Joined 7016 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 9 of 13
03 September 2012 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
numerodix wrote:
luke wrote:
I'm doing 7 Assimil lessons per day most days.

Right, but I guess you mean that you're doing 7 lessons per day but also repeating the same lesson 7 times? So you're still progressing at one per day.

I've been doing 7 different lessons each day. E.G., 35-42 on Monday, 43-50 on Tuesday, 51-58 on Wednesday, etc. I also listen back to earlier lessons at other parts of the day.

So, here are two multi-lesson approaches I've used and I think they are both helpful:

1) Listen to lesson after lesson after lesson (just the dialogs). This may cover 30, 40, 50 or more lessons in a single day. Rip through the entire course in a 2-3 days.
2) Listen to 7 lessons on one day. Repeat each lesson while reading the lesson, notes, exercises, and repeat listen to the lesson again. Rip through the entire course in 2-3 weeks.

I may do multiple waves like this. Eventually, the plan is to circle back and do a more traditional 1 lesson per day approach focusing on pronunciation, translating, writing, etc.

The approach I'm using is the quick start method. I'm not doing it because I'm an advanced student and the material is easy. I'm doing it to get an overview of the entire course and get a lot of words in my head. This is a global approach to be followed up later my a more systematic and intensive approach.

Edited by luke on 03 September 2012 at 11:28pm

8 persons have voted this message useful

Kronos
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5072 days ago

186 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 10 of 13
04 September 2012 at 8:39am | IP Logged 
numerodix wrote:
Thanks guys, but I didn't mean "what do you think Assimil recommends?". I think we all know that. :)

Assimil after all have conceived these courses, they are the ones who have written or produced them, and therefore I first want to see what they themselves have to say. And indeed, if one looks closely, they don't necessarily advise against doing more than one lesson a day if one feels up to it.

Reading about Assimil you often get the feeling that there is some sort of secret mechanism behind doing so-and-so much and not deviate, but I believe these are more general suggestions to hit a common denominator. Particularly if you already have some knowledge of the target language they'd probably be the first ones to suggest that you do more than one lesson a day in this case.
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6250 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 11 of 13
04 September 2012 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
numerodix wrote:
Do we have any recorded history of people doing Assimil really fast?

My problem with Assimil has always been that it's too long. Small booklet, yet if you
do one lesson per day it's going to take months and I don't have the patience for it.
And the lessons are too short; I need more intensity to feel like I'm doing something
worthwhile, to maintain a momentum.

So I've been trying something different. The past week or so I've been doing 5 lessons
a day and rather enjoying it. If I did 5 in a row it would get too repetitive, so I'm
reading a book on the side and every 5 pages I pause and do an Assimil lesson. Since
I'm intermediate in French it's no problem at least for the first half, the material is
easy. But it's still very useful as it fills in many gaps in grammar, pronunciation and
colloquial language.

Is anyone else doing something similar? What are you findings?

Why not just do LR?

The strength of Assimil is that, at its best, it's a fairly gentle graded introduction into a language. I find rushing it works poorly. What is good about it is that you can make progress with a small amount of time regularly.

Edited by Volte on 04 September 2012 at 11:58am

2 persons have voted this message useful

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6594 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 12 of 13
04 September 2012 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
Why not just do LR?

The strength of Assimil is that, at its best, it's a fairly gentle graded introduction
into a language. I find rushing it works poorly. What is good about it is that you can
make progress with a small amount of time regularly.

Essentially because LR tends to bore me and I zone out. I much prefer to read by myself.
1 person has voted this message useful

Icaria909
United States
Joined 5402 days ago

201 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 13 of 13
05 October 2012 at 6:13am | IP Logged 
I have no idea how one could go through an Assimil course very quickly and
comprehensively. I'm currently working through Assimil Spanish and by the time I hit
lesson 40 it will take me around 20 minutes just to thoroughly go through one lesson, and
that's not including any type of review and I'm not even on the active phase yet. If you
review your lessons and hit the active phase, I don't see how you would have trouble
spending an hour to an hour and a half a day just with Assimil. Unless you choose a method
like the one prescribed by Luke, which sounds great to become rapidly acquainted with the
language in short period of time, I really cannot see the utility in doing multiple
lessons a day.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version