to wait for the audioversions of the books, but if I could
transform the books to decks I would save money beacuse of the Google TTS plugin.

Question 2: Is there a way to do this with different books? I can use the English
versions but if I could make native based decks, so Hungarian - Turkish or Hungarian -
Bulgarian (English-Hungarian can be bought), it'd be perfect.

Edited by pingvin10 on 03 October 2012 at 4:21pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4607 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 78 of 158
03 October 2012 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
@pingvin: I have no idea about the Anki aspects of your question, but in principle, one can convert an EPUB to a PDF within the freeware Calibre (and to and from other formats). (There may conceivably be DRM issues, but you need to check out that side of it for yourself).

Rob Tickner
New Zealand
Joined 4267 days ago

126 posts - 158 votes 

Message 79 of 158
04 October 2012 at 3:15am | IP Logged 
Thanks for your kind words.

@pingvin: It's a fairly straightforward procedure to convert if you have the right
tools. How I convert these books into Anki lists:

STAGE 1 - CONVERT EPUB TO TXT

1. Purchase the book and download in ePub format.

2. Download and install Calibre, ebook management software: http://calibre-
ebook.com/download

3. Open Calibre, and click and drag your ePub file into it.

4. Select your ePub file in the list, and click "Convert Books" up the top.

5. Change the output format (top right corner) to "TXT", then click "OK" down the
bottom to start converting. You'll see a spinning wheel in the bottom right corner,
with "Jobs: 1". When the job is complete, you'll see the wheel stop, and the Formats
section on the right side of the screen will change from "EPUB" to "EPUB, TXT".

6. Click "Save To Disk" up the top, pick a folder on the computer, and Save. A new
window will open up, descend through the folders till you find your TXT file.

7. Open up your TXT file (in Notepad will be fine for this step), and make sure all the
special characters show up correctly. In the case of Swedish, ä, å and ö. If the
characters are garbled, you may need to adjust your settings in step 5. Try different
character encodings, etc. If the characters look fine, you're ready to move on to stage

STAGE 2 - FORMAT TXT FILE INTO A FORMAT ANKI WILL ACCEPT

1. If you have a decent text editor already, that supports macros, then load that up.
If not, download Notepad++ from here: http://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.1.8.html
and load it up.

2. Open the TXT file generated from stage 1.

3. What you do now depends on the format of the TXT file that was generated from the
book. In the case of the T&P books, there is some garbage at the start (introduction,
pronunciation) and at the end (footer) that you should delete. Then you will have a few
tens of thousands of rows, with a lot of blank rows in between.

4. Remove the blank rows by pressing CTRL-H (replace). In the "Find what:" field, place
"\r\n\r\n" (without the quotes). In the "Replace with:" field, place "\r\n". Make sure
the Search Mode is set to "Extended". Now click "Replace All". It will take some time,
maybe 30 seconds, then return a number of replacements. Keep clicking "Replace All"
until the number returned is 0. What we are doing here is removing all the blank rows
from your TXT file.

5. The T&P books have section headers, which we'll now remove. These are in the format
"number. title", so we can find them all by hitting CTRL-F (find). In the "Find what:"
field, put ". " (dot space, without the quotes). Every time you press "Find Next", it
will move you in the file to the next heading it finds. We want to delete these. So for
example, it will lead you to "2. Greetings". Delete this line. In some cases, you will
also see chapter headers, which appear in ALL UPPER CASE, e.g. BASIC CONCEPTS. You want
to delete these too. Keep clicking "Find Next" and removing these heading lines until
you can't find any more headers.

6. You will now have a file where the words are in this format:

native language word
target language word
IPA pronunciation
native language word
target language word
IPA pronunciation

We want to get rid of all those IPA pronunciation lines, and move those target language
word lines up to the line above with a TAB, so that we have a file like this:

native language word<TAB>target language word
native language word<TAB>target language word

This is where we use macros. A macro is a sort of "trick" which we can use over and
over again to save ourselves a lot of time. Go to the start of the first line in your
TXT file, and click "Macro -> Start Recording". Then do EXACTLY the below steps:

press the HOME key.
press the DOWN ARROW key.
press the BACKSPACE key.
press the TAB key.
press the HOME key.
press and hold in the SHIFT key.
release the SHIFT key.
press the BACKSPACE key.

Now click "Macro -> Stop Recording". The first line of your TXT file should now be in
the format of the "native language word<TAB>target language word", and your cursor
should be at the start of the second line. Now click "Macro -> Playback", and the
second, third and fourth line should magically be transformed into the second line, in
the format "native language word<TAB>target language word". Now, click "Macro -> Run a
Macro Multiple Times", select "Run until the end of file" and click the "Run" button.
This may take 30 seconds or so.

7. Congratulations, you should now have a list of "native language word<TAB>target
language word" word pairs! Save your file.

STAGE 3 - IMPORT INTO ANKI

1. Open up Anki, click "File -> Import", name your deck, and choose your TXT file for
importing. Click the "Import" button, and your deck will be created. Have fun learning
your new words!

Edited by Rob Tickner on 04 October 2012 at 4:04am

5 persons have voted this message useful

pingvin10
Groupie
Hungary
Joined 6057 days ago

68 posts - 114 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*
Studies: English, German, Spanish, Turkish

Message 80 of 158
04 October 2012 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
Words can't describe how grateful I am, thank you, Rob, for the manual.

This discussion contains 158 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version