United States
Joined 5330 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 3
31 August 2012 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
While browsing through the Assimil catalog, I found the following book (in French),
which gives a history of the company:

Quote:
My Tailor is Rich

Tout le monde a en tête la fameuse formule 'My tailor is rich'. Mais qui sait encore
l'histoire de cette formule, pourtant fondatrice de la pédagogie exceptionnelle
développée par Alphonse Chérel, le créateur de l'entreprise Assimil ? Un personnage
haut en couleurs, un curieux professionnel devenu polyglotte pour mieux connaître le
monde et le faire partager. La success-story de son aventure personnelle est devenue
celle d'une entreprise et même une saga. Elle est portée aujourd'hui par une troisième
génération au service d'une méthode, la fameuse méthode Assimil qui a accompagné les
premiers pas des Français dans des dizaines de langues étrangères et séduit 37 millions
d'utilisateurs à travers le monde.

"My tailor is rich" est l'histoire d'une entreprise mais aussi celle d'une famille et,
à travers elle, le récit de plusieurs générations d'apprentissage des langues.

It sounds like Alphonse Chérel is a pretty interesting polyglot, and I'm actually
rather intrigued to hear the "official" version of the company's history. Has anyone
read this book? And if so, is it worth the effort of tracking down a copy?
3 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5143 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 2 of 3
31 August 2012 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
I own a copy. It is a handsome book, and a great way to indulge your passion for language learning while actually working on one of them.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kronos
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5059 days ago

186 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 3 of 3
31 August 2012 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
I have a copy of 'My Tailor is Rich'. Since I don't really know French (yet) I haven't read it, but repeatedly looked into it and picked up snatches of information here and there.

It has not more than 80 pages and lots of the space is taken up by photographs, a number of them quite beautiful though. Almost half of the book deals with Alphonse's early travels throughout Europe while the later chapters focus on the genesis of the Assimil system and the later development of the company. This is highly interesting, but not as detailed as it could have been, and unfortunately the narrative becomes even more sketchy and anecdotal as it moves on.

There is a lot of family background as well. You get some idea of the man Alphonse Chérel, but he remains a somewhat mysterious figure and for some reason there is only one photo of him in the book (which indeed is reproduced twice). Assimil has been, and still is, essentially a family business, run by Alphonse's son and grandson successively.

Unfortunately the book does not contain a bibliography of the Assimil courses, which is a missed opportunity; it just mentions some individual courses throughout the text, and I noticed that the publishing dates given there are obviously unreliable.

There are a few tidbits. What I found interesting to learn is that the first Assimil course (L'Anglais sans peine) - if I got it right - originally didn't have any accompanying audio material. Chérel apparently got the idea only afterwards and records were produced not before the mid-1930s, and they were a huge success. But the original idea was the bilingual text format.

I also realised that Chérel was already nearing the age of fifty when he devised the method and began writing the courses, which is quite unusual for a product that has such an innovative power. But well, I haven't (and couldn't) studied the earlier chapters in detail yet, maybe there is some backstory I have missed...

-- Overall I'd say this book is almost a 'must' for anyone who is strongly attracted to Assimil, the production is also quite beautiful and the price reasonable, it's just that it could have been more comprehensive and less presentation-like. But even so it's still worth having, it's a nice book.

3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version