14 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
MarcusOdim
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4651 days ago

91 posts - 142 votes 

Message 1 of 14
02 September 2012 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
I've been wondering about it for a while but couldn't find anything that you tell me just how similar they are.
There are tables that show us that Spanish is +- 90% similar to Portuguese
What about Swedish, German and Icelandic?

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6507 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 14
02 September 2012 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
The Icelandic vocabulary is quite different from both the Swedish and the German one, but insofar you can find cognates you will probably find them in Swedish. The morphology is however closer to German - with 4 cases (nominative, accusative, genitive and dative) and a living subjunctive (Konjunktiv). For instance there are prepositions which govern at least the three last cases (right now I try to remember one that governs the nominative). However the word order rules have more in common with the other Nordic languages than with German.

Edited by Iversen on 05 September 2012 at 12:27pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4325 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 3 of 14
02 September 2012 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
The Icelandic vocabulary is quite different from both the Swedish and the German one, but insofar you can find cognates you will probably find them in Swedish...

There are in fact lots of cognates between Icelandic and German, but they might be hard to identify at first, especially if you are not a native speaker of German. There are also quite some false friends however, because the meaning of old words developed often differently.
Still, I found it easier to remember Finnish words (a completely unrelated language to German) than Icelandic words, but that might be due to the fact that I tried to remember a lot more information for Icelandic words than for Finnish ones (declination/conjugation patterns mostly), but the accents are also irritating.
2 persons have voted this message useful

MarcusOdim
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4651 days ago

91 posts - 142 votes 

Message 4 of 14
02 September 2012 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
Would you guys be able to give a percentage of how similar they are?

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6713 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 14
02 September 2012 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
They're all quite different from each other. Nothing like the 90% percentage similarity for Portuguese/Spanish. Maybe Icelanders can pick up a Swedish newspaper and get the gist from it, but I have yet to see a(n untrained) Swede or German doing the same for any of the other two languages.

This is not to discourage you from learning any of the three, but don't expect that any of them will give you superiour skills.

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4469 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 6 of 14
03 September 2012 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
Interesting. So, would you say that learning German would give me no more advantage for learning Norwegian (or Swedish) than whatever I already get from knowing English?

Edited by tastyonions on 03 September 2012 at 12:39am

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6507 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 14
03 September 2012 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
English + German will obviously be better than English alone, but German is not closer to the Nordic languages than English - especially not when you take English loanwords into consideration. Danish and Norwegian received a number of Low German loanwords during the late Medieval period where the Hansa trade league was very active, and there were a lot of contacts with Germany in the 19. century so there will also be a fair number of later loanwords from High German, though not all are evident. And the spelling will mostly be different, not least in Norwegian. So if you want to learn a Nordic language go directly for it, but learning German will by any standard be an excellent idea in itself. And having any two languages in your luggage will make it easier to learn no. 3 because you then have a broader basis for the comprehension of grammar. Btw. there are even French loanwords in the Nordic languages.

Edited by Iversen on 03 September 2012 at 1:07am

5 persons have voted this message useful

MarcusOdim
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4651 days ago

91 posts - 142 votes 

Message 8 of 14
05 September 2012 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
Iversen, you are awesome! hugs

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>