Message 9 of 14
08 September 2012 at 12:54pm | IP Logged 
fstop wrote:
megazver wrote:
I am not the fan of the Spanish with Ease, but I am
still working through it, teeth
gritted. It's just... sloppy and an obvious translation of a product aimed at
francophones.

I noticed some strange translations on French with Ease but overall, it's still an
excellent product. Is Spanish with Ease really that bad?

Alright. First of all, forgive me my lack of accents. I am lazy. Now, let's look at the
current lesson I am at. Here's two of the sentences I am to translate into Spanish
today, along with the Spanish answers and the original sentences from the French
version:

I have ordered breakfast to bed.

He dicho que me sirvan el desayuno en la cama.

J'ai dit que l'on me serve le petit dejeuner au lit.

How does "told (them) to serve me" become "ordered" in a direct translation exercise?

That's all I need, with a little milk.

Me basta con un poco de leche

Ca me suffit avec un peu de lait.

Well, this a bit trickier. Not only the English version is kinda incomprehensible on
its own, but you see, "no falta mas" is introduced in this very lesson with "that's all
(I) need" as the translation. I mean, dang, it's even the same amount of the letters as
"me basta con". They couldn't have given a better translation?

The other three English sentences are technically correct, even if they're way more of
a pain in the ass to translate than the ones in the French version, since the French
ones correlate to the Spanish ones almost word by word. The English ones you have to
wrestle with. Heck, I've learned French through the Russian edition of French With Ease
and they've managed to relate Russian to French better, than these people did with
English to French.

There were also some lessons that made me raise an eyebrow, even if you don't take the
shoddy translation into account.

There's the poem with a note that says "oh don't bother understanding or learning this
we just stuck it in so that you'd appreciate how good Spanish sounds." You know, this
is not exactly what I do an Assimil course for. I am a busy Russian, I have bears to
strangle bare-handed for fun and buckets of vodka to inhale, as is daily custom to my
kind. If I want to listen to some Spanish for the sheer sound of it, I'll watch some
Shakira on Youtube and get some exciting swirly butt-dancing as a free bonus to the
language bits.

There's also the lesson that really annoyed me that's basically a page and a half of
festival-related nouns, two thirds of which, I am certain, will never be seen in this
book again. I've consulted the French version again and, of course, a French reader
would have already recognized most of these on his own, since that's who it was written
for. If you're not, you're kinda screwed with this book.
8 persons have voted this message useful

fstop
Canada
Joined 4851 days ago

17 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English
Studies: Mandarin, French

Message 10 of 14
09 September 2012 at 7:52am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the info, Megazver!
1 person has voted this message useful

megazver
Triglot
Lithuania
Joined 5805 days ago

34 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: Lithuanian, Russian*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Polish

Message 11 of 14
11 September 2012 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
New day, new exercises.

The lesson introduces "enganar el hambre" as "stave off (fool) the hunger." So far so
good. The second sentence to translate in the last section of the lesson is "We are
going to eat a little to stave off the hunger." Okay. Oh wait, no, not okay. The answer
is "enganar el estomago", "fool the stomach," using the word that both isn't mentioned
in the lesson and, to the best of my knowledge, hasn't even been introduced yet.

That's fantastic.

Okay, next exercise. "On my birthday, they gave me a camera." Well, Momma Megazver
didn't raise no fool. The lesson is about past participles and the space to fill in is
"... ........" It's not 'dado' for 'gave' as a more naive student would derive from the
mediocre translation, it's obviously "han regalado". Man, I'm good. Let's look at the-
"regalaron". In "... ........"

Man, Assimil Spanish With Ease, you aren't even trying anymore.

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5376 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 12 of 14
11 September 2012 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
fstop - what strange translations did you notice in French with Ease (which is, of all
Assimil products, is the one written by an native English speaker)?

French_please
Joined 4078 days ago

6 posts - 7 votes
Studies: French

Message 13 of 14
16 February 2014 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
I've read that some older courses contains more material. So what should I buy:
1) Assimil espagnol sans peine
2) Assimil L'Espagnol ?

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4476 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 14 of 14
17 February 2014 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
I don't remember French With Ease having any strange translations. I mean, it is weighted toward trying to carry the French phrase structure over to the English whenever possible, especially in the beginning, but the pedagogical purpose of that should be obvious...

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version