Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Essential nonfiction (plus some fiction)

Language Learning Forum : Books, Literature & Reading Post Reply
sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5202 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 1 of 3
31 August 2012 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
I recently came across this reading list for a college which focuses heavily on the "canon" of Western civilization which has a lot of nonfiction (especially philosophy) and some seminal works of fiction. It could serve as a good hit list for people doing super challenges or those whose goals include becoming a "learned" person in addition to studying languages. Many of the works may come originally in a target language, others are so essential that they'd be translated into many of our target languages (especially the classics).

I've also been wanting to read more major modern nonfiction works (as someone who studied international relations, I'm interested in books that deal with politics, international political economy, history, sociology, etc) but I'm finding that many that are on my wish list in English, bestsellers that have been adopted into curricula, aren't translated into my target languages. I'm reading Joseph Stiglitz in French but I have a pile of books in English that I still want to read but I'd love to find a French or Spanish copy to work simultaneously on my target languages. Also, it'd be nice to find a similar "essentials" list for nonfiction, especially contemporary/modern nonfiction published originally in my target languages.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6250 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 3
31 August 2012 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
You might enjoy Professor Argüelles' list of Great Books. As it has a policy of not including books under a hundred years old, also check out the 20th Century Waiting List.

You'll find plenty of original works in all of your languages there.

Edited by Volte on 31 August 2012 at 8:46pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5202 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 3 of 3
31 August 2012 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
Oh excellent! I hadn't spotted that before. Thanks!

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version